Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How legitimate is it for a guard to reveal information?

• 03-01-2020 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

A person X has reported possible drug use to garda. Suspect gets a call from a superintendent saying that person A has informed them.

Question: On a scale from 0 to 10, how possible is that?
    Is it even legitimate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Superintendents on't phone Joe Bloggs types.

Gardaí are unlikely to reveal such information over the phone.

They might reveal such information when questioning someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So let me get this right: Person X tells the guards that someone is using drugs, but the guards following up the report tell the suspect - falsely - that it was someone quite different, Person A, who informed on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Does the D.A. know this is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

More to the point - do Internal Affairs know the cops are setting people up?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is drug use a crime, I don't think so. The way Guards treat people caught with drugs is changing. You get a referral to a health worker rather than a day in court. Unless it's a drug dealer I doubt they care too much.
    Could they tell the other person, possibly but doubtful just remember it's a big bucket that can leak at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Edgware wrote: »
    Does the D.A. know this is going on?

It was Internal Affairs all along!
    They even set up the deal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Esel wrote: »
    More to the point - do Internal Affairs know the cops are setting people up?

Bollox!
    What I thought was my brilliant IA quip crossed with yours and now....
    I look like I copied you! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

It's possible but not legal. Guards can't release third party information over the phone to a suspect. The suspect won't even get that information through a data access request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Is drug use a crime, I don't think so. The way Guards treat people caught with drugs is changing. You get a referral to a health worker rather than a day in court. Unless it's a drug dealer I doubt they care too much.
    Could they tell the other person, possibly but doubtful just remember it's a big bucket that can leak at times.

Drug use is still a crime. Attitudes have changed but people still get brought up to court for drug use. It depends on the person. An addict will generally be referred to a health worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

b.e.s.s. wrote: »
    A person X has reported possible drug use to garda. Suspect gets a call from a superintendent saying that person A has informed them.

Question: On a scale from 0 to 10, how possible is that?
    Is it even legitimate?

This is publicly available information. www.GardaPulseSystem.ie/Informant_A.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement