Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DE razor beginner

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Once you get the hang of lathering, give Stirling soaps a try, serious amounts of slickness.
    They like a lot of water though to get them to lather properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Quick one, how many shaves would ye get out of 1 blade roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I prefer 2. Max 3.
    zweton wrote: »
    Quick one, how many shaves would ye get out of 1 blade roughly?

Hello all,

It's been 6 months that I am using Edwin Jagger knurled DE razor along with Astra blades. It's been an amazing experience!!

I would like to experience a more closer shave and looking for recommendations either for the safety razor or blades.

What's your views where razors have adjustable setting from 1 to 3 for a closer shave??

Blades are a very personal choice, as what I could suggest working for me might be terrible for you. A sample pack is usually the best way to go on that, or somewhere like tryablade.

For razors, it depends on what you want to spend.
    Rockwell 6S is considered to be very good, and has the different plates to adjust the aggressiveness of the shave, which saves you having to buy loads of razors, but they're hard enough got.
    Aside from that, you may find a better blade, or improvement in your technique will give you a closer shave.

How many passes do you do normally?

• Advertisement

Thanks for getting back quickly. I may find something on discounted rate on given it's Amazon Prime Days today and tomorrow.

I am happy to spend 50 euros on a razor now.

I do one pass only except chin area where I have do 2-3 passes.

I would prefer to have 2-piece system razor rather than 3 pieces. Such as this one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Merkur-Chrome-Plated-Polished-Finish/dp/B00375BUQ8/ref=sr_1_70?crid=364IOZLHDUOEX&dchild=1&keywords=razor+double+edge&qid=1602601033&sprefix=razor+double+%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-70
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    Blades are a very personal choice, as what I could suggest working for me might be terrible for you. A sample pack is usually the best way to go on that, or somewhere like tryablade.

For razors, it depends on what you want to spend.
    Rockwell 6S is considered to be very good, and has the different plates to adjust the aggressiveness of the shave, which saves you having to buy loads of razors, but they're hard enough got.
    Aside from that, you may find a better blade, or improvement in your technique will give you a closer shave.

How many passes do you do normally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I use https://www.shaving.ie/products/merkur-34c-hd-safety-razor.html and I found Personna blades the best. Get a sample pack.

I have some facial hair and no not shave my entire face. For what I do shave, neck etc, I just use water. Works perfect.

Have a look at Maggards, they do their own razors and plenty of other stuff. Also have a huge collection of soaps, brushes etc.

If you're only doing one pass, I assume with the grain, you're not gonna get a close shave.
    DE razors need multiple passes to give you a good shave, as they reduce the hair with each pass, not all at once. Ideally with the grain, across the grain and against the grain for that baby smooth face.

Before you spend money on stuff you might not need, look to improve your technique so you can do the above and you'll notice an enormous difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Hello all,

It's been 6 months that I am using Edwin Jagger knurled DE razor along with Astra blades. It's been an amazing experience!!

I would like to experience a more closer shave and looking for recommendations either for the safety razor or blades.

What's your views where razors have adjustable setting from 1 to 3 for a closer shave??

I would try a feather blade in your EJ and see how you get on.
    That should give you a nice mix of mild razor and ultra-sharp blade.

https://www.shaving.ie/products/feather-hi-stainless-platinum-razor-blades.html

If you're interested in buying a two piece razor, I have one of these boxed new and unused for sale.

http://www.knightsshavingshop.com/merkur-38c/

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Whilst Feathers are generally acknowledged to be the sharpest of blades, I personally find Nacet blades are better for me. I get an exceptionally close shave irrespective of razor, they last a lot longer than most other blades (10-15 shaves at least per blade) and can be purchased online for around 10-12 euro for 100 blades delivered.

• Advertisement

Alot of you are suggesting to improve the shaving technique. But I am not sure what can be improved. I am shaving for the last 6 months and explored different techniques already.

I found online that "Open-comb razor" will give a closer shave. Not sure how true is that. At the moment I have closed comb Jagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I use an adjustable Merkur, and find it good, have it about 10 years, i used Feather blades for years, but prefer the Russian Voskhod blades now, get 2 shaves from a Blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

furiousox wrote: »
    I would try a feather blade in your EJ and see how you get on.
    That should give you a nice mix of mild razor and ultra-sharp blade.

