Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Xe DG1 - Team Blue (re)enters the GPU market

Options
  • 10-01-2020 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭

Anandtech
    PCGamesN
    4mAtHp3l.jpg

GN sneakily made a benchmark video - poor performance right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have Intel ever made there intentions clear regarding their GPU division? Obviously Intel challenging NVIDIA and AMD is great, but do we know if they're DC-focused, or will they be going after the (high-end) consumer market as well?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I remember the leaks seemed to suggest they wouldn't be going after the high end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I remember Nvidia mentioning the future of high performance computing is GPU's. That springs to mind when I see Intel start working on dedicated GPU's. CPU's are great at some things while GPU's are great at others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Homelander

What am I missing with this DG1. Performance in Destiny 2 looks to be not any better than current gen AMD mobile integrated graphics. Which is fine for a new generation of Intel integrated graphics, it makes sense in the context of showing off new laptops.

But...are they really re-entering the discrete GPU market? Is this supposed to be some sort of promising demo? It does not make any sense based on the demos we have seen, drivers would need to improve about 300% for it to even be a viable $80 card by the time it is released.

In the case of mobile only it's fine, kinda similar to Vega 8 in the Ryzen mobile apus, but like....I don't get the huge deal being made about it, by the time it's released AMD will likely have much faster apu's again. But nice that Intel is catching up, maybe?

Other than Intel improving their mobile integrated graphics, I am not sure what we are supposed to take away from this about desktop space. Even if this card saw 200% performance increase with newer drivers and was $80, it would still just be a GT1030.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't use the above video to mean anything other than "it's working".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think it was LTT that suggested it could potentially work as an "SLI" card with the iGPU in future. Buy a €300 desktop. Decide you want to play MOBAs, add this card for cheap and pool the iGPU and it to hit middle of the road light gaming on a budget.

In any case Intel have done well in two markets: CPUs/Chipsets and SSDs. The latter they don't really make as the NAND isnt theirs. Optane isnt popular even in the DC space (why bother when you have commodity NVME drives). Their networking forays with networking after buying TI's division are a disaster. Graphics have always been hit or miss. Their onboard networking is fine. Mobile they've nothing of note. Intel RAID is used by nobody.

My non scientific opinion is they're awful at portfolio diversification and should stick to dealing with their 10/7nm issues for now. AMD is coming for their lunch (the DC market).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last Intel discrete card was probably the i740? Would be a very strange return

We've had a few false dawns in the integrated apparently catching up over the years - the first GMAs were meant to be a huge step up as were the 3000s and neither actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hop onto the steam survey and check out the first 30 cards by percentage. They are all low to mid(by old standards). 1660/1650, 1050, 750, 580/570. And right now, that sub 200 quid market is empty. While I doubt they saw it, its the perfect time to release something within that 1080p gaming bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,797 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I hear it's ****, unfortunately

But it's Intel, so they'll still sell a million.

The technology promises (Jan 2022 Intel CES):

The reality:

Analysis: Intel is in a strange market position where it probably knows it would be stupid to launch this card in the West which is undergoing a glut of used and new GPUs on the high end from AMD and Nvidia. Also, their performance numbers are underwhelming at first glance. May require system tuning to get the most from the card (eg. going into BIOS to enable the resizable BAR) and, some of their performance (I am guessing) probably leans on their AI deep learning approach learning more.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Isn't this more likely a long term strategy to capture more value from consoles, rather than anything to do with PC gaming?

Like, use PC gaming as a testbed with a view to future generations of Xbox.

I'd wager it's more like Intel seeing the money in GPU compute/servers.

The gaming GPUs are just the dregs left for the masses.

Slightly positive about the A770.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Jon Doe

Intel's problems in the graphics department have always been the drivers... especially if you were on the side of developing graphics code. Let's hope that side of Intel has improved in the meantime...

So a sub-€400 card at their highest, more interesting than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

While I need to wait for independent benchmarks(which I think are due shortly) I have to say I'm probably going to early adopt this. The smaller form factor is a huge plus, I'm sick of these huge cards and ARC looks so slick. Early indications of performance on par with a 3070(which I was looking to get anyway), a good price point and what appears to be an incredible video codec (to help streaming) I think this looks good for me.

Issues appear to be non DX12 games but most of my consistent games are Dx12 anyway so everything so far looking good.

Can't get over the size though, looks great. Hopefully a good supply hits EU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I haven't really been following this release. Will their be AIB cards or just Intel OEM?

AIB cards, same arrangement as AMD/Nvidia.

If you could get your hands on them, I'd imagine a lot are going into "gaming" pre-builds from Dell.

• Advertisement

So final prices of the mid-range cards:

• A770 Limited Edition: 32 Xe-cores/32 Ray-Tracing Units, 2100 MHz GPU, 16Gb GDDR6 17.5Gbps - $349
    • A770: 32 Xe-cores/32 RTUs, 2100 MHz GPU, 8Gb GDDR6 17.5Gbps - $329
    • A750: 28 Xe-cores/28 RTUs, 2050 MHz GPU, 8GB GDDR6 16Gbps - $289

All 3 Intel cards are 10.5" dual-slot, dual-fan, 225W TBP.

Intel say the 750 is comparable to RTX 3060.

This is the most excited I've been about new cards in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

So that would put the the A750 somewhere between the Rx 6600 and Rx 6600XT. Not the easiest market to compete in at the moment. It would want to be more on the RX 6600xt side of things with reasonable drivers to be viable at that price point I would say.

We'll hope and pray. Excited nonetheless. I really do feel like there's a lot of people rooting for Intel right now so hopefully they can make some sort of a showing and tip away at lower end stuff for a few generations. Not holding my breath though

Interesting how that Acer model has 2x8-pin when the default is 8+6.

Interesting. And was it just me that heard promising news of overclocking on Arc? :)

Choo Choo goes the hype train. Anywho, if the A310 has quicksync with AV1 support, I can see myself picking up one for my plex server.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Review embargo lifted, all the main youtube folks have their benchmarks out. Have only had a chance to do a quick glance but looks promising?

Gamernexus dont seem happy so will need to watch that in full. I'm currently on a RX 5700 so this looked in theory a nice jump for not breaking the bank.

Need these work calls to finish so I can watch the videos in full

*Got to go through some of the final thoughts of a few videos, and they are calling it a Dead on arrival card. RIP. Maybe I need to turn my attention to a RX direct upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

The few reviews I looked at (Paul's hardware, jays2cents) looked very promising for a first attempt, the a770 was mostly better than a 3060 and on par with it in ray tracing, the 6600xt seems better at standard rasterisation but not at ray tracing. Xess also seemed to work quite well. Just wish they priced it even lower to make it a real bargain. Really Interested in the bigger a9xx cards and how they are priced. Great to see some competition.

• Advertisement

I don't believe there are A9xx cards.

Could've been worse. It's in a weird niche were it's architecture seems to scale better than others going from 1080p to 1440p but it doesn't have the horsepower for a res like that I would say

Advertisement