Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion] contd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

i think that bit was so stupid - she goes in there and worried about him yet never said anything about getting an ambulance or medical help or anything , then got delusional about getting engaged , seeing him even in that state where he was spaced out - stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭phormium

I know! The state of him! You'd think your first reaction would be call an ambulance, to the untrained eye he looked like he could be having a heart attack/stroke or any number of serious conditions. Stupid stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭DT2016

That be so good Andy should be a script writer

Eastenders, Emmerdale & Corrie breaking my heart tonight what a night for the soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭threetrees

Has Aaron had sex with an unconscious Amy? If so this story is much deeper than a consent story.

• Advertisement

If he was sober then yes but he was also wasted.

i am not a party pooper or anything like that and like seeing people having a good time , but for Gods sakes why do people have to get so inebriated and wasted like that they are not in control of themselves or what they do - it must be a nightmare for these things to be brought to court and for judge and jury to decide a verdict when both people are totally out of it on drink and cannot remember anything , or just remember parts of what happened .

I don't think being drunk is any excuse, my point is that consent isn't an issue or consideration if one person is unconscious. It's rape.

If the writers wanted to deal with consent I think they should have done a story less black and white.

Anyway, this is not the forum for a consent argument, just my opinion that the writers could have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Lennox Gilbey

For any TikTokers. There is an official Coronation Street account. Charlotte Jordan (has a video up dealing with stalking and Elle Mulvaney has one dealing with rape and definitions of consent.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYfuUDgm/

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Amy has developed into a proper hottie.

• Advertisement

It's not black and white. It might be for someone looking at the situation from the outside, but it's probable that Aaron didn't know she was asleep and that she was positioning herself for him.

Best thing to protect yourself and ensure you're never in Amys position is to not get so drunk. Don't care if I'm accused of victim blaming, people get given advice to protect themselves all the time in situations they wouldn't need to follow that advice if everyone acted correctly, such as locking your house, car, looking to make sure no car is racing through a red light when the green man is lit.

Doesn't matter if it's not your fault, don't put yourself at risk of harm.

Got to agree really, he so drunk he didnt know she passed out I reckon , the time for her to say "here stop now, get out of my bedroom and off my bed" was before she passed out, not both laughing and joking and letting things carry on to that stage of where she passed out and him not knowing and believing that Amy was letting him do what he wanted and what he though was consensual because he didnt realise she had passed out. - but we pretty well all know now how it is going to pan out instead.

Notice how out of character the writers and producers have made him right directly before this .. he was never like that being nasty to Summer etc and acting like a complete moron. They want you to hate him (his character) now

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I saw Alison King AKA Carla turned 50 Yesterday. It's mad to think she was 33 when she first appeared.

And only give a 3 episode arc lol stayed for 17 years so far ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sparko

The Bistro is such an odd venue. You'd never know what to expect if you were in for dinner, might be someone's 80th birthday dinner one night and the next you have teenagers dancing around the tables.

I'm fairly sure she appeared a few years earlier as a housewife who Jason slept with.

I really liked Carla, Liam, etc back in about 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sparko

Mrs Fanshaw!

She gave Jason the idea that any customer opening the door in a dressing gown was looking to sleep with him because shortly after this he tried it on with Gail 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Does Gail have a back door in her dressing gown?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,818 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Poor portrayal of a rape, Amy all over him, kissing him, takes her top off, cuddles up in bed with him, both drunk, then cuts to the next morning. A date rape is more of a situation where it's planned, spiked drink, led out of premises to a secure area with no one else around, and then taking advantaged of the other, who has no input whatsoever.

It's such a debatable issue, as in real life the words '' I consent to having sex with you'' are never said, it's more of a natural occurrence between two people , like in the Corrie story, you could argue kissing him, taking your clothes off, and hopping into bed with him was a natural occurrence between two people in the same state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I'm confused with the Amy story. How can she be sure she was forced if she can't remember?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

No, i think theyr trying to portray that sometimes it's not so black and white, we can infer that both were drunk, but Amy passed out and Aaron had sex with her. Though he was drunk too, he essentially raped her/had sex with her without her consent, but not in such an obvious way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Alice1

Are we sure that Amy did actually pass out? I heard her say that she was in no fit state to give consent - then again, neither was Aaron. They both had the same amount to drink. Sooo, was it rape or regret? I don't quite get her attitude to Aaron after the event.

Incidentally, totally agree with regard to keeping oneself safe and not drinking oneself into a stupor.

I don't know if this is correct and I don't want to start a debate or offend anybody but from my understanding the onus is always on the guy to get consent not matter what he's drank/taken.

IE you don't have sex with somebody who's highly intoxicated and you read the signs and you sort of verbally get consent as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I think Amy is in shock that a friend she trusted took advantage of her and broke her trust in such a horrible way. She seemed to pass out in bed just after she told Aaron that she thought she was going to be sick and didn’t know what had happened until she saw her underwear on the floor the following morning. It’s a terrible thing to happen to anyone but for it to be a friend someone you’ve known for ages and like and trust to do that to you. Words can’t describe how that makes you feel.

Not necessarily on the guy though. Both should consent either through words or actions.

It's clear to me that even if both intoxicated (no excuse), if one person is unconscious then it's rape, you don't even have the consent issue.

What sick person has sex with an unconscious person? Intoxicated or not, male or female, no excuse.

I think the Amy actor is playing a blinder here, she's really good. However I think I would prefer a less clear cut consent story, but that's what the writers chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

the word forced wasn't used. She is upset that he had sex with her while she was unconscious which, in fairness, he should have maybe copped. I think it's well done and might reinforce for people the need to ensure both parties are willing participants. Just because you start kissing someone doesn't mean you have agreed to have sex with them

She took off her top if I remember.

How was he supposed to know she was unconscious? She kissed him, took off her top and then turned over which could be viewed as her positioning herself for him.

Even if Amy was conscious, there'd be plenty of people who'd say she was too drunk to give consent anyways. But then that also applies to her kissing him. You could say he was in no position to consent to being kissed etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Earlier on though, didn't she stop his hand going up her leg and he moved it away? He had no issue understanding that.

Just wait until RTrace finds out- and she will.

Tracy when she finds out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Was I they only one who was secretly hoping that Justin was some kind of martial arts expert and absolutely minced dweeby Daniel?

Post edited by littlevillage on

Advertisement