Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated book

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Breakfast of Champions - about halfway through and seriously considering giving up and starting something else.

What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 protosByte

John Banville - way too wordy and his books are boring and depressing

Julian Barnes, I always finish every book I start, and `Lets talk about death` or whatever it was called, really screwed up my reading cadence. It took me 6 months to get up the stomach to finish it, and it's a tiny book.

Agree with OP on Beatlebone. I liked other KB books, but couldn't finish this one.

I also agree that there's a lot of complacent scratching of each others backs with Irish authors. Paul Murray, Colm Toibin and Colum McGann are excellent, but the rest feel lazy and self-indulgent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Banville is one of the finest writers alive today - his writing may not be to everyone's taste but he is certainly not overrated and is fully deserving of all of the acclaim he has received.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement