Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Custom fitting Review

  • 22-01-2020 4:14pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ kod12


    Has anyone used the Golf Lab custom fitting centre up in stackstown golf club

    Looks to be a really state of the art facility just wondering has anyone had a club fitting there and whats the prices like compared to other custom centres

    cheers


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ willabur


    I had a putting lesson there last week.
    Nice set up in there, they have plenty of club altering equipment there so I'm sure they can put some good equipment in you hand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭ youcancallmeal


    I'm a member in Stackstown and have availed of a lot of what they offer. In particular I bought a 2nd hand set of clubs, brought it into them and had them retrofitted with lengthening, lies adjusting, grip size increased etc. I also had a putter fitting with sam puttlab and in the end just had my current putter lengthened and counter balances added. Very happy with everything I've had done with them and will definitely be talking to them again next time I update my bag.


  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ kod12


    Excellent that's great to hear. I've heard nothing but great reviews about the place so looking forward to getting fitted. Similar to you I was fitted a few years back on irons but would need to change the shafts and lofts and lies etc and look at a whole bag fit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭ Ottoman_1000


    Looking at getting a new set of irons. What do they charge for their custom fit does anyone know?


  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ kod12


    Full bag is €100 i think and that comes off the price


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭ newport2


    Looking at getting a new set of irons. What do they charge for their custom fit does anyone know?

    They are pretty reasonably priced.

    I got a full set of my existing irons fitted, reshafted, regripped and pured for €400. This price also included the fitting of the rest of my clubs which we concluded did not need changing, so they will tell you if you are good with what you have. I got to try all my clubs with a multitude of shafts. Probably an hour and a half spent with me.

    Great array of gear there. Along with usual stuff they also stock some which is not available in ordinary golf shops in Ireland (PXG, Honma, some makes I never heard of). Michael Kavanagh fitted me and is a gentleman.


  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ kod12


    newport2 wrote: »
    They are pretty reasonably priced.

    I got a full set of my existing irons fitted, reshafted, regripped and pured for €400. This price also included the fitting of the rest of my clubs which we concluded did not need changing, so they will tell you if you are good with what you have. I got to try all my clubs with a multitude of shafts. Probably an hour and a half spent with me.

    Great array of gear there. Along with usual stuff they also stock some which is not available in ordinary golf shops in Ireland (PXG, Honma, some makes I never heard of). Michael Kavanagh fitted me and is a gentleman.


    That’s good to hear I was looking into getting that done with my own irons as it’s prob just the shafts I need changing and lofts and lies etc. booked in now looking forward to it


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭ Ottoman_1000


    Thanks for the feedback folks. Going to book myself in for a fitting this week...


  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ kod12


    Thanks for the feedback folks. Going to book myself in for a fitting this week...

    Let us know how you get on. I’m heading there the end of the month


  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ CFG92


    Interview with them on this podcast... well worth a listen:

    https://open.spotify.com/episode/3kfoneKTPwkY5D1ImGmLpS


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ blue note


    I went for a custom fitting for a driver in halpenny airside at the weekend. I must say I loved the experience. I couldn't fault the guy who fitted me and am really excited to be getting a new driver.

    I'm going from a 10 year old cobra s9 10.5 reg flex to a cobra speedzone 9.0 stiff shaft. I thought I probably would have benefitted from a stiff shaft but was fairly shocked when I saw my swing speed next to the recommended shafts. Regular shaft is recommended for 75-90mph and I was swinging around 106. Creeping into extra stiff, but I tried one and was just better with the stiff (for 90-105mph). I wonder is there an element of me being used to the regular shaft and extra stiff was too much of a difference, but who knows. I also thought I'd get a shorter shaft but we tried that and the longer one suited me better.

    Overall I'm probably only gaining a couple of yards, but am definitely looking straighter, so that'll be some difference. And if I can sort out my angle of attack I'll be gaining about 20 yards, so that's definitely a goal now!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭ woodyg


    blue note wrote: »
    I went for a custom fitting for a driver in halpenny airside at the weekend. I must say I loved the experience. I couldn't fault the guy who fitted me and am really excited to be getting a new driver.

    I'm going from a 10 year old cobra s9 10.5 reg flex to a cobra speedzone 9.0 stiff shaft. I thought I probably would have benefitted from a stiff shaft but was fairly shocked when I saw my swing speed next to the recommended shafts. Regular shaft is recommended for 75-90mph and I was swinging around 106. Creeping into extra stiff, but I tried one and was just better with the stiff (for 90-105mph). I wonder is there an element of me being used to the regular shaft and extra stiff was too much of a difference, but who knows. I also thought I'd get a shorter shaft but we tried that and the longer one suited me better.

    Overall I'm probably only gaining a couple of yards, but am definitely looking straighter, so that'll be some difference. And if I can sort out my angle of attack I'll be gaining about 20 yards, so that's definitely a goal now!

    what Handicap are you off ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ blue note


    14. I am only back a few months though and feel I'm playing to about the same standard I was before I have the game a break when I was off 11. And generally speaking my ball striking is the stronger part of my game. Once I get inside 100m I play like I'm off more than 14.


