Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do all female friendships enevitably end in a falling out?

Options
  • 03-01-2020 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

As in sooner or later, two ladies who have been friends for a long time, and during that time spend a lot of time in each other's company hanging out together will eventually end up seeing everything they don't like about that other person 'under the microscope' (as it were) (which, may I add, probably would n't have happened if they had n't been spending so much time in each other's company) , a big drama ensues, and then they fall out with no hope of reconciliation?

Just something I was wondering, and wondered what other ladies thought?

Thanks gals:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

I'm a 30 year old woman and I've never had a falling out with a friend. I've had an occasional fight but nothing major and I've definitely grown apart from people but not for any particular reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am in my 60’s now retired with grandchildren . My best friend I have known since age 4 . We went to school together , we studied in very different institutions , we got married , had kids and now grandchildren
    Not once has a cross word passed between us , we have supported each other and leaned on each other now over 60 years
    My three other friends I know since we were teens or early 20’s , they are still my dear friends . I couldn’t ever imagine falling out with any of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think you are asking about Familiarity breeding Contempt? My life-long friends, mad about them, never had a falling out. A different friend I lived with, we are still good friends, never fell out, but all the same I wouldn’t want to live with her again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭I am me123

pwurple wrote: »
    I think you are asking about Familiarity breeding Contempt? My life-long friends, mad about them, never had a falling out. A different friend I lived with, we are still good friends, never fell out, but all the same I wouldn’t want to live with her again!

Yes. Thats the term Im referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

pwurple wrote: »
    Familiarity breeding Contempt?

A whole lots of things are after clicking with me after reading that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No ...i have only ever fallen out with 2 friends ...they were crazy. Their lives and personalities were very chaotic I couldn't deal with it. Other people could not me though. I am too boring and bourgeoisie for that tbh.

Everyone else i am still friends with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Many of my long ago friends, as I am nearly 80, have crossed the Great Divide but one I have known since our early 20s continues strong. We kind of pick up where we left off without fuss.

And another later in life friendship gains richness also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I've fallen out with maybe 3 friends over the course of about 20 years. I think that familiarity can breed contempt, yes. The most recent one, I got sick of hearing her bragging; about her kids, her holidays, her spending on everything, her weight loss. Everything she talked about seemed to be always trying to "one-up" me, it was never just a nice conversation of exchanging tit-bits of our lives. I started to pull back and withdraw into myself because I felt the friendship wasn't going anywhere. I started spending time doing other things and she started making other new friends pretty quickly to fill the void I guess.
    I have a few lifelong female friends though. We don't see each other often but can always pick up where we left off when we do.

Advertisement