Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop hares destroying your Garden

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not looking for or interested in bias.

Says the guy who waded into a gardening forum with a shotgun :)

Whether it was unwitting or not you have found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

elperello wrote: »
    Says the guy who waded into a gardening forum with a shotgun :)

Whether it was unwitting or not you have found it.

The OP asked a question, I answered it.

Don't shoot the messenger.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The OP asked a question, I answered it.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Answers like yours only lead to more questions.

You are ok my guns are locked in the safe :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

elperello wrote: »
    Answers like yours only lead to more questions.

You are ok my guns are locked in the safe :).

Only if you don't understand the answer.

But that's cool, this is a discussion forum.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Zzippy wrote:
    If your dogs are killing native wildlife they should never be allowed off the lead. First time I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, but if you let it happen again tbh you shouldn't be allowed keep a dog. That's irresponsible and frankly idiotic. And I'm struggling to remain civil here.

Cool yourself zip. Dogs have run of garden. Hares enter, then nature takes its course. It was not pleasant to see and was over in seconds, no stopping them. Struggle on zzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In similar vein. hares stay away here as my cats are around. Hares are intelligent as you rightly say.
    macraignil wrote: »
    Just to clarify my post mentioning having dogs was not a suggestion to the opening poster that it was a good idea to "set dogs on a hare". No idea where the suggestion of trampling on a hare is coming from. I agree most people probably would not like to do these things to a wild animal and as mentioned already simple tree guards seemed to work well for me. The hare is an intelligent animal and since there have been dogs in our garden it's probably the smell of a potential predator keeps them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭VirginiaB

I'm in the US so this may not be available in Ireland but worth checking. I use a product called Liquid Fence. It is made of natural products, does not harm animals and works brilliantly. We have a terrible deer problem in the eastern US. The population has exploded in the last 30 years or so. They can destroy a garden in a night. But they can't stand the smell of Liquid Fence. It works against rabbits too so worth a try if you can get it there. Humans can't smell it except during and a few hours after application.

It's a spray and does have to be renewed regularly, depending on the amount of rainfall. If not Liquid Fence, maybe you can get a similar product.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

VirginiaB wrote:
    the amount of rainfall.

We're usually good for a drop

VirginiaB wrote: »
    I'm in the US so this may not be available in Ireland but worth checking. I use a product called Liquid Fence. It is made of natural products, does not harm animals and works brilliantly. We have a terrible deer problem in the eastern US. The population has exploded in the last 30 years or so. They can destroy a garden in a night. But they can't stand the smell of Liquid Fence. It works against rabbits too so worth a try if you can get it there. Humans can't smell it except during and a few hours after application.

It's a spray and does have to be renewed regularly, depending on the amount of rainfall. If not Liquid Fence, maybe you can get a similar product.

Thanks for that.
    I found the website but they don't have a supplier in Europe.
    https://www.liquidfence.com/Products/Deer-and-Rabbit-Control/Deer-And-Rabbit-Concentrate.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭VirginiaB

I wonder if you could look at the ingredients and find something similar. Or email Liquid Fence and tell them they're missing the boat on a marketing opportunity in Ireland and beyond.

And yes I know about the occasional drop of rain in Ireland :) as I've had the pleasure more than once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Speedsie wrote: »
    Oh, I was misinformed so. Used to see them regularly when I worked in Intel many years ago

I remember regularly seeing them boxing on the grass verges in the carpark in the dusk on spring evenings. Fantastic creatures.

Advertisement