Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calves dying

Options
  • 29-01-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine has calves dying in his dairy herd. About a week after been born. Appear to be born healthy. All dead so far this year. Any suggestions as to the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭1373

Mach Two wrote: »
    Friend of mine has calves dying in his dairy herd. About a week after been born. Appear to be born healthy. All dead so far this year. Any suggestions as to the problem.

Are they getting sick/ scoured or just dropping dead

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jeffrey

Get his vet to investigate & send dead calf to his local veterinary Laboratory who will perform full post mortem examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Could be a genetic defect with the bull. That's if he is using a bull and not doing AI, for those calves.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,241 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Could be a genetic defect with the bull. That's if he is using a bull and not doing AI, for those calves.

Was just going to suggest that. Happened here a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

This man used to have a suckler here and then changed to dairy farming. He had the same problem with the suckler calves. I don't know if they are dropping dead or fading away. No scour as far as I know. Has been to vets ,labs and everything else. Can't get to the bottom of it. He thought it might have been a viral infection. Can't think of the name of it. I never had it. Thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There is a serious problem if the problem has followed over with his conversion from sucklers to dairy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Are they bull calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Stupid leading question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Grueller

I'd they are fading over a week without scour I would suggest selenium deficiency. Inject all cows 15ml vitesel 6 weeks prior to calving. For those now due to calve give the calf 2-3ml on birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes mineral deficiency would be an early, port of call.

• Advertisement

Surely if there have been so many deaths this year and previous years the department would have been involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Grueller wrote: »
    I'd they are fading over a week without scour I would suggest selenium deficiency. Inject all cows 15ml vitesel 6 weeks prior to calving. For those now due to calve give the calf 2-3ml on birth.

Is vitasel still available. Used it on the odd week lamb up til last year but vet said it's gone off the market now.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

whelan2 wrote: »
    Surely if there have been so many deaths this year and previous years the department would have been involved?

Talking to a guy who buys straw here about a month ago and he was telling me he got an awful doing with virus pneumonia in the autumn and lost 15 animals and the vet was Involved before the first 1 died and straight away the department arrived so this type of thing is watched.

He thought he had Cryptosporidium before but now he is not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭green daries

Its quite possible he has a combination of rsv and pi3 (pneumonia virus) and crypto.
    if no really bad scours it probably rules out rota e.coli and Corona. although some of these may present in pneumonia form also I'm told by a vet
    Part of the problem with dual/ or triple infection is that they may mask each other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Most likely they are picking up viral pneumonia either on the form of ibr or rsv p13 from the mother at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭jaymla627

He' know if he had cryto by a simple test kit and calves dying of dehydration, if its viral a shot of zactran/draxin a few hours after birth would get you out of jail, worked on a farm where calves where dying like this and it was mycoplasma bovis that was killing them.....
    First of it needs to be established if calves are getting enough colostrum after birth and aren't been left to suck the cow like he was probably previously been doing when sucking, without adequate biestings at birth a calf in a challenging environment hasnt a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at this tbh. Blood work on cow's and calves post mortem etc. Vet should surely be capable of finding out the issue if not I be changing vets

What is mycoplasma bovis. I won't be meeting him for a few days so I can get more info then.

+++1 on the blood work and the beistings.black dog is probably correct but scour infections can be present also without visible symptoms and can be enough to tip the calves immune system over the edge thus giving them very little chance to get going blood work should be done on different ages of stock on the farm as rsv and pi3 are difficult to pick up some times he is a start up dairy farm so I would presume there are no young breeding animals on the farm

• Advertisement

Young breeding stock? Only a handful I think.

Young breeding stock? Only a handful I think.

Ya young breeding stock just wondering as the pneumonia viruses are usually but not always more prevalent in the younger part of herds ie anything up to 3.5 to 4 year old so by blood testing say 4 of every age group on the farm will give a better chance of getting the virus to show up I would really think that there's more than one virus / infection source on farm for calves to be dying so quickly as moo and another poster have said bloods will tell a tale and can cover deficiencies as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Talking to a guy who buys straw here about a month ago and he was telling me he got an awful doing with virus pneumonia in the autumn and lost 15 animals and the vet was Involved before the first 1 died and straight away the department arrived so this type of thing is watched.
    I worked for a fairy farmer around 10 years ago and he lost 50 calves out of 120 to pneumonia one spring and the department never bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

If it is something similar to Cryptosporidium, I would recommend that your friend ask his vet about Halocur.

We had huge losses, circa 50% of calves, about 10 years ago from a Cryptosporidium-like virus (we could never get a definitive name for it from the lab despite numerous samples being sent for analysis). We started using Halocur on all the newborn calves (you have to give it to them within the first 24/48 hours) and while the virus was still in the herd, we had far fewer losses. We have used it every year since. I would definitely suggest that your friend ask his vet about it.

Just confirmed. Calves getting a really bad scour after a week. Dead after 24 yrs or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Just confirmed. Calves getting a really bad scour after a week. Dead after 24 yrs or so.

Sounds like a bad strain of Crypto.
    I'd be dosing them with Halocur for ten days starting after their first feed.

Or if you could get some rotavec treated biestings for the calves

What is Rotavec.

What is Rotavec.
    It's a vaccine that you give cows a few weeks before calving that helps prevent scour in calves through the cows milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If they have crypto now I'd strongly urge him to consider trying to get someone in to help. Halocur for all calves born and regular disinfecting of calving pens etc. Ensure biestings is going in don't leave calves to suck the cow's for it. Vaccinate all cow's due to calve after 3 weeks with rotavec corona. Get a big batch of effydral tablets and use separate feeding equipment for newborns and sick calves. Calves with crypto will need four to five feeds daily. 2 of milk and 3 of effydral, first thing in morning, midday and last thing at night. Have disinfectant points at calf shed and get separate boots and gear for dealing with sick calves and wash regularly

Advertisement