Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Town or Sligo City

Options
  • 09-01-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭

Sligo Town is an odd place - for some reason it feels to me like a tiny city (or part of a city) rather than a country town.
    I mean that in both good and bad ways.

For example there are cool and funky Cafes and bookshops, the theatre, the Model etc. BUT I wouldn't be surprised if there are alot of crimes or more inequality than you'd expect.

Don't get me wrong I love Sligo (there's no BUT I think Sligo town is awesome!)

Anyone else feel the same way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's still a town. Most of our cities would be considered towns in other countries and villages in a few. Even Dublin is a tiny city by international standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

All locals call it a town and are embarrassed by the "City" in street signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jack Barlowe

its a great location and town - one of the most beautifully sited in Ireland and well placed geographically to be the leading urban centre in the NW. Its nicely situated equidistant between Donegal , Mayo and the midland and border counties. But the town itself and its amenity offering is just too small at present relative to its surroundings. Wish we had a proper sized beautiful City on the Atlantic Coast like a Porto or Bordeaux. they are blessed with much better weather though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

its a great location and town - one of the most beautifully sited in Ireland and well placed geographically to be the leading urban centre in the NW. Its nicely situated equidistant between Donegal , Mayo and the midland and border counties. But the town itself and its amenity offering is just too small at present relative to its surroundings. Wish we had a proper sized beautiful City on the Atlantic Coast like a Porto or Bordeaux. they are blessed with much better weather though

Great location as mentioned above - not forgetting Knock Airport an hour away.
    My suggestions to make Sligo bigger and better:
    - More knowledge jobs to keep college graduates in Sligo and attract people to work and live in Sligo
    - Build more new houses
    - Improved transport links - extend M4 further to Sligo, improve rail service (shorter journey times from Dublin to Sligo)
    - Tourism wise there's not much to do in Sligo town itself on a rainy day - Niland Gallery and a few other small bits but for example the museum is very poor. I remember someone suggesting turning the town hall into a museum - do a proper job on it like other major towns have.

I'm sure there's loads of other better suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

marvin80 wrote: »
    Great location as mentioned above - not forgetting Knock Airport an hour away.
    My suggestions to make Sligo bigger and better:
    - More knowledge jobs to keep college graduates in Sligo and attract people to work and live in Sligo
    - Build more new houses
    - Improved transport links - extend M4 further to Sligo, improve rail service (shorter journey times from Dublin to Sligo)
    - Tourism wise there's not much to do in Sligo town itself on a rainy day - Niland Gallery and a few other small bits but for example the museum is very poor. I remember someone suggesting turning the town hall into a museum - do a proper job on it like other major towns have.

I'm sure there's loads of other better suggestions!

For the size of the place it's actually amazing. It has a good theatre , two art galleries , funky bookshops and then there's the nature. Them as likes cheap and cheerful can head up to Bundoran for a break from culture.

The theatre and the model are actually innovative as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 flyaway99

Sligo is a joke - no way of getting in or out of it for a night out at the weekend if you live outside it - you cant cycle cos you would be run over 10 mins out the road - anyway theres no music or bands come to Sligo - its a dead hole - nothing in it, Nobody ever talks to you, nobody wants to know you if they didnt pass their confirmation with you. Is GAA and shite music. But the scenery makes up for that for me - fcuk stuck up people who needs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Unnikrishnan Madhavan

Hi does anyone know how safe is Knocknaganny Sligo? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Have to say I agree with most of that! Its only when you go elsewhere particularly the north that you can notice differences like when shopping,the staff in shops are friendly and courteous in comparison to Sligo. A town like Enniskillen seems to be a better shopping experience too,Sligo is all coffee shops and rip off prices! If you are not into gaa you are ignored as well,I mean a sport that is not even international!

Check out the price of coal for instance, 20 kg smokeless coal for €9.50 in Belcoo, the same bag here is €18.00

Advertisement