Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council rent arrears

Options
  • 08-01-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

To those who advocate the need to increase the numbers of social houses what would you do in respect of the following.

In my view if you are in arrears because your income has increased and the tenant has not advised the council then the tenant should be fined and given a max of one year to discharge the arrears.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-5-4956180-Jan2020/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

To those who advocate the need to increase the numbers of social houses what would you do in respect of the following.

Build more social housing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Provide your own suggestion or this is just link dumping

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

nail on the head! We could build a lot more social housing, if those in it, actually paid a REASONABLE rent, not the pittance that they do and secondly, deduct any arrears at source, plus interest!

These social housing tenants pay no LPT, nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭enricoh

Average weekly rent for a council house in Dublin is e69 a week!
    If I've any kids turning 18 stick them on the housing list, best pressy ever!

also, you would now be a lunatic to be a young woman of a certain background, and not pop out a kid or two and there is a million euro plus windfall! except you have zero debt, total security! no need to save for a deposit, pay LPT!

This is the system those morons in power have created, hard working people cannot afford to live in areas they want or have to make massive sacrifices to do so or just emigrate!

Given this reality, I think its safe to say the current situation is obscene. DLRCC have rented an entire apartment block from a cuckoo fund for 25 years at obscene cost. The market rent for some of them, could be nearly 3k for a 3 bed!

Meanwhile the taxpayer fools in blocks within spitting distance, can you imagine what they would need to earn BEFORE tax to pay for the same apartment!

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

L1011 wrote: »

In fairness I am trying to encourage posters to offer different views to see how people feel about those who do not pay their full rent despite the fact it is heavily subsidized.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

60% of tenants are in arrears. That is madness.

Build more social housing.

So how does this deal with the culture of rent arrears?

is it though, what about when there is no consequence?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

It's easy to sort. The government needs to put in place legislation that allows all government and local authorities the power to pursue money owed through the courts and secure the debt by means of attachment of earnings.

All local authorities should have the ability to secure this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Quite simple really deduct rent at source,cuts not rocket science. Oh and yes we need to build more social housing. Low paid workers and frontline workers need homes too.

It's easy to sort. The government needs to put in place legislation that allows all government and local authorities the power to pursue money owed through the courts and secure the debt by means of attachment of earnings.

This legislation already exists. No politician will use it. Remember a lot of councilors sit on local authority boards.

Quite simple really deduct rent at source,cuts not rocket science. Oh and yes we need to build more social housing. Low paid workers and frontline workers need homes too.

I agree with you but nobody is willing to do it. Yet we have those on the left who seem to not have an issue with non payment of arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That is why they are happy for the private sector to house social tenants.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In fairness I am trying to encourage posters to offer different views to see how people feel about those who do not pay their full rent despite the fact it is heavily subsidized.

Without giving any view yourself, which is still considered linkdumping.

I can see the point being made by the poster. Why can't you?

I can see the point being made by the poster. Why can't you?

Attempting a veiled point does not satisfy the requirements here.

They need to give their suggestion, or they are just link dumping.

Sorry, but it isn't so subtle as to be beyond the comprehension of most people.
    Both the point and their opinion of same is easily divined. Stop treating contributors like we are children and let the discussion progress.

Sorry, but it isn't so subtle as to be beyond the comprehension of most people.
    Both the point and their opinion of same is easily divined. Stop treating contributors like we are children and let the discussion progress.

You're completely missing the point here

Its not allowed - anywhere on boards - to link dump and not contribute to the discussion. That is what the opening post is, veiling point or not. The OP can very easily give their own suggestion; if they have one.

If you want to do a "this is a disgrace!" style post for a link and go no further in your contribution, that's what your Twitter account is for.

I'd normally say "we'll agree to disagree" but you are going to continue stymying free and open discussion so long as you maintain your viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭DubCount

This is why HAP is so popular with Local Authorities !!

Individual contributions should be deducted at source, as a deduction from welfare payments or wages.
    No chance of non-payment if its done that way.

I'd normally say "we'll agree to disagree" but you are going to continue stymying free and open discussion so long as you maintain your viewpoint.

You are still, wildly and I suspect wilfully, missing the point.

The OP has not made a suggestion relating to what they claim they want to discuss, but is instead making veiled political points about it instead. That's not even discussion to begin with.

You're completely missing the point here

Its not allowed - anywhere on boards - to link dump and not contribute to the discussion. That is what the opening post is, veiling point or not. The OP can very easily give their own suggestion; if they have one.

If you want to do a "this is a disgrace!" style post for a link and go no further in your contribution, that's what your Twitter account is for.

I have offered my viewpoint in my post at 8.20. I find it a bit unfair that one moderator has an issue with my original post where as another moderator is happy to engage in the thread.

You are still, wildly and I suspect wilfully, missing the point.

The OP has not made a suggestion relating to what they claim they want to discuss, but is instead making veiled political points about it instead. That's not even discussion to begin with.
    now you are reading something in to it which isn't there. Which Party would admit that their mandate comes from the sponger element of society.

I have offered my viewpoint in my post at 8.20. I find it a bit unfair that one moderator has an issue with my original post where as another moderator is happy to engage in the thread.

a: nothing is being posted as a moderation instruction here
    b: the other moderator that has posted doesn't moderate this forum!

If your suggestion is that they bring in automatic attachment orders, you can make that more clearly and should do so by editing it in to your opening post so that those coming on to the thread can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Sure why pay your rent now. Various RTE 'celebrities' don't make much effort to pay mortgages, so this is just follow the leader. It was inevitable. It's openly, officially endorsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This legislation already exists. No politician will use it. Remember a lot of councilors sit on local authority boards.

It "exists".

If you're working they can take say €100/week until your debt is paid. If you're on a DSFW payment they can take €1-2/week. Youll die before paying anything off. The rest of your dole is protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I agree with you but nobody is willing to do it. Yet we have those on the left who seem to not have an issue with non payment of arrears.
    By the left do you mean FG/Independents which make up the present government? Who is in a position to tackle this.

now you are reading something in to it which isn't there. Which Party would admit that their mandate comes from the sponger element of society.

There is a complaint about "those on the left" in post 14 after one about the inactions of councillors in post 13. That's using the thread to make a political point.

• Advertisement

a: nothing is being posted as a moderation instruction here
    b: the other moderator that has posted doesn't moderate this forum!

If your suggestion is that they bring in automatic attachment orders, you can make that more clearly and should do so by editing it in to your opening post so that those coming on to the thread can find it.

I have amended my original post as you suggested.

Advertisement