Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prius fuel management question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Back to the op a hybrid provides a small improvement in fuel efficiency compared to a good diesel overall.

The real purpose of a hybrid is to evade the 2030 ban on ice only cars. Expect batteries in every car in the next 5 to 7 years.

You only have to look at bizzare new cars like the mondeo estate where they literally put the batteries in the boot and carpeted over them to see how manufacturers will respond to this in the short term.

Yikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Lantus wrote: »
    Back to the op a hybrid provides a small improvement in fuel efficiency compared to a good diesel overall.

The real purpose of a hybrid is to evade the 2030 ban on ice only cars. Expect batteries in every car in the next 5 to 7 years.

You only have to look at bizzare new cars like the mondeo estate where they literally put the batteries in the boot and carpeted over them to see how manufacturers will respond to this in the short term.

Sure. Prius was already a hybrid the 90s - nobody dreamt about ICE ban then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

grogi wrote: »
    Sight... You might not use electric motor on the motorway (you do though, not as much as in the city), but without it you wouldn't have as effective petrol engine in the first place.

Great - agreed. So, to circle back to my original point:
    SantaCruz wrote: »
    Prius saves fuel in stop-start city driving. The battery is just dead weight most of the time on the motorway. This isn't secret or new knowledge to be fair.

TLDR:

If you want to drive cheaply on a motorway, get a diesel. Most of my driving is city driving, so I have a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Great - agreed. So, to circle back to my original point:

TLDR:

If you want to drive cheaply on a motorway, get a diesel. Most of my driving is city driving, so I have a hybrid.

What's your measured fuel consumption? Not the computer figure, how many Kms to how many litres?

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What's your measured fuel consumption? Not the computer figure, how many Kms to how many litres?
    Markedly worse than my prevous car, a 2 litre diesel BMW e90 (on motorways).

Markedly worse than my prevous car, a 2 litre diesel BMW e90 (on motorways).

Any chance of an aul figure?

Any chance of an aul figure?
    No, sorry - I wouldn't be taking special note of it. I do recall driving 700 kilometres on one occasion on a single tank doing a steady 130kph (not in Ireland). I find travelling Dublin - Cork uses over half the tank in my current car (Lexus).

Sure. Prius was already a hybrid the 90s - nobody dreamt about ICE ban then.

The purpose now. Exempt from the ban they will allow all petrol and diesel cars to continue being sold beyond 2030. Not too much of an imposing deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The current Prius will do around 60 MPG at motorway speeds, they are much more efficient than the 3rd gen described in this thread (a car that was new 11 years ago). The gap in efficiency at higher speeds is gone.

• Advertisement

The current Prius will do around 60 MPG at motorway speeds, they are much more efficient than the 3rd gen described in this thread (a car that was new 11 years ago). The gap in efficiency at higher speeds is gone.

Really? How many Km's to the tank are you getting? You know, fill to the brim etc etc..

I don't have one, I have a 2012 Plug-in. But I know enough gen 4 owners who can get around 60 MPG (4.7 l/100km) at motorway speeds, whereas the gen 3 is closer to 50.

I hate this "how much to a tank" nonsense, the Gen 3 and 4 Prius have different size tanks for example. My previous car had a 70 litre tank, and this one is 45 - it's a pointless comparison between different cars.

Gen 4 Prius - 4.46 l/100km (280 users): https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/439-Prius.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2016&powerunit=2
    Gen 3 Prius - 5.05 l/100km (797 users): https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/439-Prius.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2010&constyear_e=2015&powerunit=2
    Excluding plug-ins in both cases. The gen 4 is a significantly more efficient car.

I don't have one, I have a 2012 Plug-in. But I know enough gen 4 owners who can get around 60 MPG (4.7 l/100km) at motorway speeds, whereas the gen 3 is closer to 50.

I hate this "how much to a tank" nonsense, the Gen 3 and 4 Prius have different size tanks for example. My previous car had a 70 litre tank, and this one is 45 - it's a pointless comparison between different cars.

Gen 4 Prius - 4.46 l/100km (280 users): https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/439-Prius.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2016&powerunit=2
    Gen 3 Prius - 5.05 l/100km (797 users): https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/439-Prius.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2010&constyear_e=2015&powerunit=2
    Excluding plug-ins in both cases. The gen 4 is a significantly more efficient car.

I'm not asking how much to a tank I'm asking for a proper real world actual fuel consumption figure that you get. It isn't too hard to do. I'm filling my car today as it's heading into the red, it will have slightly over 1200km done and it'll probably take around 60 to 63 litres to fill. If you did the same it would help others on here.

Really? How many Km's to the tank are you getting? You know, fill to the brim etc etc..
    I'm not asking how much to a tank

Seriously?

Seriously?

I'm asking for a proper fuel consumption figure, fill to fill is the most accurate method, actual tank size is irrelevant.

I'm asking for a proper fuel consumption figure, fill to fill is the most accurate method, actual tank size is irrelevant.

On the condition it is the same pump. Different pump will stop pumping at different levels...

I'm not asking how much to a tank I'm asking for a proper real world actual fuel consumption figure that you get. It isn't too hard to do. I'm filling my car today as it's heading into the red, it will have slightly over 1200km done and it'll probably take around 60 to 63 litres to fill. If you did the same it would help others on here.

I provided real world actual fuel consumption figures of hundreds of users of the relevant cars. As I said, I have a Plug-in, not a Gen 4 Prius. And I do record my consumption, but it's not that relevant here: https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/756704.html

So a good diesel then.

A base prius is 34k and with a 5k deposit is 500 a month new. Luxury obviously a lot more.

A diesel octavia is 5k cheaper. You will never save enough fuel to make it compete economically.

So if your in the market for a 35k to 40k car as your regular spend then fine and enjoy the prius as a nice car which it is.

But please don't claim purchase to save money. Other cars will do that better.

People trying to save money can't afford a 30k plus car....

I don't see anyone buying new cars in this thread, so not sure how that's relevant...

On the condition it is the same pump. Different pump will stop pumping at different levels...

AHH will ya stop... I got 1201km to €84 @ 1.35 per litre 62.2 litres. 5.2L/100, 54 mpg in old money. Now that wasn't difficult was it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement