Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube Attain range - help me decide

Options
  • 07-02-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

Following a recent theft I'm back on the market for a new bike. I'm replacing a Lapierre Audacio 100 which treated me very well for the 3 years I had it, but wasn't the most comfortable.

Following a couple of recommendations I've kind of landed on a Cube Attain as being a suitable replacement, I'm just stuck as to whether it's worth the extra price going from Claris to Sora to Tiagra (The Lapierre used Claris and I never really had any problems of note).

I'm currently trying to choose between

Cube Attain - Claris groupset - Black/Yellow - €799
    Cube Attain Pro Disc - Sora groupset - Black /Orange - €899
    Cube Attain Race Disc - Tiagra groupset - Blue/Red - €999

I've had bikes with disc brakes before and would be keen to get this over rim brakes, this will be 90% a commuting bike and 10% for shortish leisure rides. I know the frames are the same so it comes down to the gearing and brake types and I want to find the best balance of value and performance.

To further compound things I love the Blue colour scheme of the race, I'm keen on the regular attain black/yellow and I would be happy with the Pro's black and orange but it's my least favourite of the three. I'd say they're all equal theft-magnets though.

Any input would be appreciated. This is not a B2W so will be out of my own pocket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

At the risk of complicating it more but because you won't get the BTW saving, how about going secondhand?
    Seems to be a good few Cube Attains on Adverts.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I'm 6'4", need an XXL frame and you don't see many of those second hand unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a 2018 Cube Attain Claris (rim brakes). I bought it dirt cheap last year from a 'failed cyclist' (He bought it on BTW in October 2018, cycled it once for 4km, hated it and parked it up) I bought it for the princely sum of €240 last March/April.

I am very impressed with it, its a really comfortable bike, the geometry is very relaxed and the frame is beautifully made. My other bikes have 5800 105 and 6800 Ultegra and in comparison, Claris R2000 is fantastic. Super slick gear changes and the front derailleur action and levers are very smooth and easy. My bike has an 11/36 cassette and so there are some huge jumps in the gears especially the lowest two where it jumps from 28 to 36 but as the 36 is a bail out gear then it doesn't get much use and so its only a small complaint. One nice thing about the bike is that the entire groupset is Claris which in an entry level bike is rare as the majority of other manufacturers usually fit a cheaper FSA or other chainset and no name or budget tektro brakeset in order to keep to a price point. The bike also has internal cable routing.

The bike comes with Cubes own hubs and Alex rims. I initially changed the wheels to a set of Shimano C24's but they made the ride horrible and harsh and so I took them off again and put the original wheels back on again and regained the comfort again. I have no intention of changing them again, theyre perfect for what I want the bike for.

Mine spends most of the year on the Turbo trainer but I do take it with me on trips to the MILs during the summer and clocked quite a few miles on it last summer. I am very impressed with it and if you only require it for commuting then Claris is more than enough for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I also bought a failed B2W Cube Attain - 10 speed Tiagra rim brake.

It is a great bike and agree on the geometry being very comfortable. My only gripe is it isn't the lightest, would swap out the wheels if I was using it regularly.

Both handy posts lads, thank you. Weight-wise all of the Attians come in 100-200g lighter than the Lapierre I'm replacing so I'm not concerned in that regard anyway. I'd be happy with the claris if I could get the base attain with a disc, so the pro is the best balance of everything - but it's the colour I'm least fond of. Decisions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Buildabike seem to have the Attains as well https://www.cyclebike.ie/search/cube+attain/ - the basic Attain being 50 cheaper actually than CSS. Could be wrong but seem to have some difffering components too and maybe more choice in colours.
    I got my Peleton Race there years back and it was better specced there than in other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I bought this Cube Attain a few months back and have done about 600-700km on it so far. It's a lot more relaxed geometry than I'm used to which isn't a bad thing commuting and the gears are fairly gappy but otherwise a solid bike.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057971165

I don't see any of the above links being in stock in an XXL frame so you may have to go further a field. Hard to beat Bike24 for prices in general but not sure what it would cost in shipping.

I bought this Cube Attain a few months back and have done about 600-700km on it so far. It's a lot more relaxed geometry than I'm used to which isn't a bad thing commuting and the gears are fairly gappy but otherwise a solid bike.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057971165

I don't see any of the above links being in stock in an XXL frame so you may have to go further a field. Hard to beat Bike24 for prices in general but not sure what it would cost in shipping.

The XXLs are all available within 3-5 days from CSS, for what it's worth. Great to hear you've been happy with it!

Thanks for all the input folks. Cheapest Attain ordered - decided discs/Sora weren't worth the extra €150 to me, full claris groupset/brakes will be enough of an upgrade for me, and I may as well get the colour scheme I prefer.

Thanks for all the input folks. Cheapest Attain ordered - decided discs/Sora weren't worth the extra €150 to me, full claris groupset/brakes will be enough of an upgrade for me, and I may as well get the colour scheme I prefer.

One thing I would do is upgrade the Sora brake blocks to 105 or Ultegra spec. You’ll need pads and holders. Maybe try and squeeze it into the deal and get the bike shop to fit them. They will make a big difference as the stock Sora pads are pretty useless.

• Advertisement

The model I went for has the Claris bundle you were recommending above! It's the 2020 model of the Attain you have I believe? I decided I didn't need disc brakes, and the Sora alone wasn't worth the €150 jump considering I wasn't keen on the colour of the next cheapest model with Sora and Discs

The model I went for has the Claris bundle you were recommending above! It's the 2020 model of the Attain you have I believe? I decided I didn't need disc brakes, and the Sora alone wasn't worth the €150 jump considering I wasn't keen on the colour of the next cheapest model with Sora and Discs

Yes I should have mentioned upgrading the brake blocks. It’s €20 to do so not a huge deal but try the Claris blocks yourself first and see what you think. You may find them perfectly adequate. I live in Donegal and am surrounded by hills/mountains so I need to have good brakes. If your commuting in the city/flat then you possibly have no need to change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Is there really that much difference between Sora and Claris brakes?

Effects wrote: »
    Is there really that much difference between Sora and Claris brakes?

I'd say absolutely none bar paint/graphics. The pads may differ but I doubt it.

Picked up the new steed on Thursday evening, couldn't ride until today due to the weather. Still need to get some proper pedals for it but very happy overall.

sLSJiSU.jpg

Interestingly either Cube or CSS installed a set of 105 R7000 brake blocks instead of the Claris set that was on the Spec sheet. Very happy with the substitution there as it saves me having to change them myself. Happy out, cheers for the help folks.

Advertisement