Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sat 22 Apr

67 mins easy, almost all within the confines of Fairview Park, which has had a very significant upgrade of runnable surfaces. Think I covered all of them at least once.

Sun 23 Apr

National Road Relays: 1+ mile, leg 3, (6:05)

Delighted to finally get to wear the Raheny colours at this event, which I've run twice before but with a different club. I was on the B team, running leg 3. Because the M50s got their own race this year we didn't have to mix it with the M35s as usual, but with only 11 teams in our race, it was always going to get spread out. My own leg 3 was a lonely affair, starting 20 secs behind the runner in front and even more in front of the runner behind. Under those circumstances a runner of my standard is rarely every going to have anything except a solo run around the course and so it was. It's hard to get the pace up to an honest level in those circumstances, for me anyway, and I just ploughed around the course. There was terrific support on the home stretch which propelled my pace up to relatively heroic levels at the end. A mediocre time even by my standards but I really enjoyed this - it's great to have the opportunity to participate in a national race again, and the home support was epic. Good to bump into some familar faces. Said hello to @scotindublin who put in an excellent shift, and thanks also to @Lazare for coming out to support and capture some of the proceedings on video. A very good club day out - our men's teams were out of the medals but the women were fantastic as always.

• This week: 60k (37 mi)
    • This month: 250 (155)
    • This year: 1,082 (672)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Was way behind with your log. Finally caught up. Fab 10Km pb and good battle with C too in the mile race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done yesterday Denis, as you say super event, great support and even the weather played ball.

Roll on the relays 2024 and the 1% slower us old lads can look forward to :)

Thanks D - well done yourself, wouldn't have fancied doing that two-mile leg you got stuck with!

Final week of the base-building phase. Looking forward to introducing some hill sessions from next week. In other news, FOMO kicked in and I signed up for the Bob Heffernan / Mary Hanley 5k next month. 

Mon 24 Apr

73 mins easy on the seafront. Legs feeling OK - feeling right hamstring slightly after yesterday’s race. 

Tue 25 Apr

Rest day.

Wed 26 Apr 

AM: 115 mins with 90 at sub-threshold.

A conference presentation today which often causes some low-level anxiety and sleep disruption. Was awake very early and knowing I would not get back to sleep I decided to get today’s steady session out of the way at dawn. Glad I did this - a lovely run up the Howth Road and out past Baldoyle onto the Greenway, where I turned halfway to Portmarknock and headed home the same way. Loved this, felt pretty strong all the way. No problems. Nailed the presentation later. 😉

PM: 20 mins recovery

The boy had a hurling match in Clonshaugh so I jogged around the pitches during the pre-match warmup. Sluggish enough in fairly long grass and some heavy ground. Not a big fan of double days.

Thu 27 Apr

Easy hour, almost all of it in Fairview Park, covering all the paths in there. Seem to have become a Strava ‘local legend’ on a segment along one of the new paths. No doubt someone will come after my crown. 😎

• This week: 49k (31 mi)
    • This month: 289 (186)
    • This year: 1,131 (703)
    Post edited by Murph_D on

• Advertisement

Fri 28 Apr

Easy hour on the seafront with some strides at the end. 

Sat 29 Apr

76 mins easy

No parkrun this week, due to some competing qctivities. Drove out to Baldoyle later and explored the various trails around the old racecourse, before joining the greenway out to Portmarnock. Warm and windy!

Sun 30 Apr

LR: 2 hours with 90 mins steady.

After some delays, not unrelated to being up late last night watching snooker (which was like watching a chess match), eventually made it to the Phoenix Park for a second long steady run of the week. Felt great in the first half of this, then things got trickier as the sun became a factor. Just tried to keep the HR where it should be and forget about the pace. Park and Liffey looking magnificent. Enjoyed picking up the pace for the last km. Big week mileage wise at 61.

And that’s it for the base phase, and for April.

• This week: 98 kms (61 mi) 529 mins
    • This month: 347 (216)
    • This year: 1,180 (733)

Ok, onto the hills phase of the programme. Always feels good to be introducing something a bit different to what's been going on. In other news, I've started browsing some Berlin marathon Facebook groups. Some pretty mad stuff on there, like someone recommending bringing your own bottled water on the plane (and presumably drinking it out of a camelback) to avoid the supposedly undrinkable on-course hydration. I mean, Jaysus - one true believer proves another 40,000 runners wrong. 🙄

Mon 1 May

45 mins easy around the Griffith Avenue area. Wore the HR strap to check I was keeping to recovery levels, no issues there.

Tue 2 May

'Hill sambo' - 20m steady, 6 x 20s hills, 20m steady.

Struck out from TCD towards the Phoenix Park starting the steady stuff just past Capel Street. The quays are a terrible place to run but not much choice really, and at least the pedestrian traffic thins out a bit from Ormond Quay (but not as much as you'd like). Was hopping up and down into the oncoming bike lane to get some room, but it's become a bit of a Deliveroo superhighway so a bit stressful. Headed along Conyngham Road by the Park wall until the 20 mins beeped just before the Chapelizod Gate, 3 mins recovery in the park then 6 x 20s repeats up towards St. Mary's. Felt great on these actually, taking the first couple quite handy and pushing the last few. Stayed in the park for the homeward steady section through the S Bends and Military Road and Wellington Road then back down the quays to the Courts. Delighted with this one, feeling good in the warm part of the day.

Wed 3 May

More recovery (56 mins) almost all of it in Fairview Park and around the Alfie Byrne / Easy Wall loop.

• This week: 31 kms (19 mi)
    • This month: 31 (19)
    • This year: 1,211

Thu 4 May

62 mins easy down through East Wall to the Port. Sneaked onto the new greenway again. A little bit more of the tarmac is complete, but construction seems to have stalled, even though 95% of the Promenade Road stretch seems complete. 

Fri 5 May

‘Miles and strides’ day with M and D in St. Anne’s. 55 mins total, including a few drills and strides towards the end. This run took me past 20,000 miles since I started tracking mileage in 2012.

Sat 6 May

63 mins inc. parkrun (23:46) 

Jogged out to St. Anne’s then lined up for a progressive jaunt, starting very easy in the crowd and dealing it up close enough to 5k pace for the last km. Found myself in a sprint finish against a young lad. As I said to M afterwards, I wouldn’t have taken him on if I didn’t think I’d take him. 

Sun 7 May

LR: 2 hours

Hooked up with DD again for a nippier than usual easy run on Dollymount, up the coast and back for a lap of St. Anne’s. Stunning morning for it. Tired afterwards but happy to have clocked up another decent week.

• This week: 86 kms (53 mi) 480 mins
    • This month: 86 (53)
    • This year: 1,266 (787)

Week two of the hill transition. Slight modification to volume with a view to being fresh for Bob & Mary next week, although there has been a lot of work stuff going on lately and I’ve been a bit surprised at how stressful some of it has been, so maybe won’t be as fresh as I would have liked. But such is life.

Mon 8 May

55 mins easy.

I had a job interview this morning. (I’m an aul lad but still fairly entry level at my current profession.) This had caused a good bit of the stress mentioned above, although I was pretty happy with my performance. It occurred to me that if interviews were marathons, it would be up there with one of the better ones. Not Chicago, but maybe Dublin 2017. 😉 That thought occurred afterwards, when I went out for a jog around the neighbourhood, stopping off at my mother’s house. For a very easy run I felt really shite and even stopped to walk for a minute, despite the very slow pace. I’d noticed an elevated heart rate beforehand, and put it down to tiredness plus a bit of other stuff that’s going on. So not a pleasant run but one where I still learned a bit about living with how my body works. 

Tue 9 May

Steady/hills day: 15mins steady, 6 x 30s hills, 15 steady. 

Jogged out to Clontarf having arranged to meet M who would join at my steady pace. Steady out towards the causeway, 3 mins recovery back to St. Anne’s then 6x30s on the trusty hill at the corner of Mt. Prospect. After the first one we turned and noted the heavy skies which within half a minute had opened to create very squelchy hill sprint conditions indeed. Bit of craic all the same. Totally soaked for the homeward steady. Excellent session in great company.

Wed 10 May 

Took the day off. Let the shoes dry out. 😁

Thu 11 May

90 mins with 60 @ steady

Up the Royal Canal for this - closed between Binn's Bridge and Cross Guns (hopefully for greenway construction), so had to go up the Whitworth Road, past the former hospital where my ma used to work decades ago. I like running up here actually, used to be one of my school walking route variations back in the day. Started the steady section around Cross Guns up the canal, turning around a bit short of the M50. Good bit slower on this one than the other day’s steady stuff, but them’s the variations and I’m more than happy to accept the HR feedback and go with the flow. Downhill/downwind return leg definitely more fun! Great to have this excellent running route on my doorstep.

• This week: 42k (26 mi)
    • This month: 128 (79)
    • This year: 1,307 (812)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Good luck, always fun starting a new Job/Role

• Advertisement

Cheers, but I haven't got the job yet! Either way, though, there will be change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Long overdue catchup. Congrats on smashing your 10 k PB and some great mile racing/pacing in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I love your attitude re that Mon run. The best will always get something out of a 'bad' or unpleasant run.

Fri 12 May

50 mins easy/recovery

An overnight stay in Kilkenny provided an opportunity for a pre-breakfast trot along the More, tracing the route of the abandoned Kilkenny-Inistioge canal for a couple of miles before the route ran out and I crossed to the other side of the river for the homeward trot. Helped an elderly woman carry a very heavy bike down some steps. Beautiful route - hopefully will get back down here sometime to explore the some more of the riverside trails.

Sat 13 May

67 mins easy around the local 7-mile loop in Donegal. Absolutely glorious day in the NW.

Sun 14 May

No running - a long time since Sunday was a rest day but just didn't feel like it.

• This week: 62k (38 mi)
    • This month: 148 (92)
    • This year: 1,327 (825)

Week three of the hill transition. No hills though - Swapping in the Bob Heffernan 5k instead. 

Mon 15 May

An hour easy on the coast with some strides.

Tue 16 May

Bob Heffernan & Mary Hanley 5k. Brief report to follow.

Wed 17 May 

45 mins recovery around St. Anne’s park during the lad’s GAA training. 

Thu 18 May

An hour easy, up Griffith Ave and a couple of laps of Albert College Park. I did a good few of my sessions in this park preparing for Berlin 2014 so it was interesting to jog around contemplating how different the approach to the same race is this year, with not a lot of speed work. 

Fri 19 May

Rest day. Enjoyed relaxing as the year’s teaching work had come to a close the previous evening, and I was still buzzing after a really positive end to the term towards the end of a difficult week work-wise. Delighted also to see the excellent results coming out of Leixlip tonight, well done especially to @Lazare for crushing his difficult target. 💪

Sat 20 May

Another easy hour after dropping a bunch of teenagers to a GAA match in Balbriggan. As someone else was on collection duty I stopped off on the way home, parking at the Swords end of the Broadmeadow estuary and running to Malahide village and back. Lovely morning for it, and the estuary is a nice place to run - not surprised they used the location to good effect in Bad Sisters

Sun 21 May

LR: 130 mins with 90 @ sub-T. 

I was a bit ‘dehydrated’ after dinner out last night with A, but woke up feeling pretty decent and tested my resting hr on the pulse oximeter, which suggested I was good to go for a decent LR ‘with stuff’. So I stuck the 90 mins steady session I’d avoided during the week into the LR instead, heading up the Dodder on a beautiful morning for running. Sympathy for Leinster Rugby as I passed Lansdowne Road - noticed plenty of abandoned cors 😉 outside suburban southside hostelries such as The Dropping Well so I can imagine the sorrows that were drowned for the second year in a row. My HR strap wouldn’t connect so I reverted to the built-in sensor for this run - it seemed to work well enough if a little spikey. Good run to end a long week. 

• This week: 78 kms (48 mi) 425 mins
    • This month: 225 (140)
    • This year: 1,405 (873)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks for that D 😊👍

(Tue 16 May)

Bob Heffernan and Mary Hanley 5k (20:17)

Well what can I say, rocking up to a proper 5k race for the first time since Jingle Bells 2021. Night time races are difficult, aren’t they, having to deal with the nerves all day. I’d gotten some bad news on the job front the day before and hadn’t been in the best of form for the 36 hours before the race (might as well get that out there - not an excuse for the performance, and some runners would use that kind of news to blow the race out of the water, but I was just a bit dejected). I started to cheer up though when I warmed up with DD and our clubmate 'young Conor'. I noticed I was not feeling good at all during this, though. Put it down to the long day’s anticipation and I remembered how awful I felt before my last race here four years ago which is still my PB.

Yikes. Four years. Where does the time go?

Cut to the race. I was chilled about the start. It’s always the same so no point in getting worked up about the congestion. I just listened for the siren and started the watch early, on the slow jog up to the start mat, so I knew I had about 7 seconds to subtract, but of course my average pace stat was now a bit off. No matter. Just stay out of trouble in the first km. Did just that, getting into the pace (maybe a few seconds fast in retrospect). Only two turns in this race - the first of them after the first km split (3:55). In the second km I was still a bit concerned about how difficult it was all feeling, not a lot of confidence that the effort was sustainable but I hoped for the best and kept it going pretty well (3:58), passing a clubmate and a few others who’d probably overdone things in the first leg. By the third km though I could feel the will to dig in just slipping away. I’d noticed a Longford aul lad go past - probably a category rival but didn’t summon the usual resources to try to latch on and get towed along. I was really starting to miss the MSB sub-20 group I’d latched onto last time out, as well as running alongside @Lazare for a good spell of his sub-20 debut. More and more runners started to go by as I failed to keep pace with the field (4:08).

Didn’t bother with the watch anymore, trying to keep it respectable and resist the urge to stop. Got a bit of the dry retches in km 4 and felt the pace drop even more as I tried to get it under control (4:15). At the second turn with a km to go the marshal suggested we were still on 20 min pace. Yeah, twenty what, I thought to myself. I did manage to pick things up a bit on this final leg but still going backwards. A young wan passed, encouraged by her pacer as he let her off the leash. Last time out, @mister paul had tried to slip past at this point of the race and that had been the motivation to close it out in style. No such feeling or opportunity this year. Around the bends and at last you get sight of the line and I knew the number on the clock would not be friendly. I mustered enough to take the young wan on the line, and in retrospect the 20:17 chip time is as good a result as I deserved.

Not too disappointed - 5k races take a bit of practice, as DD pointed out (after his own fabulous run). Great to feel the BH buzz again - it’s a great race with a deep field - and nice to be part of this year’s Raheny contingent. 

• Previous PB: 19:40 (Bob Heffernan 2019)
    • Target: 19:5x
    • Actual: 20:17
    • Posn: 409 (of 744)
    • 8th M60 (of 23)
    • VDOT: 49.0
    • AG: 80.0%
    • Verdict: Running to stand still

Big week, big minutes, big hills.

Mon 22 May

GAA hour - 65 mins easy around St. Anne’s.

Tue 23 May

40 mins easy around Fairview Park.

Wed 24 May 

62 mins easy up the Howth Road and back via the coast.

Thu 25 May

This week’s steady run - 60 mins around 75% HRR, up the Malahide Road at rush hour. Traffic was a bit annoying. 

Fri 26 May

Another 55 mins easy around St. Anne’s with M, DD, and C. Some drills and strides under DD’s instructions.

Sat 27 May

Corkscrew hill session (3.5 ascents). I kept avoiding this session last year by always being away or racing at the crucial times. No such luck this year! Headed to the famed hill with M and D and Young C. A couple of miles warmup then we gathered at the bottom of St. Fintan’s Road. 500m uphill on the bottom half of the road as far as Sutton Park school, a minute recovery, then 500m again up the much steeper second half. It’s well named and I did OK not to walk during the second half. It didn't get any easier as it went along. The other lads did four reps. I was given permission to leave it at three, although I ended up at three and a half. As hill reps go, this was as hard as it gets.

Sun 28 May

LR: 132 mins easy out through the south city including a lap of UCD. Sneaked onto the new track for a couple of laps. Bouncy enough. Didn't eat enough before this and was struggling by the end.

• This week: 94 kms (58 mi) 537 mins
    • This month: 319 (198)
    • This year: 1,499 (932)

And after one of the biggest weeks ever, I ran once this week before succumbing to a summer cold.

Mon 29 May

50 mins easy, on the Grand Canal, lost in thought. More life changes ahead!

Tue 30 May - Sun 4 Jun

No running. Didn't even consider it. Sore throat, cough, sneeze, snots. No covid though!

May total: 328 km (204 mi)

Hopefully the unscheduled 'rest' will have some benefits. Normally I'd shake this kind of thing off in a day or two so either I'm getting less resilient or the bug was a bit more powerful than expected. Pity to miss out on that warm weather training opportunity though!

• This week: 9 kms (5 mi) 50 mins
    • This month: 0 (0)
    • This year: 1,508 (937)

This week's locations range from Donegal to Dublin to the Basque Country. Holiday running alert! Cold still lingering somewhat, so I wasn’t feeling up to anything session-like. But I did manage to get out every day (not necessarily the best decision in some cases).

Mon 5 Jun

50 mins plus, nice and easy around the local Donegal loop. First run in a week, probably a bit early judging from a couple of coughing fits loud enough to alarm the local sheep. 

Tue 6 Jun

60 mins easy on the Clontarf seafront. First of several water bodies I’d encounter this week. Still a bit snottery.

Wed 7 Jun 

On the car ferry en route from Rosslare to Bilbao. Two miles around the deck. Stupid I know, but couldn’t resist!

Thu 8 Jun

45 mins easy. 

We were staying a couple of nights in a Basque farmhouse up a mountain. Lucky enough to find a relatively flattish route on roads and forest trail. Very humid but a lovely run. The forest in this part of the world looks very Irish, it could have been Djouce.

Fri 9 Jun

55 mins around Bermeo, the primary Basque fishing port and therefore the equivalent of Killybegs. 😉 A few parallels actually, including the smell of fishmeal on the outskirts of town. 🤢 Ended the run on a beautiful local beach and had a very refreshing dip. 🏊‍♂️

Sat 10 Jun

On to San Sebastián. An easy hour up and down the beachfront (all three town beaches). Nice town, site of a few boardsie marathon achievements over the years. Swanky enough too. Full of French rugby fans this weekend though, as the Top 14 semifinals were taking place here for some reason. At least that explained the higher-than-expected accommodation prices. 

Sun 11 Jun

LR - well, 80 mins anyway. Up early to avoid the San Seb crowds this time, which meant dealing with some slight, er, “dehydration”. 😇 Explored the riverfront and back around the beaches again. Lots of runners around - the locals seem to run in packs, wearing identical shirts. Not the friendliest I've ever encountered but I waved at most of them nevertheless. I think the ones who waved back were mostly tourists like meself. 

As I’ve said before, I like holiday running and this week is no exception.

• This week/month: 64 kms (40 mi) 373 mins
    • This year: 1,571 (977)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I just went on to Strava to see what your GPS looked like for your deck run! No map though? Fair play to you. Did anybody give you strange looks?

Ha - had to set watch to indoor run because the boat was moving at 22 knots which would have given useless data. Yes a few stares but not much weirder than walking laps of the deck, which plenty of people were doing. I wouldn’t bother doing it again, just another running location box ticked!

Holiday running w@nker alert!

Mon 12 Jun

Just over an hour exploring the waterways of Zumaia, a nice little town on the Basque coast with some very dramatic cliff scenery. A balmy 22 degrees but felt a good bit hotter, so tough enough going despite the leisurely pace.. 

Tue 13 Jun

Zumaia hill pyramid: 2 x 10/20/30/40/30/20/10 secs.

The town itself is fairly flat but there’s a nice incline along a cut-through (literally a cutting through a hill) to the beach, a steady grade that turned out to be just long enough for the 40 second reps - happy days. I was a bit wary of a holiday hill session but felt I really grew into this one, it’s that kind of session. Felt stronger as it went along. Had to avoid a few people strolling to and from the beach but not too many funny looks. Warmup and cooldown brought the workout to 60 mins total (9.5 kms).

RIP Christy Dignam, one of the good guys. 😥 Good to read some of the lovely tributes.

Wed 14 Jun

42 mins recovery along the coast in nearby Getaria. They really know how to design coastal walks around here - a totally traffic-separated promenade right over the water, stretching on for miles. Fabulous. Nice sea breeze to temper the afternoon sun.  

Thu 15  

55 mins easy along the banks of the river Nervion in Bilbao, the final destination of the hols. Late evening and very hot - a bit of a chore but another one ticked off. Riverfronts are a great way to explore a new place as it minimises the chances of getting lost. Lots going on as the town gears up for the weekend Pride celebrations. 

Fri 16 Jun

No running - at last a day off!

Sat 17 Jun

Two hours easy. Better to get the long run done today as we are travelling home tomorrow on the ferry. Up with the dawn to avoid the heat - tracing a route northwards along the estuary, getting a chance to explore more of this vibrant city. Mingling with local revellers returning home from the clubs, then seamlessly blending with the early dog walkers, work commuters and runners and cyclists. The route took me through the city centre and alongside some very nice docklands apartment development with fabulous riverfront walkways. It really shows you how much better the Liffey could look, despite the improvements that have been made. Eventually got out of town and through some grungier neighbourhoods and shipyards, before turning back and retracing the route.

Through 1,000 miles for the year, two days earlier than last year. Loved this run and demolished the hotel buffet breakfast afterwards.  

Sun 18 Jun

No running, travelling home.

• This week/month: 59 kms (36 mi) 340 mins
    • This year: 1,630 (1,013)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sounds like a lovely break D & always nice to get some running done exploring places too. Well done on passing the 1,000 miles too😊

Final week before the marathon-tuning stuff starts. So the last week of the 'hill transition'.

Mon 19 Jun

Starting the week with a rest day, most of which was spent travelling from Bilbao.

Tue 20 Jun

30 mins @ MP, 8x20s hills. 

Hooked up with M for this one. Last time we did a variation on this session the heavens opened, and it was threatening rain again. That would have been welcome, but it held off. We kicked off the MP along the seafront. No problem there, comfortable enough except on the uphill final km where we veered away from the seafront towards the Howth Road to do the hill repeats near Harry’s Pub (M likes to stick an uphill finish into pace sessions). 20 seconds is a nice time for a hill repeat, long enough to get into stride but not long enough to drive you to despair. Enjoyed these, and the company always helps. About 85 mins work including the warmup and cooldown.

Wed 21 Jun

55 mins very easy on the seafront with C. Creaky and tired.

Thu 22 Jun

50 mins easy, mostly in Fairview Park. Strava local legend status reclaimed! 👑

Fri 23 Jun

1 hr 55 mins including 90mins sub-threshold. Strapped on the HRM for the first time in a while. Another muggy evening but I was feeling comfortable enough in the 75-80% HRR range this session requires. Tired towards the end and could have knocked off a bit earlier (85-90mins was the guidance) but stuck with it for the full 90. Could have recovered better afterwards but dinner and pints were on the menu.

Sat 24 Jun

36 mins recovery. 

Fairview parkrun - first lap with the mrs, then the last two in the company of @Annie get your Run. Plenty of chat and the odd rant! Very, very warm.

Sun 25 Jun

Two hours LR.

Headed out in the rain at 9am to the Phoenix Park via Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Cabra. It was drying up when I got into the park for an anticlockwise lap of the perimeter, heading home via the NCR. Felt quite strong despite poor sleep. Glad of the pre-run porridge. 

• This week: 84 kms (52 mi) 466 mins
    • This month: 206 (128)
    • This year: 1,714 (1,065)

Project Berlin 2023

OK. Berlin specific phase starts here. It feels like the past six months have been part of that build-up, and that's because they have. The approach to this race will mirror last year's, and the schedule (kindly designed by DD for Chicago 2022) is the same. I am lucky to have access to the advice of DD and a few others but I suppose this year’s quest is a bit less ‘supervised’. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I got through the marathon specific phase really well last year, with no niggles or any hiccups. But I have to say I am feeling a bit more weary going into it this year. The mileage is about the same as last year so I can probably attribute that feeling to advancing age and (more likely) a slightly less than monastic lifestyle. And the two of those things do not go well together.

I don’t think I have more than a couple more 'proper' marathon seasons in me. I will probably do plenty more, but not with the same dedication. Berlin will get the treatment, and so will London 2024, the latter being probably the swansong in terms of a fully dedicated approach. If I get to complete the highly dubious 'Marathon Major' collection in Tokyo (or one of the mooted expansion cities) it will be on a more casual basis for sure.

None of which means I don’t want to remain competitive - I certainly do - but with less emphasis on the marathon.

That said, Berlin starts now. I want to get my own marathon vibe going and it’s great to see the novice/mentors thread kicking into life. It's always an inspiration and @MisterJinx and crew are doing a fine job cultivating and curating that thread. The rest of Boards is quiet enough, and I hope more of the experienced heads will log their marathon and other efforts, although the truth is that there are so many other outlets for doing that. (And of course I am using a few of them myself).

But we are Boardsies and this is the game. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Fair play D, you are already putting in some very impressive mileage but for me it's the consistency year on year, the sound advice & support you offer whilst training hard yourself , I hope this year is no exception for you in Berlin & you have a great day!

I have been quiet myself around here but I will be logging more regularly now with the marathon training & like you said it would be great to see fellow boardsies logging again!

Very best of luck with this block😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Great stuff Murph. Best of luck with the Berlin block. I might get back there myself one day 😉 I might even update my log after your Boardsie Call to Arms!

Thanks E - a lot of my inspiration comes from the achievements of runners like yourself so please do go into as much detail as possible 😉

And J - that would be great actually. I've noticed some very solid work on Garmin Connect recently, would be good to hear about how you've approached your running after the Manchester disappointment (for want of a more appropriate word).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

90 mins sub threshold, serious strength, think i'd be a bit 🤢 especially with the recent humidity

Best of luck with the Berlin block D. Have you ran/raced Berlin before?

Advertisement