Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson cordless

Options
  • 04-02-2020 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate place I need to purchase a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner.
    First are they worth the money?
    Secondly. Which model is best value.
    Obviously the V11 comes well recommended. I find it extravagant to spend that money on a vacuum cleaner.
    Perhaps the V8 or other model.
    Finally Am I crazy? Are other equally good, and better value?
    All advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭mp3guy

You'll get 45 minutes on a full charge (which takes a couple of hours) on the lowest suction setting. You'll only get about 15 minutes on max power.

If you can work around that, amazing. Had ours a year and it's just so damn convenient. Don't forget to clean the filter every now and again!

We have the V10.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

iognaid wrote: »
    I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate place I need to purchase a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner.
    Obviously the V11 comes well recommended. I find it extravagant to spend that money on a vacuum cleaner.
    All advice welcome

Have both dyson and shark cordless and would never ever go back to dyson especially if you have carpet. Shark is much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm on my third v11. They have all failed within 3-4 months . Our previous V8 lasted 3 years without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm on my third v11. They have all failed within 3-4 months . Our previous V8 lasted 3 years without any issues.

are they manufacturer replacements or do you keep buying them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

daheff wrote: »
    are they manufacturer replacements or do you keep buying them?

All replacements from Dyson. At €650 a pop you wouldn't be buying many.

I had one for a couple of years (until it just died a couple of months outside of the warranty) and I wouldn’t recommend them. In general after I bought it I was very underwhelmed, unless you have serious vaccuming needs that can’t be met by a regular or cheaper vac imo they’re a waste of money. I had pets at the time and wouldn’t say it was any better than any other vacuum I’ve had at defuzzing the sofas, carpets or wooden floors etc. Customer service when it broke wasn’t great - you’re paying for the name and the gimmicky-ness of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

All advice welcome

Not good if you have a lot of carpet. Fine for tiles/wood flooring. Battery not sufficient for carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gip

All advice welcome
    I bought a Dyson V6 over two years ago as it was well discounted due to newer model on the market. One of the best purchases I've ever made, just clean the filter and motorised brush regularly, it's very easy to disassemble and put back together. I don't have any pets and mostly wooden and tiled floors but have two sons who drag all sorts into house. It's used every day and has never let me down. You get used to length of time available on full battery charge. Will buy another again. Money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

D3V!L wrote: »

3 years is awful... their products really do have a short life

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    You'll get 45 minutes on a full charge (which takes a couple of hours) on the lowest suction setting. You'll only get about 15 minutes on max power.

If you can work around that, amazing. Had ours a year and it's just so damn convenient. Don't forget to clean the filter every now and again!

We have the V10.
    How do you clean the filter in the V10?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

gip wrote: »
    I bought a Dyson V6 over two years ago as it was well discounted due to newer model on the market. One of the best purchases I've ever made, just clean the filter and motorised brush regularly, it's very easy to disassemble and put back together. I don't have any pets and mostly wooden and tiled floors but have two sons who drag all sorts into house. It's used every day and has never let me down. You get used to length of time available on full battery charge. Will buy another again. Money well spent.

I bought 3 v6's at the same time..two for myself, and one for my mother. I never used the upstairs one in my house as we had new thick carpet and it wouldn't move on it so gave that to my grandmother but my downstairs one and my mothers one both died within a few days of esch other whereby the battery will only last 10-15 seconds now. Only had them less than 2 years. They wouldn't replace the battery, wanted €70 odd euro for one

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Ive a v10. I can honestly say it's the biggest waste of hard earned money I've ever spent. For 500e for a hoover you expect a premium product. That's not what you get. Filter light wont stop coming on. I wash it each time thoroughly and blow it out with a compressor also. Next time I use the hoover it comes on again. The blocked symbol often comes on and the hoover is not blocked. The latest drama with it is the bin now simple comes away from from the unit when I go to empty. Dyson are sending out a "engineer" to check the unit in a couple of weeks, as its still under its two year warranty. I wouldnt recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭footloose32

How do you clean the filter in the V10?

Unscrew the purple filter at the top of the machine (it's just 2 or 3 rotations), wash out with water and let dry for 24 hours. It must be completely dry before putting back on the unit, or you risk water damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just to add to the bargainness - dyson have an official outlet on ebay. They're returned ones, supposedly refurbed but apparently most are untouched. We got ours that way (v8) and it was a decent bit cheaper and still came with a one year warranty. We're delighted with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

There's a Xiaomi version on AliExpress posted by a seller with a warehouse in Europe.
    It's €189.88 with free shipping from Spain.

https://bit.ly/36Tvz52

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kmum

I bought a V8 a couple of weeks ago. I was watching them for a while and couldn’t decide between models, got talking to a guy on their stand in Dundrum and he reckoned V10 & V11 as complete hoover replacements. V8 or lower for run arounds inbetween. There was €100 off the V8 and came with loads of different attachments. Powercity have it at the same price. I’m really happy with it. I think it’s 40/45mins run time, realistically I’ll never need it that long continuously. I can do all of downstairs and up the stairs in one go and it’s yet to run out of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Extremely poor brand, and a triumph of marketing over substance.

Get a corded hoover with bags. Nilfisk, Miele, and Numatic are all good brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I had problems with a battery failing recently. Dyson replaced it really quickly.
    The person on the customer helpline recommended not plugging it in to charge straight after using it as it can be bad to charge it when the battery is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Just to add to the bargainness - dyson have an official outlet on ebay. They're returned ones, supposedly refurbed but apparently most are untouched. We got ours that way (v8) and it was a decent bit cheaper and still came with a one year warranty. We're delighted with it

Would you have a link to the Ebay shop. We have a V6 and the carpet head has stopped working. Its out of warranty so wont be able to get replaced from Dyson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭MenloPete

We were considering a cordless - went around the shops comparing...
    In the end we bought a Quest corded cyclonic vacuum for €39.99. :D
    Best damn bargain ever and superb suction!

deco72 wrote: »
    Would you have a link to the Ebay shop. We have a V6 and the carpet head has stopped working. Its out of warranty so wont be able to get replaced from Dyson.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/dyson_outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

Have a V6 for a number years and it is extremely handy as a "run around" job. Battery died recently and we considered an upgrade but "chanced" a 3rd party battery on Amazon. That and a clean/lube of the gearing mechanism in the brush head and it is like new again. Time will tell how long this 3rd party battery will last but if we get this year out of it we'll be happy enough for an outlay of 28ukp + Addresspal delivery charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Maggie Benson

Unscrew the purple filter at the top of the machine (it's just 2 or 3 rotations), wash out with water and let dry for 24 hours. It must be completely dry before putting back on the unit, or you risk water damage.

Or just brush off the filter, no need to wet it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Make sure if you have wooden/laminate floors you get the one with a correct head for that. Its fine for a second hoover but it wouldn't replace a full sized hoover for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rat catcher

Have a v7 motorhead 2 years now and no problems, only the bristles on the power head brush bar have worn out and needs replacing. I have a mixture of carpet and hard floors, definitely better on hard floors! Spare parts seem hard to get and expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭breeno

I've been looking at a v8 recently. Are there better options from other brands in the price range or (hopefully) similar levels of power/suction and runtime from other brands in a lower price bracket?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

breeno wrote: »
    I've been looking at a v8 recently. Are there better options from other brands in the price range or (hopefully) similar levels of power/suction and runtime from other brands in a lower price bracket?

Make sure you get the right version of the v8 for your floors.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

MenloPete wrote: »
    We were considering a cordless - went around the shops comparing...
    In the end we bought a Quest corded cyclonic vacuum for €39.99. :D
    Best damn bargain ever and superb suction!

Which model did you get ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement