Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can women have any truly platonic male friends?

Options
  • 28-01-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

In your experience is it possible for a woman to have any entirely platonic male friends?

That's not to say you don't have male friends you've never done anything with. But rather male friends who you know would never try initiate anything no matter what the circumstances.

I recently had this discussion with my girlfriend, who at first was adamant that she has had numerous platonic friends in the past. But when we actually got through them all only one had never made some sort of pass at her. The rest were justified by her as being drunken half-hearted efforts i.e. in the taxi on a night out, alone walking to the next bar, rather than being pre-meditated attempts in her eyes.

So in the end it became clear that these male friendships were only platonic because she kept them that way, rather than it being a mutual feeling on the men's part.

This was also apparent when i asked her to note how many of her platonic male friends mysteriously go missing when she has a boyfriend :D.

So what do you think in your experience? Can it ever be truly platonic between similarly-aged, reasonably-attractive men and women?

Comments

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Of course, there is such a thing as self control you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

Davy05 wrote: »
    Can it ever be truly platonic between similarly-aged, reasonably-attractive men and women?

Stranger things have happened. Personally, I feel a bit more than a friendship towards all of my female friends. I would not ask them them out or even hint that I would like to have sex with them, since I would likely lose them as friends in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

No, they can't be good friends, certainly not from the men's side anyway. Men who claim otherwise are in denial. This is fairly non-controversial as
    it is not crazy that there is a possibility for one party to want it to go further when they are both straight and are both excellent friends. That is a great base for something further to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's certainly possible but it's rare that it's purely platonic for guys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Haha yes, I have a lot of female friends and I'm not interested in anything more than friendship with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

For me, definitely not now. Sure I have some female friends but we can't be close as I would be with my lad friends. And I wouldn't meet them for drinks, go to the cinema etc just us. I suppose I'm of the Mike Pence school of thought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Plenty of my good friends are men. One in particular has been my friend since we were 14 (now 40). We are both married and get on well with each others spouses - he and my husband would often go for pints/gigs without me or with me. We have been platonic friends for over 20 years and I don't have any romantic feelings towards him nor he to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

In your experience is it possible for a woman to have any entirely platonic male friends?

For the ugly ones, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

yes she can

but he'll still want to sleep with her

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

That's not to say you don't have male friends you've never done anything with. But rather male friends who you know would never try initiate anything no matter what the circumstances.

I recently had this discussion with my girlfriend, who at first was adamant that she has had numerous platonic friends in the past. But when we actually got through them all only one had never made some sort of pass at her. The rest were justified by her as being drunken half-hearted efforts i.e. in the taxi on a night out, alone walking to the next bar, rather than being pre-meditated attempts in her eyes.

So in the end it became clear that these male friendships were only platonic because she kept them that way, rather than it being a mutual feeling on the men's part.

This was also apparent when i asked her to note how many of her platonic male friends mysteriously go missing when she has a boyfriend :D.

So what do you think in your experience? Can it ever be truly platonic between similarly-aged, reasonably-attractive men and women?

So when did you first become suspicious about your girlfriends pals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

optogirl wrote: »
    Plenty of my good friends are men. One in particular has been my friend since we were 14 (now 40). We are both married and get on well with each others spouses - he and my husband would often go for pints/gigs without me or with me. We have been platonic friends for over 20 years and I don't have any romantic feelings towards him nor he to me.

He is a gentleman. Don't ever get drunk together and don't suggest a purely platonic cuddle watching a movie together without other people present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

victor8600 wrote: »
    He is a gentleman. Don't ever get drunk together and don't suggest a purely platonic cuddle watching a movie together without other people present.

Most of our relationship is getting drunk together especially now we are older and meet ups are always for pub/gigs - sitting in a field smoking 10 fags between us and discussing Oasis & the Premier League just doesn't cut it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

I have one only. We have been friends for a few years now. Started working together realized we had common interests so started hanging out. Neither of us never had any romantic feelings for each other.
    We did drift for a while just didn’t see each other but the last year has been tough for both us and it was actually his fiancée who encouraged him to give me a call to talk as he had pretty much drifted from everyone.
    I think I’d there was a physical attraction it would be different though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Haha yes, I have a lot of female friends and I'm not interested in anything more than friendship with them.

We believe you Senator Norris

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

For me personally it would be a resounding yes. I've had plenty of close female friends over the past decade who I've gone to the cinema, drinks and dinner with even before I was in a relationship and we always saw each other as just friends in every way friends of our own respective genders were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Yes of course it is, I've had female friends over 10+ years and though with some of them I though "what if?". That faded many years ago and we've all had our own respective relationships with our partners and remained good friends throughout.

Many people know when there is a spark between one another. It's not something you can force or will in to existence. Also yes, some other poster mentioned self control. Control your stupid urges and make the sober realisations that if it was going to happen with a friend who was a girl, who you have been friends with a long time, it would have happened sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My youngest daughter has a male friend from her days in the scouts, my daughter lives with her boyfriend and her male friend stays with then if anything is on her boyfriend does not have any issue with him coming to stay with them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep. I've had a few down the years. They're like sisters I suppose. Zero sexual attraction going on. And no, they're not uggos by any means. Two in particular would be seen as objectively at the higher end of attractiveness, but never had that spark at all. To the point of eeewww thinking about it. Maybe it's some deep down pheromone incompatibility thing?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Can a man and women be 100% good/close friends without anything else? nope. not truly.

You'll often find out that people once hooked up... or at the very very least were gonna hook up at one point just before theother got into a relationship etc.
    There's even people who "hook up" after years of being friends. Cause one half broke up. Like, we meant to believe there was no attraction (or even a bit of hanky panky on the side)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

None of the guys ive been good friends with have not tried it on at some time or another. And honestly, I'm not that hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yes once they don't fancy each other. Men aren't these uncontrollable over sexed apes who want to ride absolutely every woman ever.

Or yes once at least one of them is in a relationship with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Of course woman and men can be platonic friends.

I have three women, we have been friends since we were kids. One is divorced, the other two are married, their husbands are friends now also. I have numerous other female friends who are purely that, friends.

Then again, I am secure in who I am and so are they. As Wibbs said, they are like sisters to me. The thoughts of anything happening are kinda....ewwwww..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

NSAman wrote: »

I have three women, we have been friends since we were kids. One is divorced, the other two are married, their husbands are friends now also. I have numerous other female friends who are purely that, friends.

Then again, I am secure in who I am and so are they. As Wibbs said, they are like sisters to me. The thoughts of anything happening are kinda....ewwwww..

Question is ... :pac:
    When you were younger, before you viewed them as sisters... was there anything there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Thread title should be, "can an attractive woman have platonic heterosexual male friends"?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Question is ... :pac:
    When you were younger, before you viewed them as sisters... was there anything there :pac:

Nothing. Seriously nothing.

(And no before you say they were hit with the Ugly stick.. they were not.;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes but it's not the same as a same sex friendship and things change when one of you is in a relationship, they're more likely to fizzle out, from my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

NSAman wrote: »

Anything from a 6/10 upwards men will bang.
    5/10 downwards and I agree ...ewwwww

Advertisement