Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polished Aluminium Cube Attain GTC Disc

Options
  • 08-04-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

I bought this bike and stripped the paint and hand polished the aluminium to a mirror finish.

FRAME
    Aluminium 6061 T6 Superlight, Double Butted, Smooth Welded, 3D Flat-Mount Disc Brake Dropouts, Road Comfort Geometry, Fender Option, X12

SIZE 58cm ( cube sizing is peculiar, its more like a 56cm . )

FORK
    CUBE CSL Race Disc, One Piece 3D-Forged Steerer/Crown, Carbon Blades, 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" Tapered, Flat-Mount, 100mm X12
    HEADSET
    FSA Z-t, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (OD 44mm), Bottom Integrated 1 1/4"
    STEM
    CUBE Performance Pro, 31.8mm
    HANDLEBAR
    Saddle Cube
    CUBE Wing Race Bar Compact
    HANDLEBAR TAPE
    CUBE Grip Control
    REAR DERAILLEUR
    Shimano 105 RD-5800GS, 11-Speed
    FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano 105 FD-5800, 31.8mm Clamp
    SHIFT-BRAKE-LEVERS
    Shimano ST-RS505
    Chainset Shimano 5800 50/34

Fulcrum 77 road disc wheels

Hidden mounts for Cube Mudguards

Chain is new. aprx 4500 kms on bike. Tyres etc good , bike ready for road

Bray Area

Price 880 Euro or very close offer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Price drop
    Will take 780 euros

Price Drop.
    Will take 630.

Any interest in this frame, forks, seatpillar and stem for 280 euro?
    Or will do entire bike 480 euro.
    Note: CHAINSET is now Shimano R500 crankset with nearly new 52 x36 F. S. A rings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

480 is some deal for 11-speed, hydraulic brakes with full mudguard mounts. Could make a super winter bike for someone.

I'd snap it up if it fit me & I was local.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What width tyres would she take?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    What width tyres would she take?

Ive had 28c on with mudguards and there's still room. 32c easily without guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Some photos of the polished finish might be useful?

Some photos of the polished finish might be useful?

Photos attached original post, if want something closer or more specific I'll put something up tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Photos attached original post, if want something closer or more specific I'll put something up tomorrow

Photos were there previously alright, but not there now for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

fat bloke wrote: »
    Photos were there previously alright, but not there now for some reason.

Yeah, what he said.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up re pics, not sure what happened

Edit ( and now the origina pics are back !)

Price Drop.
    420E (over 1200 new)

Jeepers. I can't resist a bargain.

Can I offer asking subject to viewing? I'd have to check sizing, as well as the quality of your sanding and stripping..... :)

What prompted you to strip the paint at all in the first place if you don't mind my asking, I presume it has no effect on the integrity or weather proofing of the frame in any way?

fat bloke wrote: »
    Jeepers. I can't resist a bargain.

Can I offer asking subject to viewing? I'd have to check sizing, as well as the quality of your sanding and stripping..... :)

What prompted you to strip the paint at all in the first place if you don't mind my asking, I presume it has no effect on the integrity or weather proofing of the frame in any way?

Will pm you.
    (BTW, you have bought something on here from me before-was it the GPS?)

I stripped it because I hated the matt black /screaming green colour scheme. I had seen several polished Al finishes on the Web.

It does not affect structural integrity, in fact I've seen bare aluminium aircraft so it should be alright out the road :).

Sure come up, have a look and a spin and take it from there. I've spare plastic test ride pedals or you can bring yours and shoes if you want to do it right.
    Oh, and you are right. It's a real bargain but unfortunately I've now got one too many bikes and it bothers me to see a decent bike left lying there so it needs a new owner

Ah yes indeed, I have you now! Good man, I've sent you a pm there.

Apologies Cajonlardo, hate doing this as a buyer as much as I hate it being done to me as a seller, but have to reluctantly withdraw (without viewing). It's not a runner for the intended recipient of the bike.

It's a bloody great deal, I only wish I had a use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

What did you cover the frame with after stripping the paint? Anything?
    Bare aluminium will oxidise quickly and require some sort of coating or polishing to keep it looking good.
    I'd make an offer if you'd have left the paint on...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

The 58cm / 56cm sizing, what height person would it suit?

What did you cover the frame with after stripping the paint? Anything?
    Bare aluminium will oxidise quickly and require some sort of coating or polishing to keep it looking good.
    I'd make an offer if you'd have left the paint on...

It remains smart looking for roughly 8 weeks and then I just polish it with very light polish. Takes all of 5 minutes.

At that point it's as bright as stainless steel. It never looks bad at all no matter how long it's left - just looks great when it's freshly polished.

Alkers wrote: »

I have a 58 Cube and I'm 6' with a 33" inside leg - fits me well

• Advertisement

Alkers wrote: »

I run a 79.5 saddle height, I am 6'2"
    That has a LOT more pillar showing than those photos. I am guessing 5'11 roughly - 6'2.

I am away until Friday, if you want to let me know your saddle height I will check it on this bike then

It remains smart looking for roughly 8 weeks and then I just polish it with very light polish. Takes all of 5 minutes.

At that point it's as bright as stainless steel. It never looks bad at all no matter how long it's left - just looks great when it's freshly polished.

Thats the thing, I don't think it would last 8 weeks of my commute without a lot more cleaning than that, and this time of year its not much fun cleaning bikes...

Thats the thing, I don't think it would last 8 weeks of my commute without a lot more cleaning than that, and this time of year its not much fun cleaning bikes...

What you THINK is at odds with what I KNOW :)
    Its over a year since I did that job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

I run a 79.5 saddle height, I am 6'2"
    That has a LOT more pillar showing than those photos. I am guessing 5'11 roughly - 6'2.

I am away until Friday, if you want to let me know your saddle height I will check it on this bike then

Appreciate it, I'm 5'10" so it's probably too large for me I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Not in need of another bike but similar to Fat Bloke find it difficult to pass a bargain and as someone who's already worn through the sidewalls of two sets of Mavic Ksyrium rims disc brakes are appealing especially for the winter commuting.
    Size wise it should be good so would you take an even €400 to see it out the door? Offer asking if you've a set of Look pedals to go with it as would save having to swap them from my main bike.

Not in need of another bike but similar to Fat Bloke find it difficult to pass a bargain and as someone who's already worn through the sidewalls of two sets of Mavic Ksyrium rims disc brakes are appealing especially for the winter commuting.
    Size wise it should be good so would you take an even €400 to see it out the door? Offer asking if you've a set of Look pedals to go with it as would save having to swap them from my main bike.

I haven't any look pedals, my own are all spd
    So 400 accepted subject to your inspection
    I will pm you my details
    Thanks

Advertisement