Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I'm in the Carrigaline DP area which on the NBI site says ready to connect but hundreds of houses are still in the network build in progress stage, we don't even have fibre cables strung up or DPs yet but supposed to be completed between Dec and Jan, we'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Definitely guess work.Those Lads are just employed to do the build work. To give you an idea. 10 months ago a group of men working on the Fibre network were outside our house I got chatting to them then asked the all important question "How long before installation?" They all said " A couple of months" They just give you a vague couple of months to keep you happy. Sorry but that's the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

At least after always just showing Survey Pending I got this - a cosmetic change except for a projected date:

Rural North Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Serious amount of work going on on the backroad between Passage and Rochestown yesterday. Not sure if that has anything to do with where you are but they are working around the place still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

Just got a revised date from NBI. In South Dublin and date moved from Jan 22 to Apr 23!!!!!!!!! Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

At least those of us with previously no dates and just Survey Pending now have some idea

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Hmm weird I'm in the same DA and my email hadn't that error. I did notice on the maps though that parts of the Tipperary DA are down as survey in progress even though they're in the DA on the map of those, out past Emily so a good bit out really from Tipperary Town. Most of the activity really has been along the N24 though recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I contacted them on Twitter about it, and they told me that the DA dates on the website were correct. When I asked them why the email was wrong, no response. I'm beginning to think "Cian" is a bot :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

"We estimate that the premises at Eircode XXXXX will be connected between January 2025 - December 2026."

Frack me, this is actually worse than if they keep stringing me along, an absolute joke. I'm in a rural area just outside Tullamore but with a quite a lot of houses around.

What hope has someone in the hills of Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shane119

Got the exact same email today 🤣🤣. Rural Co Mayo here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Same email here in rural north Cork … ffs

Same email received today. West Co Sligo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I also got my 1st ever actual status update from them today - Saying the target was Jan-April 2023 for me.

I haven't heard a thing up to this point though , despite being signed up for updates for well over a year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

I got that very same email today 😵‍💫

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

South sligo  - January 2025 - December 2026.

Get in.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Sorry if off topic,or in the wrong place but BT fibre to premises,( mine in this case in Co.Down), want to remove the existing copper landline, replacing it with digital, I assume using the copper along side the fibre coming in. Problem is, if power goes off, quite often in winter, no calls can any longer be made using an old phone which at present uses the 50 volts dc on the copper. This is also a notspot,no mobile signal, so with this new improved digital service I'm worse off if I loose power,unable to make any calls,even emergency!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Emergency calls (like 112 or 999) work on mobiles even when there is "no signal".

Dunno how, but apparently that's the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dam099

They wont work with no signal at all but believe they can use any network for emergency calls even if not subscribed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

Peter Hendrick was on Newstalk on Monday morning. Nothing really new in the interview but some might want to listen anyway.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/is-our-national-broadband-rollout-meeting-its-target

• Advertisement

If you’ve very frequent power outages and there are no mobile signals, I would suggest a good UPS (battery back up). They’re not astronomically expensive and would be able to power your fibre equipment and router though the power failure.

You simply plug the UPS into a mains socket, and plug your router & other fibre equipment’s mains plugs into it and it will keep them supplied with 230V 50Hz though the power outage.

Typically NTUs and routers do not draw very much power, so are pretty easy to back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Emly is in the Hospital DA. The Tipperary DA ends half-way between Lattin and Emly, so that probably explain why parts of Tipperary (but not the Tipperary DA) are showing a different status

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You are correct - When dialing those numbers the phone will connect to any available signal , regardless of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭clohamon

Public Accounts Committee propose to meet the Department on 14th Oct re NBP progress and expenditure.

The progress and expenditure on that is of concern to members. Some of us have raised it in the Dáil in the recent past, so I propose that, with the members' permission, we engage with the Department on that on 14 October. Is that agreeable to members? Is Deputy Carthy happy enough that we drop his initial proposal? - Chairman Brian Stanley TD

https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?gid=2021-09-21a.150

Exactly so,but as you rightly point out,no signal notspot,means just that.

Thanks for that,actually most of the house runs on 12 volts dc, from small scale solar PV. This would allow me to go into the fibre box dc in at 12 v,without going up to 230 ac and down again involving ups and inverters. Interesting thing is the bt engineer just removed the 4 AA battery backup system that kept bringing up a red fault light,due to a charging fault in the power supply/charger box. They've done away with this( daft) as he called it system,which must have cost them a few Bob. Of course I'd never dream of opening any of this equipment or suggesting anyone else do so without the express permission of BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,999 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Also got an 'update' from NBI (rural Waterford). We were told early 2020 that we would be connected in 2022, so we patiently wait through 2020, at some stage this year they said the survey was going ahead. Now its a two year window - Jan '23 to Dec. '24. And absolutely no guarantee that this is not just a 'keep telling them something' message and next year it will be pushed on again.

What we have at the moment is just adequate to, say, watch you tube videos, but zoom is dodgy, working from home is almost impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I got an update from NBI as well.

Late 2025 or early 2026.

I haven't been able to stop laughing since 😂

We couldn't run a p*ss up in a brewery in this country 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Still genuinely confused on what expectations are here tbh. Connecting hundreds of thousands of homes across the country lads during the worst global pandemic where millions of people died and never experienced in our lifetimes lockdowns for months.

A bit of common sense applies. The pandemic has thrown out the project progress and with hundreds of thousands of homes people have to be first and people have to be last. It's a 5 to 7 year program not 1 to 2.

I'm in the last bracket btw and that's life . I'm presuming many people thought they'd be all done and dusted in 3 years and everyone would be in the first phase ....

What's most amusing is people that seem to who have only heard about NBP since they had to work from home and all of a sudden are checking their houses on the list getting surprised by dates. This is a large cohort of the newly upset .

Advertisement