Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Michael Martin not a fan of SF then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Would've been nice to see the Shinners included considering its fair game for these two say basically what they like about them. Not very impartial by Kenny at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Two of them ripping into sf and they aren't there to defend themselves .

Shows the stupidity of only the 2 parties being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

When is the next TV debate involving if not Martin and varadkar but other parties ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Both leaders sucking up to the Greens, very telling where they see the lay of the land after the election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

NIMAN wrote: »

They’re genuinely scared. It’s embarrassing for the two of them that for five years past and five years coming they’re propping each other up in a what is essentially a coalition.

There’s no real opposition here, chances are they’ll be back in the same situation after the election. SF are the only realistic opposition for many and therefore both men will seek to attack them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

also only noticed on playback , FG have said they'll do a coalition with the greens , thats them completely off the agenda for me, danger zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Only home myself after a few days away. Worth replaying this tomorrow or was there anything of real substance/controversy said?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Only home myself after a few days away. Worth replaying this tomorrow or was there anything of real substance/controversy said?

leo was like a deer in the headlights when asked about past drug use, both of them stumbled on health, both had a good go at the shinners. thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Genuine question and i might hace missed it byt why were SF omitted from this debate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Would've been nice to see the Shinners included considering its fair game for these two say basically what they like about them. Not very impartial by Kenny at all.

It's a joke tbh.
    Easy to see why they don't want SF involved though. It was barely a debate. Two fellas who have been egging each other on for the last number of years pretending to disagree with each other. If Mary Lou had been there, they might have to actually have a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

rafatoni wrote: »
    Genuine question and i might hace missed it byt why were SF omitted from this debate?

Because they wanted a debate between the only candidates who actually have a realistic hope of leading the next government, without the distraction of SF throwing dirt knowing they would never have to enact anything they suggest.

In a 2 party coalition they don't even have enough candidates to be the major party. And that's assuming every single one of their candidates is elected.
    The best they can hope is to be a minor coalition partner. They have no place in a debate between those who actually will have the responsibility of leading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well the OAPs in this country will vote at every election so no political party are going to get sideways with them.
    I think he prob meant public pensions instead of state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Because they wanted a debate between the only candidates who actually have a realistic hope of leading the next government, without the distraction of SF throwing dirt knowing they would never have to enact anything they suggest.

Serious question, do you not find it undemocratic?

I do. SF should be afforded the opportunity to make more ground. They are running very close to Fine Gael whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

ChikiChiki wrote: »

I do. SF should be afforded the opportunity to make more ground. They are running very close to Fine Gael whether you like it or not.

There will be furture debates where they will have an opportunity to debate.

In this election they haven't even entered enough candidates to be a major coalation partner. It's easy for any party to be a hurler on the ditch and attack the opposition knowing they won't be in a position to enact any legislation.

It's far more like that the Greens/Labour will be in the next government so they deserve a place at the debate just as much as SF, and at that stage, we have 6-7 leaders all shouting at each other.

There's a place for both type of debates, and if SF and Mary Lou could actually be in a position to be the next Taoiseach, then yes she should be in the debate. But she isn't. So for this specific debate, no I don't think she should be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Mary Lou isn't in contention to be the next Taoiseach and that's what this debate was about.

I find it a bit odd that some people are complaining the MLMD isn't there but aren't calling for all of the other leaders are also excluded. Pulling the ladder up?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I can’t find it anywhere.

Can someone let me know how to watch it now? Not on either of the players...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I can’t find it anywhere.

Can someone let me know how to watch it now? Not on either of the players...

Usually takes a couple of hours after show ends....try tomorrow on virginmedia player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think the debate is benefiting from the exclusion of SF. It would be a lot less civilised if Mary Lou was in there shouting over everyone.

Yes beige and light brown really set it off arguing over who should be the leader of their next partnership. Good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Ff/fg two sides of the same coin.

It's a shame that only two party's were given air time in this debate.

All party's should be given equal time across the board.
    I must be the only one that is annoyed by this.
    I find this attitude that Ohh, it's fg/ff are the only way to go to be archaic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Notdeco wrote: »

The others don't get near enough coverage as it is. People need know why they'd be mad to vote outside FF/FG :rolleyes:

More about keeping the civil war monopoly going.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

What are the chances of seeing "Leo's drug shame" on the papers tomorrow? !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Notdeco wrote: »

This debate is valid for just MM and LV seeing as it is between two people that are potentially going to be taoiseach in a few weeks time.

Mary Lou isn't a potential candidate for that. There will be other debates with all the parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭CobraClan

What are the chances of seeing "Leo's drug shame" on the papers tomorrow? !

You won't hear it from RTE first!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,144 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What if MM had to team up with SF in power so he could be Taoiseach (if FG, Greens and Labour don't get enough votes) would he do it for his dream role

FF or FG will need another party as they won't get the votes, both together made this country even worse

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What if MM had to team up with SF in power so he could be Taoiseach (if FG, Greens and Labour don't get enough votes) would he do it for his dream role

FF or FG will need another party as they won't get the votes, both together made this country even worse

This is the issue, I really hope a lot of easy to live with independents get in this time, the greens and SF are both morally unpalatable and would demand things at odds with our economy. FF eother needs to win big or C&s return with MM at the head

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Kenny doesn't like them either and it would have been shooting a fish in a barrel. That they got press in something they were not part of suggests both parties see them as a threat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

After watching that debate last night I think the electorate need to ensure that FG/FG get so few seats that they are forced to merge as 1 party.
    Maybe 30 seats each might do it. We need them to merge in order to somehow fix Irish politics.

So go out and vote anyone but FFG and lets see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

somehow fix Irish politics.

I think most people would like to see this, however voting in idiots like Pearse Doherty, Paul Murphy, etc. is not the answer imo. Only have to look across the water if we take a "see what happens" approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

... the greens and SF are both morally unpalatable...

Go on, I'll bite. How are The Greens morally unpalatable?

Advertisement