Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,439 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Thankfully things are changing as in the recent Westminister elections where both parties took a hammering in their vote.

Made them realise they needed a deal.

Sinn Fein's contribution to the Dail has been to disrupt and block and complain, pretty much how the DUP have operated in Westminister. Once again, two opposite sides of the same disgusting block.

Again...they had a deal two years ago.

Keep the old head in the sand because it suits the tired narrative that nobody, bar yourself and a few stubborn partitionists believes anymore. The evidence is there for all to see. The general electorate got a taste of it in the UK too and look at how they reacted. I don't see too many going around the UK with 'F**k SF' Badges and banners or in this case tea towels.
    ?width=433&version=3747993

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

maccored wrote: »
    Try having the DUP in the Dail - then come back to me and say its both sides

SF refused to go back over the ILA, an act that no one in the South would care about if you read anything about the complaints over mandatory Irish in schools.

They abdicated all action over Brexit, leaving the Irish government to fight the corner for NI.

Simply not willing to make any compromises or step up to the plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Might be of interest, but did you know that the leaders did very little canvassing today to be intensively briefed on their manifestos? They are quite bulky documents.
    I'm sure it must have been fun at your front door as you questioned her about a document that is 110 pages long.

There's a few around here who had difficulty reading them properly as well :)

We've been told that all the potentials and sitting politicians create these manifestos, so surely they'd know them inside out? ;)

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I will explain it to you again. The €6.5 billion is additional in order to build 100,000 homes.

The existing €6.5 billion, that’s €1.3 billion a year over 5 years is already busy doing all the other things that the existing housing budget does.

If you still don’t get it, I will type it out slower for you.

Not if FG are out. No more leasing for 25 years hopefully.
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I didn’t misrepresent anything.

They intend to deliver over 100,00 new homes on public land by spending an additional €6.5 billion.

What’s hard to understand about that?

Do you think that all the existing demands on the housing budget will cease so it can be diverted to building the €65k houses?

Is that what your line is now?

I'd imagine so. Why would any decent socially aware party want to continue failed FG policy that enriches private concerns with tax payer money?

SF, staying out of government in the North for three years over the ILA.
    It just demonstrates the priorities they have. Certainly the ordinary voter isn't and why they have to promise so many goodies to try to buy votes.

And they were getting slagged for making concessions to have a return... :rolleyes:
    SF refused to go back over the ILA, an act that no one in the South would care about if you read anything about the complaints over mandatory Irish in schools.

They abdicated all action over Brexit, leaving the Irish government to fight the corner for NI.

Keep current will you? They conceeded that while the DUP/FG got their Ulster-scots like little babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I believe you are over simplifying things. there was more than the ILA in issue. then again, sure Anyone But Sinn Fein

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Thankfully things are changing as in the recent Westminister elections where both parties took a hammering in their vote.

Made them realise they needed a deal.

Sinn Fein's contribution to the Dail has been to disrupt and block and complain, pretty much how the DUP have operated in Westminister. Once again, two opposite sides of the same disgusting block.

Good observation, agreed.
    Both parties are wreckers, but for the sake of this election, Sinn Fein are he only wreckers in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not if FG are out. No more leasing for 25 years hopefully.

I'd imagine so. Why would any decent socially aware party want to continue failed FG policy that enriches private concerns with tax payer money?

So Sinn Fein are going to pay for their housebuilding programme by:

(1) Reneging on the leasing agreements entered into by local councils under the control of various political parties
    (2) Stopping the funding going to housing associations for building social housing (that is contradictory)
    (3) Not paying anymore for emergency accommodation and making people sleep in the streets
    (4) Cutting off all state funding for housing bodies like Peter McVerry Trust.

After all those are the things that the State currently spends the €6.5bn on. If it is needed to somehow justify that Sinn Fein's fantasy housebuilding programme doesn't depend on building houses for 65k, at least be honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

So Sinn Fein are going to pay for their housebuilding programme by:

(1) Reneging on the leasing agreements entered into by local councils under the control of various political parties
    (2) Stopping the funding going to housing associations for building social housing (that is contradictory)
    (3) Not paying anymore for emergency accommodation and making people sleep in the streets
    (4) Cutting off all state funding for housing bodies like Peter McVerry Trust.

After all those are the things that the State currently spends the €6.5bn on. If it is needed to somehow justify that Sinn Fein's fantasy housebuilding programme doesn't depend on building houses for 65k, at least be honest about it.

Well they could always go the way of FG and the NCH. Overspend and incompetence. At least they are aiming high.

Granny15 wrote: »
    Well they could always go the way of FG and the NCH. Overspend and incompetence. At least they are aiming high.

And for the working tax payer. Be nice to have a government looking after the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Granny15 wrote: »

And then we can pay one of the big 4 to do a report on reports. Speaking of big 4 FG must be the biggest users of consultants since the founding of the state.everything seems to be PWC or Deloitte.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I saw more reasons today why people like SF candidates but do not vote SF.
    I was was driving through the Dublin Bay North Constituency and a number of FF posters had the word SCUM graffitied in red on the posters. Then I also noticed RIC in the same red graffiti scrawled on a few Leo Varadkar posters.

A clear indicator that the person who defaced the posters was most likely a SF 'supporter'.

I thought to myself this is the nub of the problem SF attract a certain 'element' of support that most serious parties do not have. Until SF get rid of this element of it's support (and broaden thier base a bit) they will never be taken seriously in the ROI. Floating voters will not want to be associated with this type of SF supporter who are bubbling under the surface.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I saw more reasons today why people like SF candidates but do not vote SF.
    I was was driving through the Dublin Bay North Constituency and a number of FF posters had the word SCUM graffitied in red on the posters. Then I also noticed RIC in the same red graffiti scrawled on a few Leo Varadkar posters.

A clear indicator that the person who defaced the posters was most likely a SF 'supporter'.

I thought to myself this is the nub of the problem SF attract a certain 'element' of support that most serious parties do not have. Until SF get rid of this element of it's support (and broaden thier base a bit) they will never be taken seriously in the ROI. Floating voters will not want to be associated with this type of SF supporter who are bubbling under the surface.

Or Irish? Sinn Fein don't own Irish history or feeling. They ain't that influential. My money's on Coveney ;)
    Complaint to gardaí over Feighan role in Roscommon scuffle
    An allegation of assault by Fine Gael TD Frank Feighan has been reported to gardaí following a scuffle in Co Roscommon on Friday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/complaint-to-garda%C3%AD-over-feighan-role-in-roscommon-scuffle-1.1944260

A little on point graffiti might be too low key for FG.

Or Irish? Sinn Fein don't own Irish history or feeling. They ain't that influential. My money's on Coveney ;)

Well I would say it is bit too coincidental. If you were going to profile a likely person, to deface those posters it would be 'the stereotypical Dublin SF supporter' in my opinion. Which might say a lot about me, but it also says something about the perception problem SF have.

I think Coveney's hand writing would be neat and tidy? So I would rule him out.

Well I would say it is bit too coincidental. If you were going to profile a likely person, to deface those posters it would be 'the stereotypical Dublin SF supporter' in my opinion. Which might say a lot about me, but it also says something about the perception problem SF have.

I think Coveney's hand writing would be neat and tidy? So I would rule him out.

You could well be right, but my point is it was people from all political walks, including FG had issue with the RIC/Tan commemoration, and as for FF, well...

You could well be right, but my point is it was people from all political walks, including FG had issue with the RIC/Tan commemoration, and as for FF, well...

It could have been Catherine Noone because she is running in the Dublin Bay North constituency - she might not have known how to spell autistic?

The standard Sinn Fein response is to refer to some incident in the past where they were "oppressed" or the "other side" was equally bad or worse in order to justify or defend whatever latest accusation has been made against them.

This is the 2020 election campaign, this was something done by republican sympathisers. I don't know if they were Sinn Fein or Aontu supporters, the ones doing it to Joan Burton in Dublin West look like Aontu supporters given the type of graffitti.

Either way, if you are not condemning it, you are excusing it or condoning it.

For me, it is a sign of the way political discussion is going that we have these types of graffitti actions and they should be condemned, no matter the source. It says something when others cannot bring themselves to condemn an incident like this.

The standard Sinn Fein response is to refer to some incident in the past where they were "oppressed" or the "other side" was equally bad or worse in order to justify or defend whatever latest accusation has been made against them.

This is the 2020 election campaign, this was something done by republican sympathisers. I don't know if they were Sinn Fein or Aontu supporters, the ones doing it to Joan Burton in Dublin West look like Aontu supporters given the type of graffitti.

Either way, if you are not condemning it, you are excusing it or condoning it.

For me, it is a sign of the way political discussion is going that we have these types of graffitti actions and they should be condemned, no matter the source. It says something when others cannot bring themselves to condemn an incident like this.

I don't care as much about what SF think than you seemingly do.

Allegedly. Even the poster didn't use the same conviction you are. Might have been a historical society miffed at Charlie Tan-again?

Yeah, I'm okay with it. Put me down for agreeing with the sentiment, but not condoning the vandalism.

Yeah, like calling opponents 'nutters' or party leaders 'autistic' or supporters of certain parties 'bone idle wasters'. But go on, the graffiti...
    By the way I missed your outrage posts on the above. Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I don't think I've ever disliked anyone or anything to that extent that I felt the need to spend all day, every day, for several weeks, on an internet forum engaging in mud slinging contests, discussion, subterfuge, debate. It's very odd behaviour.

Can anyone care to explain the desire/rationale behind this type of behaviour?

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever disliked anyone or anything to that extent that I felt the need to spend all day, every day, for several weeks, on an internet forum engaging in mud slinging contests, discussion, subterfuge, debate. It's very odd behaviour.

It is tiresome. Be nice to keep it country and just chat but some folk like to twist and attack all day long so one needs call out the bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It is tiresome. Be nice to keep it country and just chat but some folk like to twist and attack all day long so one needs call out the bull****.

Pot, meet kettle!

Pot, meet kettle!

Good input as always JF, putting yourself in the mix as described ;)

I like the Provisional IRA but not latte liberals in Sinn Fein. Aontu is our only hope. Fianna Fail with De Valera-esque would be very welcome.

Some millionaire English schizophrenic fella had a soft spot for SF in fairness.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mary-lou-mcdonald-wont-commit-to-giving-to-charity-any-of-47m-gifted-to-sinn-fein-by-ill-man-38777266.html

Maybe the times they are a changing.....not thier usual demographic.

Whelo79 wrote: »

The top two posters by a long distance in a thread about why people are not voting for Sinn Fein are the biggest kneejerk defenders of Sinn Fein on these boards, and neither of them support the party!!!!!

One of them is only voting for them for the first time!!

The top two posters by a long distance in a thread about why people are not voting for Sinn Fein are the biggest kneejerk defenders of Sinn Fein on these boards, and neither of them support the party!!!!!

One of them is only voting for them for the first time!!

Way to go, using a post lamenting the posting quality and use of tit for tat comments to score points ;)

Only you can take a post lamenting the posting quality and use of tit for tat comments and use it to score points ;)

You did it again Matt, predicted after the event the tone and tenor of your own response!

You did it again Matt, predicted after the event the tone and tenor of your own response!

Comrade, I stand by both those posts and I'm not sure what the burn is to be honest. I hope you didn't tip over your entire bowl of jelly and ice cream with the excitement.

Comrade, I stand by both those posts and I'm not sure what the burn is to be honest. I hope you didn't tip over your entire bowl of jelly and ice cream with the excitement.

'Comrade' is subtle SF code for 'step back and watch yourself I think?' :rolleyes:

'Comrade' is subtle SF code for step back and watch yourself I think? :rolleyes:

No it's code for me trying to be hilarious, chief.
    ..up the 'RA..oops..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Some millionaire English schizophrenic fella had a soft spot for SF in fairness.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mary-lou-mcdonald-wont-commit-to-giving-to-charity-any-of-47m-gifted-to-sinn-fein-by-ill-man-38777266.html

Maybe the times they are a changing.....not thier usual demographic.

Schizophrenics?

Advertisement