Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon UK adding 9% VAT on books

• 28-01-2020 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi, I’ve noticed recently that Amazon UK are adding vat onto the prices of books. I buy some graphic novels / Absolute collections from amazon from time to time and notice that 9% is being added as vat. I didn’t think books attracted vat and were zero rated in Ireland and the UK so don’t know where this is coming from. Amazon can’t explain it to me and can’t justify the 9% so was wondering if anyone on boards can shed some light?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Books are zero VAT, but newspapers and magazines are 13% as far as I remember. Comic books are probably classed as periodicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

Comics and graphic novels are considered printed books and should be vat exempt. Amazon has started adding vat only in the last month or two for some reason , and the customer service team can’t explain it to me

Comics are at 9% - see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

cannco253 wrote: »
    Comics and graphic novels are considered printed books and should be vat exempt. Amazon has started adding vat only in the last month or two for some reason , and the customer service team can’t explain it to me

The most recent Revenue document issued on Printing and Printed Matter in July 2019 has comics liable to vat at 9%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

thanks I didn’t know that. So does comics cover single issues or collected TPB’s ? I presume both?

Strange how other UK based online retailers don’t charge the 9% but amazon do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Do the other retailers pay VAT in Ireland? Amazon do.
    cannco253 wrote: »
    thanks I didn’t know that. So does comics cover single issues or collected TPB’s ? I presume both?

Strange how other UK based online retailers don’t charge the 9% but amazon do.

Advertisement