Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Adam..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It looks okay. Not bad, not good, just okay. It's not one I'd be rushing out to see unless the week one reviews are extremely positive, but I don't really see that happening either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Says the user who started the thread? 😂 😎

It's Hollywood's biggest star, headlining in a film within Hollywood's biggest genre; that's pretty noteworthy, and if the first trailer ain't worth a chatter & speculation or two, what's the point of the forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm getting Mummy, Riddick, Scorpion King etc., vibes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oh that looks total pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Apparently Amanda Waller is in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think the biggest grab-my-attention I got was seeing Dr Fate and the powers being used there. Black Adam comes across highly powered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I certainly got Ridfick Vibes of it alright. In fact I thought it was a trailer for a new Riddick film when I was watching it before Thor:Love and Thunder.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,836 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So is this just like anti humour Thor from DC then??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still an absolutely godawful, ugly film by the looks of thing. The snark that it "looks like a video game" feels redundant given so many videogames can have a properly cinematic aesthetic now ... but Black Adam looks like what people think piece of **** video games look. And that colour grading, god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Maybe just me but I am not digging this. Maybe it's cause The Rock is seemingly in everything these days. Just looks ... meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Latest trailer does little to change my expectations.

Still looks so ugly. I mean, the story might be ok even if being the Rock we know Adam won't be totally evil. But the colour grading and cinematography just looks yuck.

I'm guessing to try and boost ticket sales The Rock pretty much admitted on his Instagram that...

Henry Cavill's Superman

Will be in the film.

• Advertisement

any reviews yet? or comments? i think there was a premier in New York last night...

ATM a bit difficult to say from the few tweets I've seen: just the usual, slightly hyperventilating kind of reviews from bloggers & shill-adjacent types, too excited to be at a premiere to give a considered review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Saw a few be a bit more critical alright - basically; fun action, fast paced, Rock is quite good, but plot is nonsense, far too much CGI, and underwhelming villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

WBs know they can't make a Superman movie without Henry Cavil. He's too good in the role and there is nobody else to replace him. Great to hear he's coming back. John Campea thinks MOS is one of the best ever SH films

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What was the point of the spoiler above, when some brute just spoils it further down like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Saw this morning.

It's grand, formulaic but fun, can see it doing really well box office wise it's a crowd pleaser.

Good.

The rock is really solid (pardon the pun)

It looks terrific overall "mostly" good CGI, lush.

Brosnan is terrific gets some good lines, just the right side of camp. The costume for his character is also excellent. Interesting powers as well.

The sidekick brother is genuinely funny in his scenes.

The teen kid isn't annoying.

The meh.

The big bad...is poor..CGI on that character is kinda shonky. Some other bits felt a tad weightless.

The atom smasher...feels like a poundshop mashup of Spiderman's personality with ant man's powers.

Hawkman...bland...the Isis character not much to do really.

Wind woman I literally have no idea what her name even was, the actress is fine.

Some of the acting is poor...the grunts who have a few lines are awful..

The slow motions...overused...

Music was kind of distracting.

Looks wise the director is clearly a fan of the 300...

Zero real threat main character is at risk.

Predictable storyline but hey it is what it is.

Nice to see Amanda Waller pop up, oh plus the lady from peacemaker (I think).

Post credit scene so more superman with Cavill in fairness he is a good fit.

The Fonz ha that was a nice surprise.

I would give it maybe 6/7 out of 10.

Perfectly fine, not as good as Shazam but better than a lot of the DC nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭techdiver

Just saw it and while it won't win any Oscars (weak script, poor dialog etc), it was a bloody good time. Brought my son too and he loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

This was a lot better than I expected. Better than 90% of superhero movies the last couple of years. Dj is good and the whole thing chugs along at a decent clip, was never bored. Pierce Brosnan is great, he adds a bit of genuine class to proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I thought it was pretty poor myself. Johnson is good for the most but when they try to get him to do quips and catchphrases, it’s incredibly cringe and I felt it didn’t sit with the character he was trying to be. The teenager is an incredibly annoying character and the attempt to recreate the T-800/John Connor relationship from T2 didn’t work for me. Pierce Brosnan is the best thing in this, he’s clearly having fun and knows exactly what kind of movie this is where everyone else thinks there in The Dark Knight. It has some interesting things to say about colonialism and American military interventions but they all fall by the wayside for a generic CGI fight the emotional beats of which do not land because I just didn’t care about the characters. I can usually forgive standalone super hero movies for not involving other heroes we know to exist in the universe but this movie is weird in that it doesn’t even try to hand wave it away despite Black Adam’s powers being the same as Shazam’s and yet the Justice Society are introduced out of nowhere as if they’ve always been around. Probably give it 5/10.

I just saw it, and I would agree with a few of your points... Shazam, nowhere to be seen and the Justice Society (not of america) is told by Waller to go put him in chains, as if they are always the go to group..

Too much slow motion stuff... but I really enjoyed the first hour... second hour was so-so... usual CGI fest...

Black Adams intro was very good, and he did some real doog work to the intergang goons...

but it's better thasn 5/10.... i would give it a 6.7/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d agree with probably all of that. I like the rock and thought they had a great chance of making something really interesting here.

I’d rate it 5 or maybe 6 out of 10 at a stretch. I had low expectations but I just felt it was an extremely poor paint by numbers movie with a few numbers ignored making it a sprawling mess.

The villian was crap and the instant aggression that the justice society (I don’t think they worked as a protagonist) showed to BA didn’t make sense. I know that Dc and Marvel have super hero’s that overlap but if you didn’t know any better you’d be thinking this had X men , antman, deadpool and the falcon in it all of which are better fleshed out in their alternative movies.

One thing I didn't get about the film is the power sets. Black Adam is meant to be a god like being, capable of taking on Superman but Hawkman was able to take him on, I have now idea what Hawkman's powers I thought he was a cross between Batman and the Falcon, also he was knocked back by Cyclone. I know these movies always play it a bit fast and loose with powers but this movie went out of its way to emphasise BA's powers. The first death where he basically Raidersed that guy with electricity. It stuck out to me probably because I just wasn't engaged enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hmmm ... Disappointing overall.

IMO its a bad sign when Pierce Brosnan is probably the best thing in the movie....

Just a bit boring movie overall... Seen it all before, nothing new.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I saw it today at last. It was OK put a bit long. The intro atthe beginning was not great I thought. They could have easily gotten two movies out of this film. They put Black Adam in Stasis and I thought that's it now untill the next film but no they had to bring him out again.

There was some good laughs in it and the plane/sub was cool.

A pity the cinema audience was so dull.

Overall not a bad film. I woukd watch it again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Niska

Caught it last week -it's a fine, pew pew, biff, etc. comic book movie. Johnson is fine as the main lead, Brosnan as Dr Fate is the best part of it. The child and comic uncle both not too annoying. But overall, the characters (as characters as opposed to adjective noun stand-ins - i.e. comic uncle, young kid, female lead / archaeologist / historian ) are forgettable and I can't recall the names of any but the heroes -and then just their 'hero names'. (One exception being Amanda Waller, but this ain't her first appearance)

There was one point

when the JSA annouce they're here to save them, and the female lead asks where they have been for the last seventeen years. This could have been a good tangent to examine extra territorial authority, America's place as 'world police', the end justifying the means - but nope, just skin deep observations rather than anything more substantial.

Combine that with Atom Smasher clumsily destroying historical landmarks / archaeological sites while trying to help (and Waller's post credit appearance) it is like they saw Team America - World Police Paris and Egypt scenes - and tried to recreate it straight without relaising it was a satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Overall it was fine but could have been a lot better.

Once again it comes across that DC try to take on the MCU formula of crossovers without doing any of the work. Introducing that many heroes as side characters in an origin movie of another is incredibly difficult to do and how poorly they landed this really impacted my enjoyment of the movie (similar to the Eternals). I never felt like I cared about the characters at all because we didn't spend any time to get to know them, even the basics of what their powers are - which might be purposeful given how they didn't really make sense when you compare to Black Adam.

If the story had to have other heroes go after Black Adam, they would have been much better to focus just on Dr Fate and Hawkman and you could get a better sense of their history/bond. Also, I know some of these characters predate the Marvel iterations but surely DC could have avoided picking 3 heroes in such an important movie that seem like knock offs of well established MCU characters.

Brosnan was the best thing about this.

The Rock was so bland and none of his natural charisma or charm came through in this espically since it really should have playing an anti hero version of Black Adam.

The colour palette they used and CGI was actually terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It was enjoyable and fun to see some of the other DC heroes get on screen and for all the action to be in daylight. And there was a lot of action.

Despite there was something missing from it or off about it - I don’t know what but I just couldn’t get into it like other superhero films. And the opening narration - which I assume was the kid Amor - was woefully dull and lifeless.

And it didn’t explain why Hawkman was so determined to stop Black Adam from killing but was comfortable working with Waller whose superteam are killers.

Nor why the Justice Society, Justice League, Superman, etc allowed Intergang to rule that country.

is Shazam THAT powerful in his movie?

In they both as powerful as Superman?

Also, is the origin story reveal that Black Adam was not chosen by the Wizard Council from the comics? Or just from this film?

I actually did think that the father was Dwayne Johnson because of how the avoided showing his face and that he would Chosen because he chose peace over revolution but how they edited the origin scenes made me believe I was wrong and forget it.

Ignore this :)

Post edited by Spon Farmer on

FFS use spoilers tags.

the movie has been out a month now.... spoiler tags aren't needed...

It's also in the trailers, I was shocked that in the movie it's played as some sort of reveal/twist.

• Advertisement

I assumed anyone interested in it would have seen it by now m.

I meant to say earlier that there was way too much slow motion in the film.

it was nice to see some superhero action in slo-mo but wasn’t necessary for Sarah Shahi, the civilians, etc.

Fun to see the rookie hero mess up a couple of times.

And something else that needed an explanation was how Atom Smasher inherited superpowers from his uncle. That one is odd. :)

Who might Waller be referring when she talks about super beings not from Earth that owe her favours? I assumed NOT Superman

Post edited by Spon Farmer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Usually in these films there's a big fight in the end, it just didn't happen on this.

All over in a matter of him Johnson saying Shazam and bad guy torn to pieces. 2/3 minutes maybe.

For a finale like this with the whole plot around how strong Black Adam is and the bad guy being chosen buy the underworld "wizards" youd think they'd have a good old fight for the hype of the movie ending. Was very flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Pretty weak film overall. The Rock is alright, Pierce Brosnan by far puts in the best performance. Most characters are completely forgettable and generic, just making their way through a painfully dull and cliche-ridden plot.

It's watchable but it's not good. I'd say 5/10. Something you can throw on and be entertained by but forget about the following day.

Still struggling to understand how DC keep getting most of their movies so wrong with so much money pumped into them. It's mind boggling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Weird film.

Started ok. Then we get a load of X men with, including the plane, but they’re not X men either. They’re not the justice league either in case you thought that.

Maybe I missed some films, but these were all entirely new characters, right? It was all so forced and clunky.

My kids loved it. I didn’t hate it. I just didn’t like it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'd agree with that... its watchable but not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

What a bag of Sh1t

We have seen this many many times before.

Scene: Trying to introduce a bit per seriousness only to be side tracked by a silly comment, somebody comedically falls over just to break the tensions.

Deadpool lives of this kind of storytelling, and does it well, but why is every other franchise following suit.

I have about 30mins left to watch and don't think I will even bother. These comic movies are just rinse and repeat - no new thinking of approach being taken.

Im done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

They don't earn their team-up movies.

Whether you like it or not about Marvel movies, they put in the work:

• Iron-man (2008) - First Nick Fury cameo
    • The Incredible Hulk (albeit with Norton instead of Rufallo) 2008 - With Iron-man cameo
    • Iron-man 2 (2010) - With Black Widow
    • Thor (2011) - First Hawkeye cameo
    • Captain America (2011) - Loki cameo
    • THEN you had Avengers in 2012

You had five movies over 4 years with numerous cross-references, major and minor before you had your team-up movie. The team-up was only briefly mentioned once in one scene in the very first movie. But you knew what was happening. You saw Iron-man recruiting/investigating.

You knew who the good guys and bad guys were. You had seen them multiple times already. However, with the DCU, they always seem to try to skip on the due diligence. Look at the terrible Justice League (And the slightly less terrible re-cut).

• Sure, Superman (Eventually).
    • Batman ("Oh yeahhhhh. I forgot Ben Afflek was Batman. He wasn't bad".... in that SUPERMAN movie. Oh and that other thing that nobody saw... for 10 seconds).
    • Wonder-woman ("Oh hey, she actually had her own movie which was pretty good")
    • Flash ("Wasn't there something about... in the Superman/Batman thing? Can't remember")
    • Aquaman ("Hey, yer man from Game of Thrones. He's fun")
    • Baddie ("M'Kay... Who's this now?/ Where's the other guy from the other version?")

Basically they want to skip to the dessert.

WB/DC actually did a MUCH better job on TV. They had regular crossovers with eachother's shows. Then they had that Crisis on Infinite Earths thing which was absolutely CHOCK-FULL of nods and winks. But they came across as fun (My particular favourite being the amazing scene of the best Batman - Kevin Conroy, playing Kingdom Come Batman)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I really enjoyed it to be honest, fantastic action from beginning to end. The Rock with super powers, whats not to like!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Gave this a watch. Pleasantly surprised by.. well.. all the surprises. Learning all the back story and seeing the powers of the crew involved.

The mid-credits scene felt like it was done really well.

If I had one criticism, it would be towards the end, it felt like it dragged a bit and like they had run outta budget a bit. Maybe they coulda cut it shorter and probably it would've been fine.

I'd guess there's the smallest chance

to see Black Adam again given how much Waller was in the film and that Jennifer Holland turned up. Peacekeeper team turning up in this and Shazam! Fury of the Gods just kinda leaned me to thinking in that direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't even think the chance would be small, I'd say it's miniscule. Black Adam as a film didn't do well at the box office, The Rock was trying to centre himself within DCU creative as well as centre Black Adam within the films as a central character by putting him up against Superman. But after Black Adam came out, the hierarchy of power in the DCU actually did change and James Gunn & Peter Safran are in control and with an entirely new plan for the films going forward. The Rock isn't going to just be a minor part in the DCU. If he can't be a big part of the plans, he won't be in the films.

The Amanda Waller/Peacemaker crew stuff may translate over from the previous stuff to the new stuff, but for the most part the DCU going forward is a reboot. Even if Black Adam does show up again in the future, it's more likely that it won't be The Rock playing him.

I guess it'll probably depend on how Gunn gets on in charge of it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement