Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swimming related questions .

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

peter kern wrote: »
    griffin100 wrote: »

Could you link that study with chlorine as this in contradictory to everything I have seen so far

As for the German pool guidlines in theory you can still have 10 people over 2 lines which is not so bad. I think so far the German rules and the American to have people resting at 2 sides and the middle makes most sense
    or make the German model and mark the pool with lines so swimmers have there own rest segment. At the end of the day it will bold down to the old phas that if you have to write a session down its too difficult
    and there is nothing wrong with 30 x100s

Overall I think one thing we will see is more facemasks (not in pool ...) I guess overall the evidence seems to go towards that they help to reduce the spread of virus, I have tried it for running and cycling and it dosnt bother me. I mean most proper cyclists employ this technique in the winter already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Swim Ireland had a webinar this evening for swim club committees (couldn't view it myself, and its focus was on kids clubs) but some key points are this is uncharted territory and things will change depending on how first phases go. Social distancing within lanes is the main thing, and no changing rooms will be open. Less swimmers per lane (and less still for younger swimmers who might not understand social distancing), and clubs will need to appoint a Covid officer.

Not a lot there that is Tri/Masters specific, but you can read between the lines and see that whatever we had before in swim training is likely to get a lot more restrictive.

Thinks will change a bit and I guess the big change will be it will be very hard to integrate outliersin the sessionn that are either to slow or too fast.
    at same time sars 1 in Asia did not change live too much afterwards I think the one main change was that you saw so many Asian as with face masks in europe .
    I guess this is likely a more serious pandemic at the same it's not the first in the world and live has always returned to normal. So I would not overreact too much as even in my lifetime I have heard so often the world will never be the same.... And if it changes human s do adapt to.
    Just look at pics from the national congress in China at the moment 1000plus people in a room with 50 cm distance.
    dosnt look like a big change to me apart from everybody is wearing a mask or do we stop driving in europe because of pollution...

The other thing is world wide pollution kills more people every year than this pandemic and we don't do too much about it as at then end it's about money makes the world go round ....
    at the end there is to many people on this planet already but the world functions on growth. I guess this is the real problem not a virus which is more a by product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

We'll all have super core workouts from climbing out of the pool at each wall ;)

I guess coaches will introduce more deck work as part of their sessions, this could help rotate the amount of swimmers in the lane at a given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I'm thinking this might be a good time to move all my swimming to the open water. I know this is not convenient for everyone but does anyone train exclusively in open water?
    To be honest training in pool never seems that specific to doing triathlons or aquathons , for me when I hop in open water it feels like a different sport.
    There are people that swim year round in the sea without a wetsuit , if I'm well kitted out neoprene hat , gloves wetsuit for very cold is there any negatives to moving all my training to sea?
    My thinking is 20 mins in sea be more beneficial to an hour in pool as it's more specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

new2tri19 wrote: »
    I'm thinking ...

You do a lot of thinking about your swimming- love to see this, and personally I was at my fastest, and learned the most, when I was (over)thinking about my swimming. Nothing wrong with that! :D

But sometimes we need to underthink things- at the moment we only have the option of OW (those lucky enough to be within 5km), so just go for it and embrace it. There are lots that only swim OW, lots that do both, lots that only swim indoors... there are things that suit pool swimming (getting to reset your stroke during a quick wall rest, getting defined conditions etc) and things that suit OW swimming (better experience, challenging conditions...) and a good triathlete will do both where possible.

No point in comparing the two benefit wise- at the moment you can only do OW so go for it... most Masters groups would be winding up pool swimming now anyway and moving to the OW for the summer- if you are lucky enough to live within striking distance of the OW, there are no negatives to moving all your training there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

You do a lot of thinking about your swimming- love to see this, and personally I was at my fastest, and learned the most, when I was (over)thinking about my swimming. Nothing wrong with that! :D

But sometimes we need to underthink things- at the moment we only have the option of OW (those lucky enough to be within 5km), so just go for it and embrace it. There are lots that only swim OW, lots that do both, lots that only swim indoors... there are things that suit pool swimming (getting to reset your stroke during a quick wall rest, getting defined conditions etc) and things that suit OW swimming (better experience, challenging conditions...) and a good triathlete will do both where possible.

No point in comparing the two benefit wise- at the moment you can only do OW so go for it... most Masters groups would be winding up pool swimming now anyway and moving to the OW for the summer- if you are lucky enough to live within striking distance of the OW, there are no negatives to moving all your training there now.

Well yeah I probably over think things but I have t be realistic I swam maybe 300 thousand meters in the pool in the last year and still got to open water and it feels like a different sport. So adjustments have to be made , my Moto of training is always to make the uncomfortable comfortable , if I can't want to hold 300watts on the bike I'll keep at it till 300watts feels easy.
    I want to go to an open water race and be looking at horrendous conditions that don't phase me but see others petrified getting in. The only way I'm going to achieve this is by constantly putting myself in the open water.
    The pool is fine I was swimming 1:30-1:40 per 100 and I want to recreate that now in all conditions in open water.
    Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

With pools still closed, and lucky enough to live close to the coast I have started swimming in the sea the last couple of weeks.

I can hop in every time, and just swim for distance, but thinking it might be more constructive to have 1 or 2 focussed sea swims, and then 1 longer one each week.

What do you think - Are there any specific training drills that you guys are doing in the sea - or what do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Just kick starting this thread

I've been away from swimming for a number of years now. I was never a strong swimmer, but at one stage could plod my way to a mile in the pool. I had promised myself that I would start working on my swimming and get some one on one coaching once lock down eased and pools re-opened. Fed up of waiting I bought a decent wet suit and have started open water swimming and am really enjoying it.

I'm looking for some guidance:
    Any good tips or resources for a novice to progress open water?
    Does anyone know of anyone who would take on some open water swim coaching, or alternative of any swim groups that I could join (covid compliant)?

Easiest spots for me would be Killiney, Shankill, Bray, but would go as far as Seapoint or Greystones.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Glenalbyn masters swim in the Killiney area - http://www.glenalbynmasters.com/glenalbynmasters/

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

greystones have a group that swim on tuesday and thursday. usually at 7 in the evening but i think now its there is a few that go out most days

• Advertisement
Advertisement