Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New real time signs for Dublin Bus

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They are putting in new high tech bus stops which could have the real time screens incorporated into them and existing screens at those locations could be moved to locations with no real time currently. Two different systems will not work.

I doubt it, the old style screens require very expensive civil engineering works, you need to get the ESB out to bring power to them, etc.

If a bus stop wasn't busy enough for a RTPI screen the first time around, I doubt they will give such stops the old style screen, when the new style screens seem to be able to work off solar and thus likely much cheaper and easier to install.

Again I could be wrong, I've no inside knowledge, just logically it wouldn't make sense.

Having said that, I definitely welcome integrating the bus stop and RTPI into one pole. Cluttering up the city with loads of extra poles for RTPI in addition to the bus stop poles was silly in the first place IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bk wrote: »
    I doubt it, the old style screens require very expensive civil engineering works, you need to get the ESB out to bring power to them, etc.

If a bus stop wasn't busy enough for a RTPI screen the first time around, I doubt they will give such stops the old style screen, when the new style screens seem to be able to work off solar and thus likely much cheaper and easier to install.

Again I could be wrong, I've no inside knowledge, just logically it wouldn't make sense.

Having said that, I definitely welcome integrating the bus stop and RTPI into one pole. Cluttering up the city with loads of extra poles for RTPI in addition to the bus stop poles was silly in the first place IMO.

Totally agree with you on that point.

The amount of pole installations which accompany even the simplest junction work in the Dublin region,has entered the realm of craziness...(unless,of course one,or one's family, has an interest in the Pole supplier !).

Overcomplex,and often questionable on Road Safety grounds,it is a policy which requires clarification and modification.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Another type is now being trialled
    ESr08M9X0AA7KtP?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭p_haugh

devnull wrote: »
    Another type is now being trialled
    ESr08M9X0AA7KtP?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    There’s also one of these on stop 278 (also on O’Connell street). The screen that shows the routes serving that stop lists every iteration of the 46a, including one for “Phoenix Park” and “Infirmary Road”, even though they’re one in the same

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I quite like this design, it certainly handles the English/Irish simultaneously better. Though perhaps better if they could combine both designs, combine multiple arrivals of the same route like in the pictures from the first screen.

BTW, there are four "tabs" at the bottom of this screen, which are: "Front page", "RealTime", "Messages", "Timetables". With buttons below these, so you can look up extra info like Timetables for routes or messages about diversions, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement