Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been to an RTB adjudication? How did it go?

Options
  • 05-02-2020 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

I'm a tenant and my landlord threw a tantrum in our garden one day over a plank near the shed, scared our kid, attempted to evict us and then attempted to blackmail us by applying ''conditions'' we had to agree to in order to stay in the house.

The house is also so badly affected with mold that we literally have to mop down the walls with bleach every 10 days in the winter time and my kids have gotten sick and I've suffered bad mold sickness too. I'm taking this guy to an RTB adjudication but I'm not sure what to expect.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

Gneez wrote: »
    I'm a tenant and my landlord threw a tantrum in our garden one day over a plank near the shed, scared our kid, attempted to evict us and then attempted to blackmail us by applying ''conditions'' we had to agree to in order to stay in the house.

The house is also so badly affected with mold that we literally have to mop down the walls with bleach every 10 days in the winter time and my kids have gotten sick and I've suffered bad mold sickness too. I'm taking this guy to an RTB adjudication but I'm not sure what to expect.

Basically the adjudicator does not want to hear your life story or how horrible the landlord is.

You write down the parts of the rtb act breached before you go in. And for each breach you supply evidence

That's it.. Any other talking doesn't get taken into account

Finally they will ask you what is your loss or how did the landlords breaches effect you so have an answer to that question ready it could be costs it could be great distress

If you have a solid case you can appeal to tribunal if you are not happy with the awards if you win

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Did you formally complain about mould and give the landlord an opportunity to rectify it?

If the answer is no then it doesn't matter in the hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

Just curious how old is the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If mould is that bad you need to get local environmental health officer out.

I had similar but mushrooms were growing in the walls, windows broken and cracked, draughts everywhere, front door wouldn't even close or seal at all and day light coming through.

Heating on all the time and windows open for hours each day, clothes dried outside and not inside, lots of our documents, shoes, clothes destroyed due to the damp and mould.

We broke the lease as they didn't do anything to fix and got compensated a month's rent as a fine to the LL.

Having the heath officer report was great to have going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GBB

Contact Threshold, they will represent you in the adjudication if they have the resources on that day. They can also put in an RTB submission on your behalf outlining the landlords breaches of the RTA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Did you formally complain about mould and give the landlord an opportunity to rectify it?

Yes, twice in person (literally showing him the mold), 5 times in phonecalls and once in writing. He even had us told the vents were to be installed, but then withdrew that after throwing a tantrum.
    Just curious how old is the property?

Pretty old, 70s farmhouse
    If mould is that bad you need to get local environmental health officer out.

I had similar but mushrooms were growing in the walls, windows broken and cracked, draughts everywhere, front door wouldn't even close or seal at all and day light coming through.

Heating on all the time and windows open for hours each day, clothes dried outside and not inside, lots of our documents, shoes, clothes destroyed due to the damp and mould.

We broke the lease as they didn't do anything to fix and got compensated a month's rent as a fine to the LL.

Having the heath officer report was great to have going in.

I have multiple doctor's reports instead, how did you contact the health officer?
    GBB wrote: »
    Contact Threshold, they will represent you in the adjudication if they have the resources on that day. They can also put in an RTB submission on your behalf outlining the landlords breaches of the RTA

I will do that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

After re-reading this I'm trying to figure out what you mean. What do you mean it doesn't matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes, and I lost it.

I was advised to do it by Threshold. They gave me bad advise. I was in the wrong in the end.

As a tenant you have to have an extremely strong case to win. Minor gripes don't cut it. I think that holds for any case you bring even outside of the letting area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Environmental health in local council, they will then come out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

how did you contact the health officer?

Environmental Health Section of your Local Council.
    In Dublin you can email privaterented@dublincity.ie
    After re-reading this I'm trying to figure out what you mean. What do you mean it doesn't matter?

It means you cannot use the mould as an issue if you didn't tell the Landlord and give him/her a chance to fix it. If the LL is not aware of the problem, they cannot fix it.

You will need proof you mentioned this to him and verbal conversations will be hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Put it all in writing to the LL and keep copies. You'll have to submit this to the PRTB in due course.

Sounds like this property is unfixable without major work which is unlikely to happen. With that in mind. What's your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭slystallone

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Don't be put off by the landlords in here. I assisted in a case recently and wasn't happy with the adjudicators decision brought it to tribunal and won and received a four figure sum for the person. I'll write more later on when I get a chance. Landlords are harassing good decent people in this Country for pure greed nothing else. They'll be the first to cry foul and pull the little old me small time landlord card. The person I assisted is still in situ re the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm curious what you think is the purpose of being a landlord is if it's not to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thread is 2.5 years old, pretty sure they should be sorted by now!

Advertisement