If you're interested in buying a two piece razor, I have one of these boxed new and unused for sale.

http://www.knightsshavingshop.com/merkur-38c/

I second trying the feather blade. Very sharp!

Alot of you are suggesting to improve the shaving technique. But I am not sure what can be improved. I am shaving for the last 6 months and explored different techniques already.

I found online that "Open-comb razor" will give a closer shave. Not sure how true is that. At the moment I have closed comb Jagger.
    If you're only doing one pass, you won't know if it's good until you try going across or against the grain.

Again, this is assuming you're doing your one pass with the grain.

With the grain will get rid of most visible stuff.
    Across the grain will reduce it more, but you can still feel stubble.
    Against the grain will have it smooth as.

You may need to learn to map your face/neck to get the three passes done correctly.

I wouldn't listen to any of us on blade recommendations unless it's to get a sample pack.
    Example: Feathers don't work for me, but they do for my dad. The Gillette yellows I use don't work for him, etc.

Yes, i am doing the one pass with the grain, and maybe bit across the grain near the jaw. But never tried against the grain using DE razor. I have done against the grain using Gillette mach on special occasions only and it made my skin dry.

Thanks everyone for your views on the blade.

I am using Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream and happy to recommend it, gives good enough lather.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    If you're only doing one pass, you won't know if it's good until you try going across or against the grain.

Again, this is assuming you're doing your one pass with the grain.

With the grain will get rid of most visible stuff.
    Across the grain will reduce it more, but you can still feel stubble.
    Against the grain will have it smooth as.

You may need to learn to map your face/neck to get the three passes done correctly.

I wouldn't listen to any of us on blade recommendations unless it's to get a sample pack.
    Example: Feathers don't work for me, but they do for my dad. The Gillette yellows I use don't work for him, etc.

Yes, i am doing the one pass with the grain, and maybe bit across the grain near the jaw. But never tried against the grain using DE razor. I have done against the grain using Gillette mach on special occasions only and it made my skin dry.

Thanks everyone for your views on the blade.

I am using Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream and happy to recommend it, gives good enough lather.
    You can have the sharpest blade in the world and it won't give you a proper close shave with just the one pass.

Try the three passes, with lathering in between and a decent aftershave balm. You'll get a vastly better shave than what you're currently seeing and might not have to buy anything after all.

Neck will likely be the trickiest bit. Mine goes all over the shop so I have to change direction 3 or 4 times to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Still working my way through a sample pack, but Feathers are pick of the bunch for me. I do one pass with the grain, and one against. Five minutes max, job done.

Alot of recommendations for Feather blades.
    Did you guys order them from amazon? Where could I get the best price deal?
    Still working my way through a sample pack, but Feathers are pick of the bunch for me. I do one pass with the grain, and one against. Five minutes max, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Alot of recommendations for Feather blades.
    Did you guys order them from amazon? Where could I get the best price deal?

Try a 10 pack here and see how you go.

I save mine for special occasions.

Be aware that when starting out I gave myself quite a cut with e feather razor.

Ordered 50x Feather blades and a tub of Taylor shaving cream.
    Thanks!
    Pkiernan wrote: »

Try a 10 pack here and see how you go.

I save mine for special occasions.

Be aware that when starting out I gave myself quite a cut with e feather razor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Just a word of warning on the Feather blades. They are VERY sharp. Avoid putting any pressure on your face when using them, otherwise you might cut your face to ribbons. Just the weight of the razor is enough. A fresh blade will go through even a week's growth like it's hot butter. Used properly, the blades are a joy.

Thanks for the tip. I will be extra cautious. I had minor bleeds with Astra platinum blades in the beginning when I first started using DE razor and I change blades after every 2 days.
    OSiriS wrote: »
    Just a word of warning on the Feather blades. They are VERY sharp. Avoid putting any pressure on your face when using them, otherwise you might cut your face to ribbons. Just the weight of the razor is enough. A fresh blade will go through even a week's growth like it's hot butter. Used properly, the blades are a joy.

Package arrived with feather blades and shaving cream.

Image attached:

16028390391106561530516364482680.jpg

Advertisement