Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I am wondering because mostly, the thread traffic seems to be anti-Trump.
    The topic of the thread is not specifically positive or negative.

As bad as the dems and far left paint him, he must have some people championing him?

TBH, I think you're positing from a false or insincere position in (accidentally?) suggesting only the "far left" would paint him in a bad light. His record speaks for itself, and is by all accounts the most vocal President - certainly in the modern era. He damns himself frequently with his own words and voluminous output, and when its frequently so vulgar and egregious it's easy to presume some bias or axe to grind.

Nixon still had ~30% approval around his impeachment IIRC (open to correction) so of course there always be those who continue to support "their man". But as this is a forum that tries to debate on more factual, critical points of view, it's hard to look at the Trump presidency and think "good enough".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

As bad as the dems and far left paint him, he must have some people championing him?

Rigolo?

Trump has never been particularly popular. If I recall correctly, in the 2016 election, even amongst people who voted for him, less than half liked him. They either were just fans of the opposition even less, or people who wanted a President who would sign a lot of the Republican-sponsored legislation, appoint more conservative judges, or just refuse to sign Democrat-sponsored legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Outside his rich supporters, Trump has done little to help his base and sometimes even the opposite (see farmers). What Trump however has done is hurt those his base hate - immigrants, LGBT, minorities, and in general annoying the 'libs'.

America is broken to the point that many will vote against their own self interests to simply hurt others.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

He has hit a new low, if that were possible, labelling the 75 year old man knocked to the ground, bleeding from his ear, as 'Antifa'.

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment. @OANN
    I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You would think so, and there have been quite a few that have come on to argue, not exactly for him, but against what others are saying.

However, they can never, or very rarely, provide anything even resembling facts, their arguments tend to be completely one sides (Biden has dementia. Ok, what about Trump? Echo chamber!) is usually the way it goes.

It all seems to fall down because Trump himself doesn't have any actual policies or agenda. That it makes it very hard to argue for him as really nobody has any idea what he is planning.

Clearly the judges, not just SCOTUS but across the board, if a massive win for conservatives. But I would argue that nearly all GOP POTUS would have done the same. Maybe not taken such a divisive approach, but McConnell started it with the last year of Obama.

I remember having a back and forth a while ago about Trump policies and the only one put forward as a positive was that he defunded Planned Parenthood. And whilst one might agree with that, it is surely not worth the price of all the other issues that Trump brings to the table.

Here's the fundamental thing - "Conservatism" in the US is actually a dwindling ethos , there are more Registered Democrats in the US than Republicans and the gap is increasing every year and when you look at polling data, the support for the things that the Hard core republicans want is actually very low.

Support for Abortion is above 60% , People generally support immigration and see it as a benefit to the Country as a whole etc.

Outside certain rural areas in a small number of States, the support for most of the Conservative agenda is in terminal decline.

So - How do they stop that?

Control the judiciary and State level government to enforce their beliefs and policies over the actual will of the people.

Over the last 15 years or so , the GOP have focused heavily on both of those things and at the state level get to hold on to those gains through rampant gerrymandering of the districts.

When it comes to the Judiciary , they needed to control the Senate and get a GOP President. Once McConnell got control of the senate , he slow-walked and delayed as much as he possibly could in the final years of the Obama administration to limit the number of judges that got appointed , waiting for the day that they controlled the WH.

As soon as Trump got in , they began an unprecedented acceleration of Judicial appointments to fill as many seats as possible , even convincing a sort of Swing vote Supreme Court Justice to retire early so he could be replaced by a much younger hard right appointment. They are doing the same at all levels , plenty of evidence to show that both McConnell and Lindsey Graham are actively pushing older Judges to retire before the end of this term so they can lock in a conservative replacement for the next 20+ years before any potential change in leadership.

Credit where credit is due , the GOP have been playing the long-game for quite a while and if they got another 4 years it would likely give them at least another 1 if not 2 Supreme court seats , the Conservatives would then control the US for the next 30 years , no matter who voted for what or how small a percentage of the US population actually supported or wanted them.

Any attempt by a future Democrat led WH to make changes to any of those "Conservative" touchstones would be shot down in the courts.

Bottom line - They do not care who or what Trump is , what he does or how he behaves , he is giving them what they want and need. Which is long term control over the law of the land via the Judiciary.

Nothing else matters to them.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I understand that perspective when he is distracting from negative 'real issues' to some made up nonsense that doesn't move the needle but that isn't the case here.

What is he distracting from here? The ongoing protests and the 3rd funeral? If anything a big news story is something that should be positive for Trump - Biden pushing back on defunding the police. Instead we are talking about what a horrible human he is. Do you think senior voters are going to like him justifying police cracking their skulls open?

As a follow-up to this post, how is this sort of headline on Drudge (of all places) a good thing for Trump? It is a distraction but one that makes him look like a monster.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1270385089642364928?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 13,184 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

As a follow-up to this post, how is this sort of headline on Drudge (of all places) a good thing for Trump? It is a distraction but one that makes him look like a monster.

I want one of those hand-held police jamming devices that this guy had. Where can I get one? Is there an Antifa shop somewhere? So cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Trump is struggling with seniors regarding November and he is tweeting that conspiracy ****e.

Its standard Trump though, the narrative was what the Dems meant by defunding the police which was proving tricky for the Dems to answer as so many had different solutions......... but Trump changes it to this and Republicans now have to run defense for him over something as inane as that tweet.

I think their will be plenty of Republicans who will privately be relieved that Trump will likely lose in November so they don't have to keep defending the impossible.

3D Chess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Ben Done wrote: »
    He has hit a new low, if that were possible, labelling the 75 year old man knocked to the ground, bleeding from his ear, as 'Antifa'.

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment. @OANN
    I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?

It's probably not possible, but you have to hand it to him, he keeps trying to set the bar lower and lower.

I sometimes shake my head in bewilderment at Trump's latest pronouncement/tweet/publicity stunt/action and then I pinch myself and ask myself why am I surprised? There are no depths to which he will not sink. I'm pretty sure that there are things he will come up with in the future that are so awful that we'll all say "we didn't see that coming".

And the reason that we didn't see it coming is because we are normal human beings, not depraved monsters with a total disregard for anyone or anything that stands in his way.

Words fail me.

It's primarily because of the fact that Trump is a miserable excuse for a human being who has done nothing but bring disgrace to the office since he was elected president.

I personally can't understand why anyone would want or need to champion him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I simply do not get the political strategy of repelling "maybe" votes in marginal states. He can't double down any further to appeal to his existing base, it's wasting every conceivable resource.

Anyone like to explain if they can.

He's an imbecile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is it just a pathetic form of bravado? "Oh, if someone pushed me I wouldn't fall down so easily. Those weakling lefties eh?" That sorta reasoning? The elderly aren't exactly known for perfect equilibrium at the best of times (didn't Sanders fall in the shower?), it wouldn't take much to send a 75 year old flying. Anyone with an aged parent is probably familiar with that. Given Trump himself is 2 years shy of that protestor maybe it cut deeper than he'd like to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is it just a pathetic form of bravado? "Oh, if someone pushed me I wouldn't fall down so easily. Those weakling lefties eh?" That sorta reasoning? The elderly aren't exactly known for perfect equilibrium at the best of times (didn't Sanders fall in the shower?), it wouldn't take much to send a 75 year old flying. Anyone with an aged parent is probably familiar with that. Given Trump himself is 2 years shy of that protestor maybe it cut deeper than he'd like to admit.

He doesn’t see a jot of himself in that old man, he has unwavering belief in himself, it’s extraordinary and frightening that he can detach himself from reality so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I simply do not get the political strategy of repelling "maybe" votes in marginal states. He can't double down any further to appeal to his existing base, it's wasting every conceivable resource.

Emotion outweighing reason. Or else years of ingrained behaviour, whereby the financial advantage he was handed meant he could bully his way to what he wanted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is anyone else concerned that he has another 6 months of power, with losing support and increasingly more erratic behaviour? This is a fella here who would have no problem burning the country to the ground either to try and help him or else because he's losing and throwing a tantrum.

If Biden wins heavily in November he has 11 weeks during which he can do whatever he wants with no one keeping check on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Complete indiscipline and stupidity. On the day where the Nasdaq hits record highs, he spends time drawing attention to his peddling of conspiracy theories, alienating elderly voters in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I think the reality is that a significant number of Americans prefer the picture on the right, and are prepared to put up with Trump's crassness and incompetence in everything else, so long as he pushes a 1950s view of American society.

How Trump and the GOP have won in the past, plan to win in November, and why they are scared to death of postal voting.

https://twitter.com/brent_peabody/status/1270379173383733249?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

How Trump and the GOP have won in the past, plan to win in November, and why they are scared to death of postal voting.

This a parody tweet?

Photoshop says hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I saw this earlier. This could be an indication as to how the general election will go in November, especially in states/cities with a high African American population.

Why are the States so in favour of voting machines? Why not allow paper ballots instead? Surely there'd be a lot less issues.

This a parody tweet?

Photoshop says hi.

:confused:

There are hundreds of photos and videos available showing the lines.

It is a fact that they closed more than 80 polling locations in the mainly democrat Atlanta.

If there wasn't an issue why would their Secretary of State be saying they'll 'investigate'. Problem is investigating after the fact is too late in November.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1270440344337952777?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

:confused:

There are hundreds of photos and videos available showing the lines.

It is a fact that they closed more than 80 polling locations in the mainly democrat Atlanta.

If there wasn't an issue why would their Secretary of State be saying they'll 'investigate'. Problem is investigating after the fact is too late in November.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1270440344337952777?s=20

It's still blatantly a photoshopped photo.

Which negates its value completely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

This a parody tweet?

Photoshop says hi.

You are using a question mark to ask are the images doctored. You then answer yourself with the Photoshop says hi bit, which confirms to yourself it is doctored. I'm not sure you are getting how this discussion forum works.

As you believe it to be doctored, could you state why you believe this?

If anything here is photoshopped is this one. Trump looks shopped in

Complete indiscipline and stupidity. On the day where the Nasdaq hits record highs, he spends time drawing attention to his peddling of conspiracy theories, alienating elderly voters in the process.

What's even more absurd about it is the" theory " was not been discussed by many if any prominent Trumpers ,,,normally some of the drivel he picks up has some sort of momentum online but this is literally some random troll on OANN talking bollocks.

Amusingly some of the "journalists" from OANN are pissed of it with it also. Noted left wing Breitbart also pushed back on it.

Truly surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Rjd2 wrote: »
    What's even more absurd about it is the" theory " was not been discussed by many if any prominent Trumpers ,,,normally some of the drivel he picks up has some sort of momentum online but this is literally some random troll on OANN talking bollocks.

Amusingly some of the "journalists" from OANN are pissed of it with it also. Noted left wing Breitbart also pushed back on it.

Truly surreal.

Left wing Breitbart what now?

Left wing Breitbart what now?

I was trying a banter. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

As ever, the last sentence offers some level of deniability when pulled up on it.

So, what are we actually supposed to be looking at? Covid? Protests? Something else they're trying to take our attention away from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement