Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else get sad being back in work today and seeing xmas lights everywhere

Options
  • 02-01-2020 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else get sad being back in work today and seeing xmas lights everywhere

Lol it’s back to normal time and seeing all the lights around houses and the city just makes me even more depressed for some reason.

I wish I was still at home in bed uggghhhh who else is depressed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Xmas is over.

Face facts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Worst day ever :(

I’m highly upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Can see the evenings changing and getting brighter, for me this signals the return of longer days getting outside more and more.
    That’s enough to counter the return to work blues for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The teachers are still happy and that's the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I was in on Monday and Tuesday.
    Softened the blow for me.
    I don’t find this depressing at all.
    And
    It’s Friday tomorrow!!! Wooo.
    Now Monday is really gonna hurt but we won’t talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Too much is made of Christmas. All the bigger the comedown.

It is just a midwinter festival and a calendar change. It does not merit a September-October windup.

Keep it cool next year and ignore the hype. You'll find that Jan will be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

Hate to tell you but technically it’s the third Monday of January is most depressing (Blue Monday). Just a few more weeks and then it’s all uphill!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This is why all the tat needs to be put away by Jan 1st at the latest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

Back in work last friday, lights down new years eve so no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Meh. When you have younger kids, Xmas is kind of hard work. It's not just continuous lazing around and boozing.

Going into work is a bit of a holiday after Xmas tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

seamus wrote: »
    Meh. When you have younger kids, Xmas is kind of hard work. It's not just continuous lazing around and boozing.

Going into work is a bit of a holiday after Xmas tbh.

100%

Add in a bedridden wife with the flu and a quiet office is a godsend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Christmas is crap and stupid. I started a thread about this before Christmas. It takes until after it for people to realize how horrible it is.

But you ones complaining here will be wearing retarded jumpers, watching the ****ed up Toy Show again and yer 12 pubs of human misery next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

The lights don’t make me sad, it’s the fact that I have to go back to work and leave my kids back into crèches. It’s the time the lights twinkle when we as a family get to spend real quality time together, away from the constant stresses of every day life and the work phones that never stop ringing. That makes me sad, not the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,686 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If I didn't have a little fella who still believes in Santy then Christmas for me would be a non-event really.

I've been off since the 23rd and not back in the office till the 7th, so the best part of it (aside from spending the few days with him at Christmas itself) has been just been able to laze around and relax. Work has been both stressful and frustrating the last while so the break has been nice.

I'm not dreading going back either. I told my manager before Christmas that we're going to sit down in the next few weeks (he's offshore) and figure out what we do, as I'm not going to put up with more of the same.

All that said, seeing all the lights and stuff that goes up around Christmas is nice - unless it gets to Clark Griswald levels of tackiness, which is more and more common these days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm delighted. Christmas is over, the New Year is here and so that means the days are getting longer again. Next stop, summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

First World problems lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

biggebruv wrote: »

Lol it’s back to normal time and seeing all the lights around houses and the city just makes me even more depressed for some reason.

I wish I was still at home in bed uggghhhh who else is depressed

You are a kid at heart.
    The world of work is not for you.
    Start planning your escape now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

KildareP wrote: »
    Hate to tell you but technically it’s the third Monday of January is most depressing (Blue Monday). Just a few more weeks and then it’s all uphill!

Hate to tell you but there's nothing technical about it.
    It was originally a marketing gimmick to promote holidays.
    No respected research was done on it. All just conjecture.

If anything, Christmas day or new years eve / day are the most depressing for most. You could see if based on posts here for so many going through hard times. Doesn't help they may assume everyone else is so happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If anything, Christmas day or new years eve / day are the most depressing for most. You could see if based on posts here for so many going through hard times. Doesn't help they may assume everyone else is so happy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_effects_on_suicide_rates

Suicide tends to peak in late Spring/early Summer.

The most interesting thing is that while polls continuously find that people record the winter months as being the "most depressing", this doesn't link with actual clinical depression. We assume that there's a huge jump in disappearances and suicides around Xmas, when in fact there's not.

People just find themselves feeling "a bit sad" during the winter months. Not actually depressed or suicidal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

personally enjoy getting back into the routine again

After Christmas I'm generally bloated, start to get cabin fever and fed up of the dark evenings

At least january starts to bring longer evenings where I can get out and about to exercise and I always use it to plan any holidays for the next few months also, often from my Christmas bonus.

January is what you make of it. Instead of dreading going back to work why not just look at the positives

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s because Christmas is so overhyped (has been for years) - it’s really only a few days off and goes by really quickly. Hence the bigger fall when it comes to an abrupt end

It’s not so much because of Christmas. It’s because work is **** and going back after a decent break is hell. It’s the same going back after the couple of weeks you book in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Don't know about you OP but I am already looking forward to Christmas in 358 days' time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Xmas is over.

Face facts.
    Didn't you know that The Twelve Days Of Christmas (song-wise) only start on Christmas Day (or maybe St Stephen's Day)? Today, there should be 8 maids a-milking or 9 ladies dancing!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't you know that The Twelve Days Of Christmas (song-wise) only start on Christmas Day (or maybe St Stephen's Day)? Today, there should be 8 maids a-milking or 9 ladies dancing!

Its getting rarer and rarer now to see a Xmas tree still up on the 6th Jan.

By that stage of course, some numpties have had it up for over 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Shane McGowan no sooner rolls into town on the Barry's Tea train than it's all over for another year.

Not back until the 6th, heading for lunch and a few afternoon pints now :pac:. It’s still Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am struggling today. I had an extremely stressful Christmas break, so no rest at all for me and now I am incredibly anxious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I prefer the misery.

Advertisement