  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Sipper


    Has anybody got any recommendations as to where to get fitted correctly in the Co Kerry area? I notice that Killarney Golf Club have trackman and are fitting outdoors, so not in the back of a shop which I would prefer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭ ShivasIrons


    Sipper wrote: »
    Has anybody got any recommendations as to where to get fitted correctly in the Co Kerry area? I notice that Killarney Golf Club have trackman and are fitting outdoors, so not in the back of a shop which I would prefer.


    Go to Cork


  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭ golfguy1


    Go to Cork

    Mark Heinamen in killarney golf club is excellent for fitting and advice.
    Fits for a few different brands aswell


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ blue note


    Finally got my new driver out on the course. And she's a beast! I actually think this equipment change will really help me which I wasn't really expecting. But my dispersion was simply tighter. The slices and fades were smaller. Which had the added benefit of losing me less distance too.

    But I know from the way I hit it on the third in corballis that with the old club it would have been a proper slice. But instead it was just a little tail right and I still carried the corner into the wind.

    I'm very happy with this buy!


  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ kod12


    Had my custom fit session with Michael in the Golf Lab and would highly recommend it to anyone looking. Had a driver fit and was told the head was perfect just needed a new shaft and was SST pured also and shortened. Has mad a world of difference to my dispersion off the tee.

    The technology used there and the service is top notch ill be going back again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭ youcancallmeal


    kod12 wrote: »
    Had my custom fit session with Michael in the Golf Lab and would highly recommend it to anyone looking. Had a driver fit and was told the head was perfect just needed a new shaft and was SST pured also and shortened. Has mad a world of difference to my dispersion off the tee.

    The technology used there and the service is top notch ill be going back again.

    That's what I really like about them, not trying to upsell a whole new driver unless that's what you really want. Had the same experience with my putter fitting


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    kod12 wrote: »
    Had my custom fit session with Michael in the Golf Lab and would highly recommend it to anyone looking. Had a driver fit and was told the head was perfect just needed a new shaft and was SST pured also and shortened. Has mad a world of difference to my dispersion off the tee.

    The technology used there and the service is top notch ill be going back again.

    What does SST pured mean?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ kod12


    etxp wrote: »
    What does SST pured mean?

    The SST PURE Shaft Alignment System analyzes the structure of any golf shaft and identifies its most stable bending plane, or Neutral-Axis. When assembled in the clubhead in this SST PUREd orientation, the result is improved consistency.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭ Ottoman_1000


    So after postponing my fitting last March after the world turned to s#*t, I booked in with Michael at the Golf Lab in early December and was very happy with how it went. In my head before going in I really wanted either the Ping i500's or i210's and by luck he had a 2nd hand set of i500's in mint condition that he tried me with. Loved them and the whole process was top class...only downside is now my clubs are ready and I have no where to hit them!!!!!!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭ big_drive


    Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on fittings in Cork area

    Monkstown golf club

    Fota

    Killarney golf

    I've heard plenty good stuff regards Drive Golf performance in glanmire and been there for a lesson few years ago

    I've been fit in foregolf around 2015 but wondering about options closer to Cork or am I better just go back to foregolf again



  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    I was at Foregolf last week, inventory is an issue, they did not have mid sized Golf Price MCC grips even, phone them to ensure if you have anything particular in mind that they have it



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭ big_drive


    Ya thats another consideration. I've heard left handers are being particularly hard hit with unavailability of club heads , etc



  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ kod12


    Does concept golf give you the specs if you dont buy with them and does the fitting cost come off the price of the clubs? Has anyone used Mcguirks for a fitting and have they aftermarket shafts? I had one fitting for a Driver years ago and the fitter couldnt be less interested in the whole process



  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭ Russman


    I had an irons and, separately, a driver fitting with Concept golf about two/three months ago and I got the specs no problem. I don't know if the fitting cost comes off the price of any clubs you buy. Have to say the experience was great both times, very informative and Mark was super interested in tweaking as much as we could out of the sessions.

    I've used McGuirks on occasion and have generally found them ok, with my preference being for the fitting bay in Leopardstown driving range (granted its range balls). I've often wondered if outdoors with range balls is better/worse than indoors into a screen with good golf balls. Probably indoors in fairness.



  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ kod12


    Thats great I have heard very good reviews about Mark in Concept. Does he stock the full range of manufacturers?



  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭ Russman


    Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. I'm a lefty so naturally there was a smaller selection, but seemed to be a good lot of RH stuff. I got to try 6 different irons at my fitting, Srixon ZX5 & ZX7, Titleist T200, TM P770, Ping i525 and I can't remember the last one, might have been Callaway Apex. I don't think I saw any Mizuno gear there, but open to correction, think supply chain issues were mentioned.

    Pretty sure I saw Ping, Taylor Made, Titleist and Callaway drivers (or at least headcovers !!), maybe Srixon too. I wasn't paying that much attention as I told him I didn't want to know what he was handing me to hit so I wouldn't be biased. Of course there are some that are obvious to the eye at the same time.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭ FixdePitchmark


    Guys...is there anywhere good for actually trying putters on a putting green...

    Was going to try actually getting a fitting for a putter ?

    But find some of them set ups a bit unnatural for putting.

    Made an error of a face balanced putter and put me backwards .

    I probably have a stroke that does need fitting?

    Ideas welcome....Dublin area....



Advertisement