Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two new Trek Series coming. What do you want?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Is hell on wheels any good ?

It is actually quiet good yes although I never seen it all. Its schedule was all over the place and it was also on late. I seen up to series 3 I think. Not even sure how long it went on for.

Colm Meaney is very good in it and so is Anson Mount.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Is hell on wheels any good ?

Season one was very good... found season two heavy going.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TNG type show, exploring new worlds, with a ship that has Klingons. But no humans. Klingon captain. Possibly Romulans for the craic.

Ms

the_syco wrote: »
    TNG type show, exploring new worlds, with a ship that has Klingons. But no humans. Klingon captain. Possibly Romulans for the craic.

Somehow I don,t think a Klingon Captain in Starfleet or not would care to much about exploring new worlds unless he was raised on Earth or by Humans. Oh wait that has been done twice. Not putting down your idea just saying maybe the Klingon would be better at tactical ''I know done before'' or a the commander maybe. How about a Bolian Captain, Klingon Commander a Romulan ops or nav officer, a Cardassian science officer a Bajoran engineer and an Andoran Doctor.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AMKC wrote: »
    Oh wait that has been done twice. Not putting down your idea just saying maybe the Klingon would be better at tactical ''I know done before'' or a the commander maybe.
    In the Star Trek Universe, boldly killing where Kahless has not killed before. The Romulans would be their "voice of reason".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pike
    Redshirts
    Garak

As a kid I was a big fan of the Starfleet Academy series of books. Each major TNG character got usually 2 books each.

I'd like to see something similar. You could do one off episodes, a different character each week. No set time line. If I remember correctly, the first book was about Worf, while Book 9 was Picard, obviously set about 20-30 years earlier than the Worf book.

Ms

A series set on the USS Stargazer with a young Picard in Command. That would be cool.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

A series set on the USS Stargazer with a young Picard in Command. That would be cool.

Good shout. I enjoyed the Lost Era novels and Stargazer ones, better than most Trek novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

A prequel to Enterprise. Showing ww3, first contact and everything leading up to Enterprise..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't think another prequel could ever really work. A story here and there absolutely could *cough* anthology series *cough* but a years long series would be far too constrained by established events.

Ms

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Good shout. I enjoyed the Lost Era novels and Stargazer ones, better than most Trek novels.

Would they/could they work as a series? Dame it I want a Stargazer series. How cool would it be. The Enterprise around that era would either be an Excelsior or Ambassader class. Would hoping for the latter myself. I want to see a youg Picard and his Stargazer crew.
    Evade wrote: »
    I don't think another prequel could ever really work. A story here and there absolutely could *cough* anthology series *cough* but a years long series would be far too constrained by established events.

I think a Pike series one could work and also that a Stargazer series could work. Imagine all the Miranda, Constituation, Excelsior class ships, of the time maybe even Ambassador class ships that we would get to see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Would they/could they work as a series?

Lost Era - would have to be an anthology series, each book had a different species\main character focus.
    Would probably be very expensive as limited re-use of sets etc?

I remember Serpent Among the Ruins (with Enterprise B Captain John Harriman) & The Art of the Impossible (Klingon-Cardassian Betraka Nebula incident) as stand outs from the novel series.

The 'Lost Era' is the period between ST6 and Encounter at Farpoint:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Lost_Era

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

I think a Pike series one could work and also that a Stargazer series could work. Imagine all the Miranda, Constituation, Excelsior class ships, of the time maybe even Ambassador class ships that we would get to see.
    I'm all for seeing some of my old favourites but outside of a reboot the past is tapped out for enough material to support a series, moving forward is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Looks like the Captain Pike show is moving forward!

Well rumour has it....

https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/02/04/rumor-captain-pike-star-trek-spinoff-series-moving-forward/

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So apparently there are a further two live action series coming. NOT counting Picard and Section 31. So what do you wanna see? Any why?

[More Trek]

(And please leave the "Whatever Sux" conversation at the door.)

I don’t want section 31 anywhere near them.

I’d like one on the Romulan-Federation war. And one on what the Romulans were up to before they showed up in TNG.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I would be up for a Star Fleet Academy and a non federation one maybe a Klingon or Romulan one. A short Borg mini series be good.

I am not a hardcore fan but why do people want a Pike series so much. I get he has been looked over twice in relation to Enterprise series but would it not be more of the Enterprise sameness. A feature film sure but a series would be been there done that. Especially with the last series

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Inviere

I am not a hardcore fan but why do people want a Pike series so much. I get he has been looked over twice in relation to Enterprise series but would it not be more of the Enterprise sameness. A feature film sure but a series would be been there done that. Especially with the last series

Anson Mount does a fantastic job of portraying him, has a good screen presence, and seeing him play Pike gives the impression there's something there worth exploring. There's probably some interesting pre-Kirk era lore to expand upon which the Enterprise could be part of, but as you suggest, they'd need to be mindful of where the show would be heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Inviere wrote: »
    Anson Mount does a fantastic job of portraying him, has a good screen presence, and seeing him play Pike gives the impression there's something there worth exploring. There's probably some interesting pre-Kirk era lore to expand upon which the Enterprise could be part of, but as you suggest, they'd need to be mindful of where the show would be heading.

That be my conern

I don’t see the point to be honest. TOS was based on a 5 year mission exploring deep space. What the enterprise did before that isn’t really interesting, it was all the discovering that made it great.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Brian? wrote: »
    I don’t see the point to be honest. TOS was based on a 5 year mission exploring deep space. What the enterprise did before that isn’t really interesting, it was all the discovering that made it great.

For all we know Pikes mission discovered plenty of new worlds, races, etc

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The one mission of his we do know about was ridiculously interesting ending up with a no fly zone around a planet of pulsing brain people... I'm in!

What the enterprise did before that isn’t really interesting

Well, it doesn't seem interesting because it hasn't been written yet...outside of a few canon references to certain things (and some non canon book related stuff which is almost universally crap). I think there's huge scope for a two or three season (short season) show there to cover a considerable array of in-universe content.

The big seller is Mount makes a great Captain to engage viewers, so with some clever writing, I feel there's definite potential there. Lord knows I'm as sick of prequels as the next person, but Mount might win me over....it'd all come down to the writing. There's some big lessons to be learned from Discovery, so who knows.

We’ve already had 4 series doing that. The Original Series, TNG, Voyager and Enterprise. With diminishing returns.

I liked the Pike in Discovery, but you can’t build a whole series around someone being charismatic. Ultimately we know what happened to them all. Pike ends up in a wheel chair thing, Spock becomes first officer of Kirk. Where’s the suspense if they’re in danger?

I want a new series, with new characters who can be put in danger and killed occasionally. One of the big problems with Discovery is that the main characters were never in actual peril.

The same goes for most of Star Trek I suppose. It’s ultra rare that anyone is actually killed off. Tasha and Judzea (sp?) Dax are the only 2 I can think of.

Give me a load of Romulans who try to infiltrate the Borg or a few Klingon pacifists.

I’d still be happy with Pike as long as section 31 weren’t in it. Have I mentioned I hate them?

they/them/theirs

Ultimately we know what happened to them all.

Unfortunately yeah, that's the thing about prequels...you're only really exploring within the confines of a predetermined end result. There are some adventures to be had in between landmark events, but yeah, it's not quite the same is it. There's a problematic trend of prequel focused ideas in Star Trek since, well, Enterprise really...so I don't see that mold breaking any time soon.

However, given what I've seen of Star Trek recently, a Pike show could be an optimistic return to form (end result aside). I'll take it, given the options.
    I’d still be happy with Pike as long as section 31 weren’t in it. Have I mentioned I hate them?

You mean you don't like the super shadowy non-existent intelligence branch that everybody knows about? Same, the concept has been absolutely butchered. DS9 nailed it, heck, even Enterprise got it right a century before Discovery, but it's awful tripe now.

Unfortunately yeah, that's the thing about prequels...you're only really exploring within the confines of a predetermined end result. There are some adventures to be had in between landmark events, but yeah, it's not quite the same is it. There's a problematic trend of prequel focused ideas in Star Trek since, well, Enterprise really...so I don't see that mold breaking any time soon.

However, given what I've seen of Star Trek recently, a Pike show could be an optimistic return to form (end result aside). I'll take it, given the options.

There's an entire universe of options. It'd be such a pity to play safe.

You mean you don't like the super shadowy non-existent intelligence branch that everybody knows about? Same, the concept has been absolutely butchered. DS9 nailed it, heck, even Enterprise got it right a century before Discovery, but it's awful tripe now.

DS9 got them bang on. It was a new concept that made sense. To have them operating entire fleets in Disco was pure ridiculous.

they/them/theirs

There's an entire universe of options. It'd be such a pity to play safe.

I can only guess that there's a big fear of a post-Voyager time, in that Voyager brought back enough tech to fundamentally change Star Trek as we know/knew it. With the advent of Picard, hopefully studios and writers start flexing their creativity somewhat, and indeed exploring that universe of options. In a sense though, things that hamper prequels (like recycling the 'exploring strange new worlds concept' also affects sequels. I always felt Star Trek was really at its best when it was exploring the human condition, warp drive and phasers are only a vehicle for a real exploration.
    DS9 got them bang on. It was a new concept that made sense. To have them operating entire fleets in Disco was pure ridiculous.

Compounded then with the black comm badges, and everyone knowing about Section 31...ridiculous. The first time we seen them in-timeline was in Enterprise, and they were very much like the DS9 organisation, just a little more primitive, as it should be. Discovery comes along then & basically gave us the Starfleet version of the Obsidian Order/Tal Shiar. Those organisations worked because of a culture of state controlled media & military...it's a bust for the Federation though, and needs to be literally cloaked in secrecy because it openly goes against the founding principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I love hated this poll, as there were so many good options. Id have them all please.

If I was to pick two, Pike would be the safe bet as Anson Mont was excellent. For the other id love to see it maybe from the perspective of a non-federation species.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Anything as long as hold to the original - more or less self contained episodes. And boldly going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

I was disappointed that this project never got off the ground, always thought it could have been very interesting.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Federation

Advertisement