Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

Hmmm....

seems someone had it in for your bull

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Remind us....what kind of bull do you have? :D

A sniper bull

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

tanko wrote: »
    How is he now?

Had a heifer calve a tiny tot Saler heifer this evening, she's the smallest calf i've ever seen, small for even a Saler but was up and sucking in less than twenty minutes.

He sailing now 🀙 I’m counting this lad one I really shouldn’t have but great to have him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Hmmm....
    Register him as an Angus and then with the AA bonus in the factory he will be worth a right few €€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Cavelands Jolly was bred by the secetary of the Limousin Society. Interesting pedigree as he's by Ionesco, who's great for fertility but poor milk and then Ronick Hawk who is good for both.

I used Ionesco a fair bit about ten years ago. Easy calved, he bred pure tanks of heifers but bulls weren't as good.
    Kept several cows off him, only one left now. Brutes of cows with good docility and fertility, not the best for milk but just enough most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    I used Ionesco a fair bit about ten years ago. Easy calved, he bred pure tanks of heifers but bulls weren't as good.
    Kept several cows off him, only one left now. Brutes of cows with good docility and fertility, not the best for milk but just enough most of the time.

I bought 5 Ionesco straws from Munster last year when they had them. Used one but cow didn't hold. He always seemed a great bull to me.

The dam of the Bova Gamin (ZGM) is by Ionesco and I've seen him in the back breeding of a few other bulls too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Register him as an Angus and then with the AA bonus in the factory he will be worth a right few €€€€€€

She's an Angus alright but I can't figure out where she came out of. A mystery only genotyping can solve.

I bought 5 Ionesco straws from Munster last year when they had them. Used one but cow didn't hold. He always seemed a great bull to me.

The dam of the Bova Gamin (ZGM) is by Ionesco and I've seen him in the back breeding of a few other bulls too.

I'd be a big fan. Had an ionesco X fieldson alfy bull here for a few years. He bred some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Nice surprise this afternoon. Set of twins landed around lunch. She calved first one (bull) herself no problem. I spotted a second blister inside her shortly after she calved so was fairly sure another one was in there. Didn’t leave her too long cos I guessed second one would be coming tail first. Put her in calving gate and pulled a little heifer - coming backwards as I thought. Both very lively and sucked soon after.C12C3832-920A-47B3-8A8A-2319F58A63BC.jpeg

Nice surprise this afternoon. Set of twins landed around lunch. She calved first one (bull) herself no problem. I spotted a second blister inside her shortly after she calved so was fairly sure another one was in there. Didn’t leave her too long cos I guessed second one would be coming tail first. Put her in calving gate and pulled a little heifer - coming backwards as I thought. Both very lively and sucked soon after.C12C3832-920A-47B3-8A8A-2319F58A63BC.jpeg

That made your day, I'd say. Were the legs coming first with the second one?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

That made your day, I'd say. Were the legs coming first with the second one?

Really made my day! Yep, back legs coming first for second one. Hooves upside down so I got her out as quickly as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

She's an Angus alright but I can't figure out where she came out of. A mystery only genotyping can solve.
    Fine looking Angus calf it is then best of luck with her. Its like I do have a CH calf or two every year, Neighbours bull, he calves Jan - March bull does be busy & never moves until mid July then he would go through a wall if there was on cow on near him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Great wee result. They seem big and strong for twins

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Great wee result. They seem big and strong for twins
    Thanks. Yeah they are fine and strong for twins. The cow is as quiet as a lamb too. She even let me wash down her teats before i got the calves up to suck. :D

Quiet cows are everything when it comes to suckling. Neighbour here bought a simmental heifer just calved, with calf at foot. When you go into the field she comes at you with her head down. She wants you to scrath her head. :D

Never seen a cow as quiet. Even when I go into the field on my own she does it. I have my young Lim replacement heifers that way, but they would run away from a stranger.

Quiet cows are everything when it comes to suckling. Neighbour here bought a simmental heifer just calved, with calf at foot. When you go into the field she comes at you with her head down. She wants you to scrath her head. :D

Never seen a cow as quiet. Even when I go into the field on my own she does it. I have my young Lim replacement heifers that way, but they would run away from a stranger.
    Absolutely, it's one thing a cow being a bit cross after calving but if they are constantly wicked or just wild then they have to go.
    Calving sucklers is hard enough without having to deal with wild cows constantly!

A bit better today, making and odd dive to get up even though he hasn't a hope for a few days I'd say. Had him at the vets this morning and he gave him a few shots. Hopeful that he will make it, would love to see what kind of a weanling he would be the back end of the year.

A bit better today, making and odd dive to get up even though he hasn't a hope for a few days I'd say. Had him at the vets this morning and he gave him a few shots. Hopeful that he will make it, would love to see what kind of a weanling he would be the back end of the year.

Think we'd all like to see how he turns out! Hopefully he will do. If the vet is hopeful then that's a good sign. You can normally tell from what they say to you. In my experience, unless there is actually hope for them, the vet won't say that there is.

No harm keep him rolled over on his other side every few hours. A bit of gentle physio would do him good too. He'll let you know if's hurting him. In fairness, he's carrying a fair bit of weight in the back end too. I'm a great fan of the infra red lamp. It's like the sun shining on them.

No harm keep him rolled over on his other side every few hours. A bit of gentle physio would do him good too. He'll let you know if's hurting him. In fairness, he's carrying a fair bit of weight in the back end too. I'm a great fan of the infra red lamp. It's like the sun shining on them.

Ya I was putting him sitting on different sides alright. He's carrying a fair bit of weight everywhere, I'd say he's 80kg. He gets awful winded after making an attempt to get up. Will definitely take a few days if he's going to I'd say, he got a fair dragging with the jack and if I had thought he was as big and muscley as he is I'd have done a section. I had him under the lamp all night, his nose was freezing yesterday evening and his temp was still low this morning when vet took it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

Ya I was putting him sitting on different sides alright. He's carrying a fair bit of weight everywhere, I'd say he's 80kg. He gets awful winded after making an attempt to get up. Will definitely take a few days if he's going to I'd say, he got a fair dragging with the jack and if I had thought he was as big and muscley as he is I'd have done a section. I had him under the lamp all night, his nose was freezing yesterday evening and his temp was still low this morning when vet took it.
    maybe get a small square bale of hay or straw and get him standing over it for support

Well it wasn't to be, stone dead a few hours ago. Was half expecting it but stíll hopeful. Can't give those big ones that kind of hardship, lesson learned the hard way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Ah balls, tough one after getting him out alive. Hope cow is ok

Sorry to hear that LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

Well it wasn't to be, stone dead a few hours ago. Was half expecting it but stíll hopeful. Can't give those big ones that kind of hardship, lesson learned the hard way :(
    shame to loose a calf like that

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Ah balls, tough one after getting him out alive. Hope cow is ok

Ya shes grand, no loss on her after it. Going to take the calf of the heifer that hurt her leg on the gate the other day and put her on her I think. Don't think the heifer will come right again.

High bike wrote: »
    shame to loose a calf like that

A right sickner.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Ah sorry to hear that, i had been following how he was getting on. Was full sure he was going to be fine before your last post. Sickener

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Big calfs, big vet bills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Well fúck that. Sorry to hear LC.
    Think I got damn lucky with my big white lad.

Advertisement