Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Irish women don’t like foreign women”

Options
  • 30-01-2020 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Is this a thing because I’ve heard it from several non Irish women since I’ve been back in Ireland. All the non Irish women in the office have said it and I’ve heard it from friends who date non Irish girls. Before someone jumps in and says “not all Irish women don’t like foreign women and not in all cases” yes I know I get it but still has anyone heard this before, is this an actual thing?

I put it down to foreign women are more likely to be just passing through and maybe people are reluctant to invest time in a friendship when that person is going to leave but then I was talking to a girl I know who is a teacher and she passed a remark about a friend of ours marrying a foreign woman which I was surprised that she would make that comment but I do sense there is a certain resentment by Irish women that maybe the Irish lads heads are being turned and where they had the rule of the roost for so long, now we have women coming from different countries and there nose is out of joint almost a sense of snobbery or looking down at foreign women.

So is this a thing has anyone heard this before that Irish women don’t like foreign women because I don’t think it’s an issue when it comes to Irish men and foreign lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Simple answer is I've never heard of this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Never heard of this. The Irish women I know all speak very highly and fondly of the foreign women they work with for example.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not true in my experience but someone will be along in a minute to say its because Irish women are fat and ugly, foreign women are beautiful and stealing all the men or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Have a look at the dating thread above. Some bloke was told by an Irish woman on a date that because he was with foreign women he'd have to have an STD check before they slept together as foreign women all have diseases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

LOL, silly jellus wimmins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

:confused: well they’re generally welcoming on the face of it...

eviltwin wrote: »
    Not true in my experience but someone will be along in a minute to say its because Irish women are fat and ugly, foreign women are beautiful and stealing all the men or something like that.

That was all pretty much covered in the OP, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Some irish women love foreign women I'm sure.

Have a look at the dating thread above. Some bloke was told by an Irish woman on a date that because he was with foreign women he'd have to have an STD check before they slept together as foreign women all have diseases.

Then that person is a bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

the only place i've heard this is boards.ie threads through the years. i'd say it started around 2006

• Advertisement

the only place i've heard this is boards.ie threads through the years. i'd say it started around 2006

I once witnessed the live action version of the boards guy who puts down Irish women. I think I’ve related this before. It was at a bar in Lisbon. He was loudly telling the barman and a few others surrounding him how ugly Irish women were and was ranking the women of various countries. I couldn’t believe I was witnessing it in the flesh. And, of course, he was no beaut himself. Not being a beaut - totally fine, but a bit of self-awareness, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Haven't heard that they do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Is this a thing because I’ve heard it from several non Irish women since I’ve been back in Ireland. All the non Irish women in the office have said it and I’ve heard it from friends who date non Irish girls. Before someone jumps in and says “not all Irish women don’t like foreign women and not in all cases” yes I know I get it but still has anyone heard this before, is this an actual thing?

I put it down to foreign women are more likely to be just passing through and maybe people are reluctant to invest time in a friendship when that person is going to leave but then I was talking to a girl I know who is a teacher and she passed a remark about a friend of ours marrying a foreign woman which I was surprised that she would make that comment but I do sense there is a certain resentment by Irish women that maybe the Irish lads heads are being turned and where they had the rule of the roost for so long, now we have women coming from different countries and there nose is out of joint almost a sense of snobbery or looking down at foreign women.

So is this a thing has anyone heard this before that Irish women don’t like foreign women because I don’t think it’s an issue when it comes to Irish men and foreign lads.

Holy run on sentence! :P

To answer your question, yes I have heard Irish women speak none too fondly of foreign women .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I once witnessed the live action version of the boards guy who puts down Irish women. I think I’ve related this before. It was at a bar in Lisbon. He was loudly telling the barman and a few others surrounding him how ugly Irish women were and was ranking the women of various countries. I couldn’t believe I was witnessing it in the flesh. And, of course, he was no beaut himself. Not being a beaut - totally fine, but a bit of self-awareness, perhaps?

Witnessed in person myself before. A lad broke up with an ex and went travelling. Came back and claimed a 10 in Ireland is a 4 in most other countries. He is now married to an Irish girl he met while abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Wasn't this a thread last year? Getting serious deja-vu.

Holy run on sentence! :P

To answer your question, yes I have heard Irish women speak none too fondly of foreign women .

On boards and in real life, I’ve heard Irish men talk about how sleazy continental men are and denigrating the appearance of Polish guys. Some people are just cunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Someone rang me up earlier today and told me my computer machine was infected with the coronavirus so I had to give them all me details quick. Should have listened to the gadge because they did say it, so then....... it must definitely be true.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Witnessed in person myself before. A lad broke up with an ex and went travelling. Came back and claimed a 10 in Ireland is a 4 in most other countries. He is now married to an Irish girl he met while abroad.

I think the Lisbon guy was using the 10 scale too. :D Fucking sad sacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

So it must be a thing then or maybe we should just make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

I haven't experienced Irish women not liking foreign women...but I have experienced Irish mammies specifically not liking their sons foreign girlfriends.

I think that's just down to different cultures and Irish mammies not feeling they are being respected in the same way they would be by an Irish girl though.

In my experience generally though, Irish women get along just as well with foreign women, as Irish men do with foreign men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

On boards and in real life, I’ve heard Irish men talk about how sleazy continental men are and denigrating the appearance of Polish guys. Some people are just cunts.

It's insecurity from some on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

As a foreigner I don't think I've ever felt discriminated against or disliked by males or females in Ireland (or any other country I've lived in) based on my nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Who said there aren't individual incidents though?

The (never provocative) OP is talking about a broad social trend. You know, the whole totally innocent "Is it just me or..." thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wompa1 wrote: »

Was he talking about the wrister scale?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Generally no, though I have had a couple of incidences of less than polite behaviour from Irish women with non Irish exes of mine. Though along the lines of what De Danann said, it was nearly all older Irish women who came out with the "couldn't you find a nice Irish girl" stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Can confirm. It's not just foreign women we dont like, it's foreign men too because they arent good enough for us. Oh and irish men, we hate them too due to us all being stuck up bitches who are also ugly and fat. Fact. It's a wonder any of us manage to get into relationships at all really, we're that bad.

Seriously though, I had noticed a slight reduction in the women bashing threads. Good to see they're back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭skallywag

You need to hang out here more.

The topics tend to get recycled at least 3-4 times a year.

The attention span aint what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Better luck next time, OP.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Generally no, though I have had a couple of incidences of less than polite behaviour from Irish women with non Irish exes of mine. Though along the lines of what De Danann said, it was nearly all older Irish women who came out with the "couldn't you find a nice Irish girl" stuff.

But sure, those women are just arseholes. Like the Irish men I’ve heard derogatorily talking about foreign men. It’s not a trend. It’s just people being arseholes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I don't like them because they are keeping all those tall handsome mysterious sexy-voiced foreign men to themselves. Absolute wagons!!

Advertisement