Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Funnily enough my generation in October 2021 was only 0.2kWh different. But given that I've gone from 6.2kWp to 7.44kWp, October has been a turd.

Fell 47.5kWh short of prediction, so only 84% of what I had hoped. August hit 115% and September 114% though so it's all good.

Estimate for November is 130kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭championc

ctober Stats

3.9kWp (S), 20kWh battery, 22 deg Slope, Sth Dublin

Generation – 221.17 kWh
    Consumed  - 217.67 kWh
    Import   – 59.37 kWh
    Export   – 17.21 kWh
    Eddi    - 3.1 kWh
    Zappi   - 13.7 kWh

Meter Readings 05406 (01128 Day - up 8 / 04278 Night - up 57) - Gas 6332 (up 39)

Totals so far:

Month    |   2020 |   2021 |   2022 |
    ---------+--------+--------+--------+
    January  |     75 |     56 |     81 |
    February |    122 |    142 |    111 |
    March    |    200 |    269 |    370 |
    April    |    279 |    373 |    372 |
    May      |    396 |    430 |    445 |
    June     |    264 |    425 |    425 |
    July     |    261 |    387 |    407 |
    August   |    254 |    264 |    435 |
    September|    268 |    248 |    242 |
    October  |    151 |    185 |    221 |
    November |     90 |     78 |        |
    December |     56 |     52 |        |
    ---------+--------+--------+--------+
    Total    |   2.41 |   2.90 |   3.10 |

Boards.ie - Solar Capacity and production analysis

https://www.pvstats.eu/home.pl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭DC999

October 2022

4.9kW Dublin 12. Split is: E 55%, S 25%, NW 20%

Production: 240 kWh

Best day: 14 kWh (had a few of those)

Worst day: 0.3 kWh

Consumption: 465 kWh (including EV + heating for now while boiler is off)

Self-use (no battery so always a challenge): 47%. Trying to run some low-watt electric heaters to keep boiler off 

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭rgfuller

12th Month

Dublin - Lucan - October 22 - 7.12kW total installed (S: 3.45kW, E: 2.41kW, W: 1.38kW). E&W Optimised. 5KWh Battery, (30 S & 22.5 E/W degree pitch).

Total Generation: 355kWh (117kWh consumed directly, 141kWh into battery, 97KWh to grid)

Best Day: October 1st - 20.3kWh

Worst Day: October 19th - 0.6kWh

Total Consumption: 407kWh (67% Solar: 33% Grid Import (135kWh))

Milestones & Info:

50kWh to Eddi

1 Full Year of install/production - See the yearly performance thread

Monthly Expected FIT €11.64 + Money Saved on Energy from PV :: €73.44 :: Total Savings €85.08 for Oct. (FIT @ 0.14c/KWh)

Expected FIT since Feb 15th €340.78 :: (24 Feb, 254 Mar, 272 Apr, 413 May, 382 Jun, 435 Jul, 440 Aug, 151 Sept, 97KWh Oct : Total 2448KWh)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

309kWh generated for October with 22.8KW to the Eddi. 7.2KW South facing in Dublin. Best days were the 1st and the 10th generated 17KW on both days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

West Dublin 7kwp S facing 20kwh battery

Best day - 1st with 25kwh

Worst day - 19th with 4kwh

Days without import - 10

Marginally better than last year's

@Ha Long Bay your values seem a bit low and we seem to have similar system, you got any major shading?

No shading at all when I check back both strings are performing at a similar level. I am the other side of the city. Looking back that day on the 19th I generated 1kwh where you produced 4kwh.

21 panels so there will always be a slight deviation between strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Hi fellow Solar folk.

Figures for the month of October with a 4Kw system on an even East:West split based in South Dublin. No battery:

Total generated: 190.05 kWh

Highest day:  1st October, 10.56kWh

Lowest day: 19th October 0.47 kWh (note: that was the day it absolutely lashed all day and we’d thunder and lightning, though I consoled myself that the panels got a good wash 😀)

Pleased to report we received the full SEAI grant last month of €2,400 too. 

g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Myself and Jonathan have similar systems, both in Dublin about 10-15 miles apart......but on dark grey days he'd always struggle to match my output (sub 1-2Kwhr), but on sunny days in winter, his south facing as opposed to my E/W would demolish my output.

I don't think we ever definitively sorted it out the reason (which galls me), but the best theory was that some panels are simply better at converting ambient light into power and/or my inverter was better at dealing with dealing with ambient light than his.

It was consistent too - but more of a point of interest rather than either of us having a "fault" as such.

Just curious now @SD_DRACULA my best month was May. How do your figures compare.

JA panels and 6K Solis inverter here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

For me the top was August with 908kwh

About the same in May it seems:

Probably just random clouds

It's all down-hill from here 12 panels shaded until mid-Feb 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Generated 413 kWh for October for my 6.1 kWh system. Cork, South Facing.

Only used 44% of it and put that down to working in the office for all of the month until I get my working from home sorted. As a result I was not able to charge the EV on the few good days we had. Last October I generated 435 kWh so not that far off

I must chase up those Feckers in ESBN to get my Smart meter installed so I can get the full benefit for the Feed in Tarriff and use the extra low nigh rate

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Midlands

Array 1: 4.1kWp SSW with Winter Shading, 3.3kWp NNE

Array 2: 2.73kWp SE, 0.91kWp S, 3.64kWp SW (all neighbourhood shading/optimised)

522kW imported

480kWh Generated

410.2kWh consumed

214kWh diverted to Eddi

125.9kWh diverted to Zappi

Approx 810.8kms of range into the EVs

Highest was 37.8kWh

Lowest was 3.3kWh

74% self sufficient (excluding EVs)

44% self sufficient (including EVs)

Monthly cash saving based on average daily load and all non-load items like dishwasher/washing machine/immersion at night rate, €56.45

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Are either of you charging your battery from the grid at night. Because the generation is way over estimated for the following day unless the solar generation exceeds what you charged the battery by. For example if you charged the battery last night look at your generation today in the solis app and see if it checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭championc

I have my system on Standby from 23:00 - 23:59 and then charge my batteries from 00:00 - 07:59.

It makes the figures cleaner and easier to see when all charging and discharging in the same 24hr cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I've a Givenergy system and Jonathan a Solis one as I recall - and that was a part of the logic I mentioned previously. One inverter may have different algorithm to squeeze out a few extra watts out the panels over another. The other thing is that some panels just are better at diffuse light than others.

No, this wasn't a reporting thing I think - but I do raise it to keep in mind when comparing similar system. You can't just look at the dark days and if you have a difference, you have a problem. You should also look at the bright clear days in the same month and compare those. If you have a difference there also and you have the same aspect/orientation, then you could have a problem alright.

The reason i mentioned it was that solis reports the battery charge as generation, when its not really generation

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Oct on 7.8KW in louth generated 479kwh, no stats etc as without datalogger until new one comes into stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Solis cloud app is wrong but you can use the Solis Home app and get the correct numbers.

..... tldr

Actually they are both correct... the issue is the daily reporting for gen includes import at night rate as day gen. But the monthly number only includes sunshine captured. I just checked October, and they both match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

October 22

543 kWh generated

From November on can see me charging battery 50-80% on night rate as month progresses but was surprised at October results as expected to be importing more on night rate that month but managed to get through without having to charge battery. Shame with balancing still pull handful of units as pinergy day rate is ridiculously high.

124kw exported @ 21c (€26.04)

10kw imported @ 43c (€4.30)

2kw imported @ 6c (12c)

Profit on units €21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's very interesting. I find the same with my south facing panels. On great days it's great, but on less than mediocre days it seems to produce less than E/W. I've a plan for 4kWp west facing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

E/W is 80% of S but if better sunlight gain in the mornings and evenings then E/W trumps.

Always said if I was out the country I'd have two arrays, one S and the other E/W (and tilting)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm out the country and my plan is for all 3. 8kWp currently south, then next is a 4kWp west and 4kWp northeast (don't have an east facing roof)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

4.83kWp south facing, Dublin Fingal

322kWh generated

11.5kWh exported (96% solar self-consumption)

240kWh imported (4kWh day, 236kWh night)

22.1kWh generated best day (17th Oct)

0(!!)kWh generated worst day (19th Oct).

Im looking at this months report. It says ive generated 57kwh so far in november. If I look at yield on the inverter page though the yield for the month is 31kwh. The monthly report is wrong. Either way its a bug in the software and solis should address this. If that happened in my company it would be a priority to correct the buggy software and it would be done in a day or two at most.

I agree... all im saying is... you wait untill next month and it will be resolved. My monthly data is wrong for Nov... but its correct for previous months (like October). They do resolve the calculation later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My figures still don't match.

Solis Home says 254 for October, Solis Cloud says 387.

Shrugs. I dunno. Any chance something is different in your home app? Mine looks like this... for comparison.

Not defending it, the cloud app looks a mess when winter arrives amd night changing takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭John mac

October stats , 7.4KW east west even split , Mayo.

Total :- 248.6 KWh

Best day 14th . 17KWh

Worst day 29th . 2.1KWh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

4.8kW EW Dublin. 10kWh DIY battery

November 2022 (kWh):

Production: 100.8 (100 predicted, 101.4 last year)

Consumption: 831

Import: 736 (70d, 666n)

Export: 5.8

Best day: 4th: 6.1

Worst day: 26th: 1.2

Advertisement