Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)

How legitimate is it for a guard to reveal information?

• 03-01-2020 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ b.e.s.s.

A person X has reported possible drug use to garda. Suspect gets a call from a superintendent saying that person A has informed them.

Question: On a scale from 0 to 10, how possible is that?
    Is it even legitimate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77,851 ✭✭✭✭ Victor

Superintendents on't phone Joe Bloggs types.

Gardaí are unlikely to reveal such information over the phone.

They might reveal such information when questioning someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,285 ✭✭✭✭ Peregrinus

So let me get this right: Person X tells the guards that someone is using drugs, but the guards following up the report tell the suspect - falsely - that it was someone quite different, Person A, who informed on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭ Edgware

Does the D.A. know this is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭ Esel

More to the point - do Internal Affairs know the cops are setting people up?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 27,613 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey

Is drug use a crime, I don't think so. The way Guards treat people caught with drugs is changing. You get a referral to a health worker rather than a day in court. Unless it's a drug dealer I doubt they care too much.
    Could they tell the other person, possibly but doubtful just remember it's a big bucket that can leak at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭ banie01

Edgware wrote: »
    Does the D.A. know this is going on?

It was Internal Affairs all along!
    They even set up the deal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭ banie01

Esel wrote: »
    More to the point - do Internal Affairs know the cops are setting people up?

Bollox!
    What I thought was my brilliant IA quip crossed with yours and now....
    I look like I copied you! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭ Hawkeye9212

It's possible but not legal. Guards can't release third party information over the phone to a suspect. The suspect won't even get that information through a data access request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭ Hawkeye9212

Is drug use a crime, I don't think so. The way Guards treat people caught with drugs is changing. You get a referral to a health worker rather than a day in court. Unless it's a drug dealer I doubt they care too much.
    Could they tell the other person, possibly but doubtful just remember it's a big bucket that can leak at times.

Drug use is still a crime. Attitudes have changed but people still get brought up to court for drug use. It depends on the person. An addict will generally be referred to a health worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭ An Ri rua

b.e.s.s. wrote: »
    A person X has reported possible drug use to garda. Suspect gets a call from a superintendent saying that person A has informed them.

Question: On a scale from 0 to 10, how possible is that?
    Is it even legitimate?

This is publicly available information. www.GardaPulseSystem.ie/Informant_A.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement