Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falling apart gives you a reason to build something new.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Fri
    AM Yoga
    PM 1 mile up, 8 mile steady, 1 mile cooldown
    Daily Challenge: N/A

Legs feeling more human after the two easy days though wind was a killer for this one so I knew was gonna have to play this a little smart so used a loop of approx 1.5 miles for this one. A gradual small incline over 800m was the price to pay for a bit of shelter from the headwind as this was not supposed to be a hard session by any stretch of the imagination. Thankfully this was exactly that I was cruising for most of it, a little pinch of fatigue coming in the last mile or two but nothing significant. Surprised to average 6.43 pace for the entire thing given hoe controlled it felt but probably acts as a good reminder to focus on effort over pace as probably worked a little too hard on consecutive sessions last weekend between hills for the MP tempo and the wind for the progression.

Less is more (in terms of intensity anyway) is something I am appreciating more this time round with training. With control at pace being better than working harder for a better pace.

|Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Total
    Core|10 min|10 min||||20 min
    Yoga|10 min|10 min|10min|10min||40 min
    S&C|30 min|25 min||||55 min
    Foam Rolling|||20 min|||20 min
    Plyos||||5 min||5min

Sat
    AM Yoga
    PM 7.7 miles (7.50 min/m)
    Daily Challenge: Plyo circuits (6x30 on/30 off)

Followed up with a core circuit (10 min of 1 min on 30 sec off)

Body definitely over the midweek dip thankfully meaning back on the ancillary train. The run itself was handy. which coming up on a 70 mpw and 3rd week on week increase bodes well.

|Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Total
    Core|10 min|10 min||||10 min|30 min
    Yoga|10 min|10 min|10min|10min||10 min|60 min
    S&C|30 min|25 min|||||55 min
    Foam Rolling|||20 min||||20 min
    Plyos||||5 min||15 min|20 min

Sun
    AM Yoga
    PM 2.5 warm up, 10 Alternating (6.30/7.30), 2.5 cooldown

Another week down and again I am saying highest mileage week since last July just cresting 70 mpw. Legs felt good going into this one though a little bit of fatigue form the overall weekly cumulative effect, better than they had all week. Also had the blessing of a break from the wind this week as well as the fact that my last two long runs before this also decent enough winds.

Run itself wasn't too bad, felt smooth throughout and even the 7.30s (closer to 7.20s) felt like recoveries more than moderate running. A little pinch of fatigue in the last few miles but nothing more than I would feel on a time on feet run. A Step up on same run 4 weeks ago which bodes well given roughly 22 extra miles in the legs this week.

Bit of a step back intensity wise this week with just the one midweek session and the TT. Should be able to pull of decent time even with just relying on strides, plyo's and a handful of 30 sec fartlek efforts but realistically this is only a benchmark.

|Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    Core|10 min|10 min||||10 min||30 min
    Yoga|10 min|10 min|10min|10min||10 min|10 min|70 min
    S&C|30 min|25 min||||||55 min
    Foam Rolling|||20 min|||||20 min
    Plyos||||5 min||15 min||20 min

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can I ask a stupid question? Whats the essential difference between Core and S&C?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Can I ask a stupid question? Whats the essential difference between Core and S&C?

My Core work is based around trunk stability, alot of ab type work dealing with them from a multi directional approach. The Abs are a set of muscles that work in various directions this is why traditional planks etc I don't feel are great as a core routine as you are just working on muscle contraction. Likewise situps are just working on top down movement. The routine I am doing deals with abs from multitude of aspects ;

- Top down
    - Bottom Up
    - Lateral movement
    - Rotation and Anti-rotation

Strength and conditioning for me is more dealing with power and lean muscle mass so more resistance type of work so resistance bands, body weight exercises, Dumbells and Barbell (If I can ever get one ordered for the house)

Technically all could be classed as conditioning work but for the purpose of my training I am distinguishing as such.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cool, males sense I guess/

Mon
    AM Yoga + 7 miles easy (7.50 min/m)
    PM 4 miles easy (8.22 min/m)
    Daily Challenge: Lower body S&C

Followed up with a core circuit

Nothing too much to report for this one, spent a bit of time on the grass just tipping by handy enough flushing out the legs

Bit of a recharge week with 2 days easy before and after the one session of the week and then TT Saturday.

|Mon|Total
    Core|10 min|10 min
    Yoga|10 min|10 min
    S&C|30 min|30 min
    Foam Rolling||
    Plyos||

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Do you do the same yoga routine each time? I'm guessing there are core moves you rate highly for running or do you mix it around depending on what area you feel needs attention?

Great metrics to record btw, very motivational!

Do you do the same yoga routine each time? I'm guessing there are core moves you rate highly for running or do you mix it around depending on what area you feel needs attention?

Great metrics to record btw, very motivational!

Same routine basically working on back and posterior chain mostly working as sets (back and forward between sets of poses for mobility moreso than static);

Cow Pose
    Cat Pose
    Baby Pose (also each side for additional lat stretch)
    Cobra Pose
    Downward facing dog (two leg followed by single leg
    Modified Warrior Pose (with internal and external hip rotation
    Pigeon Pose (forward bend and back extension)
    Triangle Pose

While I do find these are good for my range of motion and can definitely feel my form is better after a few weeks of this the main benefit for me is more psychological. For the sake of 10 min in the morning after I wake up I find it encourages me to be better about my general routine as I make sure to get pint of water, get a few things done in the house, emails etc rather than just waking up and letting the morning get away from me before work and as a result losing further time later in the day playing catch up. Might sound silly but it has definitely helped overall in terms of energy levels. I did this shortly after Ethan was born and it is a shame that I let myself fall out of the habit as I think realistically it is worth an extra hour or two in terms of productivity in a day.

In terms of the metrics I took the idea from shotgunmcos log. I was starting to slip the week before with some of that stuff so offers a good reminder that this stuff while might seem optional is just as important to my training at the moment so offered a reminder of where I am slipping up. I also think that it helps to quantify this to an extent as a distance runner (we tend to fixate on numbers) so can go hand in hand with the running figures at the end of the week.

Tues
    AM Yoga + 7 miles easy (7.38 min/m)
    PM 4 miles easy (8.00 min/m)
    Daily Challenge: Foam Rolling

Followed up with a core circuit

More of the same today just getting he bread and butter stuff done. Terrible night sleep as the little lad decided 4am was as good a time as any for Paw Patrol (literally his first words when he wakes most mornings)

Legs were glad of a bit of TLC with foam rolling in the evening and a bit of downtime

|Mon|Tues|Total
    Core|10 min|10 min|20 min
    Yoga|10 min|10 min|20 min
    S&C|30 min||30 min
    Foam Rolling||30 min|30 min
    Plyos||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Do you do that sequence of poses as a sun salutation sequence or hold each pose? Not sure where you got the idea from my log :confused: I just post how much time I spent on the mat at the end of each week. A table might hold me more accountable to doing it more regularly though.

Do you do that sequence of poses as a sun salutation sequence or hold each pose? Not sure where you got the idea from my log :confused: I just post how much time I spent on the mat at the end of each week. A table might hold me more accountable to doing it more regularly though.

They would be done in a sun salutation sequence. Not a big fan of long holds for any sort of stretching to be honest (15 sec tops for less developmental stretching)

It was your total time spent that resonated with me. Expanding it to table was done to a)show consistency rather than lumping all in one day and b) highlight the benefits of micro-habits by showing the cumulative affect of taking 5-10 min here and there in a day.

I have completely falling back down the hole of self development since lockdown as such between training theory, sports science and injury webinars, coaching zooms and psychology/business development so trying to take on board as much as I can an implement small tweaks to ensure that the progress made during this time isn't undone when "normal life" resumes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Coaching zooms :pac: I guess remote coaches are not exactly remote any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

KSU wrote: »
    Same routine basically working on back and posterior chain mostly working as sets (back and forward between sets of poses for mobility moreso than static);

Cow Pose
    Cat Pose
    Baby Pose (also each side for additional lat stretch)
    Cobra Pose
    Downward facing dog (two leg followed by single leg
    Modified Warrior Pose (with internal and external hip rotation
    Pigeon Pose (forward bend and back extension)
    Triangle Pose

While I do find these are good for my range of motion and can definitely feel my form is better after a few weeks of this the main benefit for me is more psychological. For the sake of 10 min in the morning after I wake up I find it encourages me to be better about my general routine as I make sure to get pint of water, get a few things done in the house, emails etc rather than just waking up and letting the morning get away from me before work and as a result losing further time later in the day playing catch up. Might sound silly but it has definitely helped overall in terms of energy levels. I did this shortly after Ethan was born and it is a shame that I let myself fall out of the habit as I think realistically it is worth an extra hour or two in terms of productivity in a day.

In terms of the metrics I took the idea from shotgunmcos log. I was starting to slip the week before with some of that stuff so offers a good reminder that this stuff while might seem optional is just as important to my training at the moment so offered a reminder of where I am slipping up. I also think that it helps to quantify this to an extent as a distance runner (we tend to fixate on numbers) so can go hand in hand with the running figures at the end of the week.

That's really helpful L thanks. I'm just coming to the end of the 30 day yoga challenge and while it's been challenging to get up every morning and fit it in, I'd agree that it helps set you up for the day. I like the idea of continuing the habbit and 10 mins is more manageable than 20/25.

Wed
    AM Yoga
    PM 20 min LT (5min) 4x30/30
    Daily Challenge: Upper body S & C (Resistance bands)

The good, bad and the ugly.....

The Good
    The session was super controlled, felt like i could have cruised at that pace endlessly and was evening pulling back when I started seeing 5.40s on the watch. The fact that the HR backs up the fact that this truly was Threshold effort shows that I am progressing well averaging 5.55 pace overall.

The Bad
    30 sec pitstop during the effort (not enough to drop the HR too much and ruin the session thankfully). Strides were phoned in slightly and cooldown cut short. All this stemming from the same thing...

The Ugly
    Stomach issues from the offset major cramping, managed to keep them at bay somewhat during the threshold effort but couldn't really let loose on the 30 sec segments.

Not sure whether it was down to just a bad choice of dinner or whether it was actually the prawns being a little off (think it was the latter to be honest) but thankfully only resulted in some bad cramping could have been alot worse and managed to hit the session pretty much in tact.

Cap's off a nice little 4 week block of threshold work and legs feeling like they are coming through little block of fatigue had been feeling the last while. Interesting to see how the weekend will go. Taken a bit of confidence from Steph Bruce in NAZ Elite who yesterday unofficially broke her 1 mile PB given that her training never sees's anything but a couple of 100/200m strides in the form of speed sprinkled into her 100 mpw marathon training

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAtWoGNHH47/

|Mon|Tues|Wed|Total
    Core|10 min|10 min||20 min
    Yoga|10 min|10 min|10 min|30 min
    S&C|30 min||20 min|50 min
    Foam Rolling||30 min||30 min
    Plyos|||

Thurs
    AM Yoga
    PM 9.5 miles easy (7.55 min/m)

Fatigue subsiding a little this week cumulatively so felt generally good for this one. Bit longer than planned as misjudged route but hit every climb in the vicinity. Not dialing back training for the TT but still should be relatively fresh.

|Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Total
    Core|10 min|10 min|||20 min
    Yoga|10 min|10 min|10 min|10 min|40 min
    S&C|30 min||20 min||50 min
    Foam Rolling||30 min||20 min|50 min
    Plyos||||

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thurs
    AM Yoga
    PM 9.5 miles easy (7.55 min/m)

Fatigue subsiding a little this week cumulatively so felt generally good for this one. Bit longer than planned as misjudged route but hit every climb in the vicinity. Not dialing back training for the TT but still should be relatively fresh.

|Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Total
    Core|10 min|10 min|||20 min
    Yoga|10 min|10 min|10 min|10 min|30 min
    S&C|30 min||20 min||50 min
    Foam Rolling||30 min||20 min|50 min
    Plyos||||

You've robbed yourself of 10mins yoga in your total ;)

You've robbed yourself of 10mins yoga in your total ;)

The tables seemed like such a good idea especially at the start of each week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

The tables seemed like such a good idea especially at the start of each week :p

They are are a great way of tracking it all...I need to try be a bit more consistent with my own stuff, i only do the yoga/glute activation stuff when i remember:rolleyes:

Fri
    AM Yoga
    PM 5.9 miles miles easy (7.58 min/m)

Coming off a slightly longer stretch in work was feeling it a bit as was fairly sleepy going out for this one. Had in my head the mental tooing and frowing of not pulling back training for the TT while at the same time keeping the consistency of base. In the end came to a decent compromise which was cut little bit short on the last stride due to an erratic delivery driver trying to take me out.

Sat
    AM Yoga
    PM 1 mile TT* - 4.56 Followed by 4x1 mile MP (90 sec)

Despite being off had a few commitments today so i knew this was gonna be a late one. Despite the weather improving as it got later the compromise was motivation and dread built up (maybe it was seeing some lightning fast times and starting to think should have eased up during the week for this :D)

Loop I chose was slightly different to my usual one. After the delivery driver incident the night before I decided to cut out the side of the estate that is the main way in and out from local chipper. Hip flexor grumbling a little in warm up (has been making a little noise the last few days tbh, nothing dramatic or too worrying but enough to be noticeable. Hoped mile would,'t tweak it.

For the last TT I set the watch up for 5k with a workout of 5x1k no warm up or cooldown and no recoveries I figured its best way to no be faffing about with watch at the end and can "run through the line" Did the same for this one 4x400m making the crucial mistake you make when you embrace the fecking metric system, it ruins lives :P

Got out fast enough with a small decline in the 1st 200m. Kept saying to myself stay relaxed for the first half. Given I have only been doing base and strides I knew body wouldn't come back anaerobically from too aggressive a start. 71 for 400 and then made the mistake of continuing to remain too relaxed. Looking back I made up the small elevation that had dropped in first 200 but realistically the pace wasn't a result of that loop itself is as pancake flat as you could make. I simply stayed too relaxed and and controlled and the pace showed as came through in 78, way too slow for such a short distance. I knew I had to get the finger out.

Came through around the 1k mark and knew that despite breathing hard I was not swimming in the lactate I should be legs opened up a bit and moving well and feeling relatively good. 74 for the proverbial 3rd lap a position I would relish to be in on the track in a mile/1500 race.

Emptied the tank in the closing stages but to be honest was all left a bit too late, closed in 72 and looking back on the watch I saw 4.56 however dawned on me then my lacking arithmetic skills. Watch was saying 4.59 pace adjusted but I was kicking myself. We live and learn :rolleyes:

straight into a recovery mile jog and a light session just to round off the day 4x1 mile @ MP effort. Recovered quickly from the time trial and tipped along with this cruising not pushing too heavy.

Happy with the overall effort for the day.

|Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Total
    Core|10 min|10 min|||||20 min
    Yoga|10 min|10 min|10 min|10 min|10 min|10 min|50 min
    S&C|30 min||20 min|||50 min
    Foam Rolling||30 min||20 min|||50 min
    Plyos||||||

• Advertisement

Sun - OFF

Mon - OFF

Tues
    AM 4 miles easy (7.57 min/m)
    PM 8x1km @LT (90s easy)

Bit of a missed step at weekend. Was just drained by the time evening runs came along and crashed before could make myself get out the door. Won't beat myself up about it and just take the positives from a bit of extra sleep as discipline in this regard had been slipping with bed time getting later and later all week which took its toll.

Back on track this week. A short lunch run just to get the legs going for the session after two days off.

Session once again was controlled and based off effort. Resisted the temptation of taking the LT pace from last week and just running with that. Was spot on feeling nice and controlled but feeling the little pinch of fatigue as it went on.

Next block will be similar to last month just with a little extra volume added to the LT session.

|Mon|Tues|Total
    Core|||
    Yoga|||
    S&C|||
    Foam Rolling|||
    Plyos||

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice work on those K reps - I see the recoveries were all at a good clip too. Good stuff.

Nice work on those K reps - I see the recoveries were all at a good clip too. Good stuff.

Cheers A.

This has been the focus of these sessions throughout the last month. Definitely running the more within myself on the "harder" sessions than I may have done in the past but the recoveries kept honest so not actually using them as "recovery" per say.

Probably reading way too much into things these days but the more I delve into training theory etc the more I come to the conclusion that a large portion of us at amateur level training at much higher intensity more than perhaps we should be compared to say elites. This might be me reading into things way too much though.

Overall I feel like with the effort levels better fine tuned around sessions is allowing me to see the benefits of S and C and focusing on form and relaxation while running at paces as being more beneficial than simply training energy pathways. Also seeing me more consistent in general.

2 months is a long time.:o:o:o

Bit of a setback in June. At first put it down to stress and trying to pick up the slack at home with OH energy levels being low due to first Trimester. I was finishing work most days practically falling asleep so just put it down to burning the candle at both ends. It was only after putting two and two together that I started to suspect something else.

In the past I have complained about suspected allergies due to pollen. It tends to be quite insidious and usually only every suspected after the fact. This time was nothing new. Herself had a floral subscription (absolute notions getting flowers delivered on a monthly basis making a man have to actually use the aul noggin for presents around occasion time) It was only after I binned a dying bouquet and the energy/ motivation was sky high again less than 24 hrs later that I started to suspect this was the culprit. So lesson learned currently on anti histamine with a bouquet in the house so will see how the coming days/week go.

As a result of the above June was not pretty sporadic running one or two small sessions but ultimately just blah. July and got back into the swing of things

Mileage progression was solid; 32, 45, 51, 68

Sessions and went back to building

Week 1 - 10k Tempo (6.54 min/m)

Week 2 - 8x1km @ LT (90) - (4.00/6.30 pace average)
    - 9km Tempo (6.33 min/m)

Week 3 - 5x1 mile LT (2.30) - 6.26, 6.18, 6.22, 6.21, 6.16
    - 10km Tempo (6.43 min/m)

Week 4 - 15 w/ 12 Alternating (6.45/7.30)
    - 4x8 min LT (3 min) - 6.27, 6.21, 6.21, 6.18,
    - 5 mile Threshold (Grass) - 6.28 min/m)

The aim going forward now is cross country for few reasons

1) No need to talk about shoes
    2) Will allow me to get strong, focus on effort and forget about paces for 4 months
    3) There is a race I have unfinished business with
    4) Target race 3 weeks before new baby due so should be able to just tip along with easy mileage for 6-8 weeks around that and then hopefully this time around be better managed coming out the other end ready to train again

I have made a few changes as well to approach to slot in with group training for a while. 5 mile threshold was great to have RayCun and a group to run with for even 1 or two sessions a week I am hoping will allow me to be more consistent and structured at the weekends so I am not having to dig in for self motivation for every session. I am hoping this will help me achieve the consistency I want.

Little lad has also returned to creche so free's up the mornings for training before work which should help some as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

2 months is a long time.:o:o:o

The aim going forward now is cross country for few reasons

1) No need to talk about shoes
    2) Will allow me to get strong, focus on effort and forget about paces for 4 months
    3) There is a race I have unfinished business with
    4) Target race 3 weeks before new baby due so should be able to just tip along with easy mileage for 6-8 weeks around that and then hopefully this time around be better managed coming out the other end ready to train again

I have made a few changes as well to approach to slot in with group training for a while. 5 mile threshold was great to have RayCun and a group to run with for even 1 or two sessions a week I am hoping will allow me to be more consistent and structured at the weekends so I am not having to dig in for self motivation for every session. I am hoping this will help me achieve the consistency I want.

Congrats on the new arrival, Luke!

That sounds like a really good plan for the next few months. I was struggling with motivation last year and found it really useful just to be able to turn up to a club session once a week (just made that my quality session and didn't worry too much about what else I did that week).

It took all the stress out of planning training and added a really positive mental element: the social bit of training in a group. The bit of competition during training was enjoyable too.

And there's some great runners to work off in that group you were training with.

What's the target race?!

I'll see you at a couple of xc races this winter (if they happen!)...

Sacksian wrote: »
    Congrats on the new arrival, Luke!

That sounds like a really good plan for the next few months. I was struggling with motivation last year and found it really useful just to be able to turn up to a club session once a week (just made that my quality session and didn't worry too much about what else I did that week).

It took all the stress out of planning training and added a really positive mental element: the social bit of training in a group. The bit of competition during training was enjoyable too.

And there's some great runners to work off in that group you were training with.

What's the target race?!

I'll see you at a couple of xc races this winter (if they happen!)...

That's my thinking exactly tried to do the solo heavy lifting for far too long and just hasn't been working for consistency the last 18 months so willing to change it up and hope it pay's dividends. Have to say was enjoyable one even with the group being smaller than they usually have.

Target for me has to be intermediates never managed better than 11th so hopefully can improve on that.

Probably gonna have to have a late start to season as won't be able to do Novice.

Mon - OFF
    Tues - Fartlek - 8x2 min on/off (Target pace 6.00)
    Wed - AM 10 miles incl 10x20 sec strides PM 4 miles easy
    Thurs - OFF
    Fri - 5 miles easy
    Sat - Grass Threshold - 5 mile (6.26 min/m)
    Sun - OFF

Total Mileage : 36.2 miles

Bit of a blip week. Was 0/3 for attempted long runs. Little lad started back in creche and almost at the same time seems to have had a sleep regression and waking up at night, put a spanner in the works for Mon/Thurs.

Keeping the fartlek handy enough just working on race pace with equal recovery just to focus on rhythm.

Saturday and another Grass tempo. Happy to have a group to slot into for this and ended up just slotting in with RayC from around these parts and one of the younger lads however I was soon dropped as Ray was moving well. Good to have this regular one to structure training a bit. It has caused me to change up approach slightly than what I had been planning so still getting the weekly format and focus right but ultimately it's a move I think will be beneficial in the long run.

In other news after almost 20 years I will no longer be a TAC runner. Transfer forms have been put in and a decision that had been on my mind for a long long time. Hopefully its a move which will spark me getting back to where I want/need to be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

How much the Brother’s pay??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brothers gonna work it out :)

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    How much the Brother’s pay??????

Ed Woodward negotiating the deal which means prob won't be finalised before 2030

Advertisement