Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Refund

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Stuff happens and you cannot blame a hotel for a drunken idiot whatsoever. Instead of placing blame on the staff I actually feel sorry for them when stuff like this happens.

If your that way inclined just drop them an email saying about the fire alarm, awake all night etc, going to leave a negative review etc. and you should get a free night stay.

Your not going to get refunded. Some of your posts sound like your planning a law suit or something for distress.

Not at all, those were in response to the unhelpful replies telling me I simply heard a noise and woke up.

I probably would have said the same prior to this happening, but when you are in a place that you aren’t overly familiar with it can be terrifying when something like this happens.

I can see now why people get disorientated and end up running down the wrong stairs etc. in blind panic.
    It sounded like there was an ambulance parked right next to my bed it was that loud, the windows flew open and next thing all I could hear was doors slamming and people trying to get out as fast as possible.

People dismissing that as no big deal and not an issue just don’t have a clue, I believed the hotel at that time that was on fire and I was afraid.
    Luckily it wasn’t and I’m so grateful for that, all I wanted was an acknowledgment and apology from the hotel but the way some on this thread are carrying on you’d swear I was complaining about my neighbour coughing too loud or something.
    It was a frightening experience and it was for no good reason, and the hotel have done absolutely nothing to apologise for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Maybe the drunk guest will send you an apology letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

gibgodsman wrote: »
    maybe complain to the drunk guest, not the hotel

Yeah don't complain to management anyway god forbid that would involve them having to do their job and manage the hotel, do it yourself.

Yeah don't complain to management anyway god forbid that would involve them having to do their job and manage the hotel, do it yourself.

Management would have his details. They could contact him and ask for a letter to be passed onto the guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Not at all, those were in response to the unhelpful replies telling me I simply heard a noise and woke up.

I probably would have said the same prior to this happening, but when you are in a place that you aren’t overly familiar with it can be terrifying when something like this happens.

I can see now why people get disorientated and end up running down the wrong stairs etc. in blind panic.
    It sounded like there was an ambulance parked right next to my bed it was that loud, the windows flew open and next thing all I could hear was doors slamming and people trying to get out as fast as possible.

People dismissing that as no big deal and not an issue just don’t have a clue, I believed the hotel at that time that was on fire and I was afraid.
    Luckily it wasn’t and I’m so grateful for that, all I wanted was an acknowledgment and apology from the hotel but the way some on this thread are carrying on you’d swear I was complaining about my neighbour coughing too loud or something.
    It was a frightening experience and it was for no good reason, and the hotel have done absolutely nothing to apologise for it.

Why didn't you ask to speak to the manager before you checked out?

• Advertisement

It's better to take to social media with such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

It's amazing that the go to defendant in this scenario is the hotel, and not the person that disturbed the nights sleep. It was the guest actions that caused the problem, whether it was one two or three times. Is it because the hotel is the easier mark?

And it is idiotic to say that the staff should "police" (as one poster said) their guest. What were they supposed to do, rugby tackle them to the ground and slap them in cuffs? Only the Gardai can get away with that.

Did any one get much snow this morning? Seems to be a lot of snowflakes about recently.

It's amazing that the go to defendant in this scenario is the hotel, and not the person that disturbed the nights sleep. It was the guest actions that caused the problem, whether it was one two or three times. Is it because the hotel is the easier mark?

The hotel have money, the guest may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I would expect a voucher for a similar stay if this happened to me.

:rolleyes:

I'll volunteer to set off the 5am alarms.... just so it's very similar.....

OP get over yourself - Coming on here posting about whether you should be indignant or not.

The Hotel was the victim of other peoples antisocial behaviour also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Just looking for some opinions.

I was staying at a hotel over the weekend and on the last night of our stay, the fire alarms started going off at around 5am.
    We got a huge fright and made our way to reception to evacuate, along with many others, only to be told it was a false alarm and all was ok. We went back to our room and the alarm went off twice more (for 5/6 mins at a time) within the next hour.
    We went to evacuate again but met another guest on the stairs who said it was another false alarm.

We were so shook and on edge none of us could go back to sleep and it ruined both our nights sleep and the following day, as we were exhausted.
    Nothing was mentioned at checkout the next day, the receptionist didn’t even acknowledge it until we specifically asked what had happened. It turned out a drunk guest had been setting it off for fun.

Now if it was a technical issue or something I would have no issue, I’d consider it to be just one of those things, but I’m really annoyed that the guest was left unsupervised and roaming around the hotel for long enough to be able to set off the alarm 3 times. If drunk guests are that much of an issue they should really have security on hand for instances like these.

I’m tempted to email and complain, but I don’t know if I’m being unreasonable or not. I’m not trying to be a money grabber but it frightened the life out of me and ruined the last day of my holiday, and I’m really annoyed that it even happened.
    I’m obviously happy and grateful it was a false alarm but it really was a massive inconvenience.
    Would you be annoyed and seeking a refund if this happened to you?

Having recently stayed at a joke of a guesthouse, my thinking is that you are entitled to expect a peaceful night's sleep unless warned otherwise (niteclub downstairs for instance).

There are too many businesses in this country that will try to insist your parrot isn't dead !!!!!

• Advertisement

I was told there was none available. I wasn’t offered any explanation until I specifically asked and they didn’t apologise either.

Perhaps the OP did express to the staff that they were grateful for the staffs work in going beyond their job description in attempting to deal with the trouble maker.
    In that case it would be rude for the staff not to acknowledge that it had also caused stress for the guests.

tuxy wrote: »
    It's better to take to social media with such matters.

Which I haven’t done, nor have I named the hotel or even what location it was in.
    I simply asked for some advice. But don’t let that stop you dropping in with your passive aggressive little digs, work away.

Which I haven’t done, nor have I named the hotel or even what location it was in.
    I simply asked for some advice. But don’t let that stop you dropping in with your passive aggressive little digs, work away.

Are you looking for a refund or an apology because some posts are contradictory?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

I was told there was none available. I wasn’t offered any explanation until I specifically asked and they didn’t apologise either.

On a scale of 1 to 10 in the confrontational scale, how did you ask to speak to a manager and demand an explanation? Did you not complain to the person who gave you the eplanation and demand a contact, phone or e-mail, from a manager at the earliest possible opportunity? Could they not phone a manager to get them to speak to you? Is this hotel in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Loopylineking

Have you been able to sleep since OP or are you experiencing post traumatic stress? I know a good Solicitor if your looking for one?

How frightening that must have been for you, you poor pet. You should easily get 100k for the inadequate experience you had to endure.

I’m shocked beyond all words on what happened to you! To think the hotel allowed a drink person onto the premises putting you at risk. Also to think they had working fire alarms that is absolutely horrendous.

The hotel should of having staff in every corner looking for drunk people. I’m actually mortified this has happened to you. Words can’t explain how angry I am.

You okay hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm not sure what you want to get out of it OP? You say that you don't want money etc, so what kind of satisfaction are you looking for?

You could ring the hotel and vent, you will likely get a sympathetic apology and maybe gesture of goodwill.

You could leave a mediocre review for them. Given the events you laid out most people would interpret as a once-off, unfortunate situation that the hotel could have handled better, but was ultimately down to an unruly guest. Unless there is a pattern of it on their reviews it unlikely to do any damage to them.

Personally I'd just move on.

Same thing happened to me in a £12 a night hostel in Glasgow. No apology from staff for me either. For some odd reason I didn't even think of saying anything to staff or ask for a manager.
    I did however decide to have my breakfast early because of it, the extra time allowed me to have a great time in the city that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Loopylineking

tuxy wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me in a £12 a night hostel in Glasgow. No apology from staff for me either. For some odd reason I didn't even think of saying anything to staff or ask for a manager.
    I did however decide to have my breakfast early because of it, the extra time allowed me to have a great time in the city that day.

I’m sorry that happened to you. I know a good councilor if you need one.

Isn’t it terrible that minimum wage staff looking after the place didn’t confront the drunk person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I’m sorry that happened to you. I know a good councilor if you need one.

They might not be in the same electoral area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I would have just stayed in bed after the first false alarm. Earplugs are a great job on a weekend away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

1850 715 815

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread has long since run its course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement