Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The excitement of buying albums...

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Was that in George's court?

Used to be KG Discs who opened in Barronstrand Shopping Centre in 1988. They also had a place in Lisduggan Shopping Centre. I was in the RTC from 1989-1991 and spent all my ESF grant money in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Used to be KG Discs who opened in Barronstrand Shopping Centre in 1988. They also had a place in Lisduggan Shopping Centre. I was in the RTC from 1989-1991 and spent all my ESF grant money in there.

KG disc that the shop i remember!

And yes the ESF grant for me in 1984 was £11 a week as I was living at home in Waterford. Used to also frequent Sinnots music shops in Johnstown in the city and their other shop nearer to the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was an avid collector of vinyl myself, I have about a thousand albums in a crate in my aunts up in Leitrim. I used to like nothing better than browsing 2nd hand record shops in Glasgow such as Lost Chord in Kelvinbridge and the Record Exchange in the city centre. Flea markets in the Old Saltmarket and at the Barras had a treasure trove of old vinyls. Revolver Records at the Barras should get a mention, I picked up a good condition Hawkwind Space Ritual original album with the open out triplicate sleeve there.

Was getting right into earlier Pink Floyd stuff in the late eighties and reading up on some of their biographies, I heard this track Embryo on the Pink Floyd live at Paris Theatre in 1970 and started reading up about the track, it was never officially released as a finished version. I read that it was released accidentally on a Harvest record sampler called Picnic: A Breath of Fresh Air but was subsequently withdrawn quickly again. The very next day I'm browsing the stalls at the Barras when I came across it that very sampler album in mint condition for £3 quid, was absolutely delighted. I heard eventually that Capitol Records Floyd's American subsidiary released that same version of Embryo on a Floyd sampler called Works. Since about 2005 I've been listening to digital versions when I got my first computer, It doesn't have that same buzz but I'm making up for it now by going to more gigs and festivals. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Well I got my albums in little old Golden Discs - The Smiths, Massive Attack, Talking Heads and U2 (Boy).

Very happy indeed. Thanks for sharing your memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Was an avid collector of vinyl myself, I have about a thousand albums in a crate in my aunts up in Leitrim. I used to like nothing better than browsing 2nd hand record shops in Glasgow such as Lost Chord in Kelvinbridge and the Record Exchange in the city centre. Flea markets in the Old Saltmarket and at the Barras had a treasure trove of old vinyls. Revolver Records at the Barras should get a mention, I picked up a good condition Hawkwind Space Ritual original album with the open out triplicate sleeve there.

Was getting right into earlier Pink Floyd stuff in the late eighties and reading up on some of their biographies, I heard this track Embryo on the Pink Floyd live at Paris Theatre in 1970 and started reading up about the track, it was never officially released as a finished version. I read that it was released accidentally on a Harvest record sampler called Picnic: A Breath of Fresh Air but was subsequently withdrawn quickly again. The very next day I'm browsing the stalls at the Barras when I came across it that very sampler album in mint condition for £3 quid, was absolutely delighted. I heard eventually that Capitol Records Floyd's American subsidiary released that same version of Embryo on a Floyd sampler called Works. Since about 2005 I've been listening to digital versions when I got my first computer, It doesn't have that same buzz but I'm making up for it now by going to more gigs and festivals. :)

You have 1000 vinyls in a gaf in Leitrim? Why aren't they in Galway! :pac:

It amazes me how long this gear lasts though. my dad has a Cyrus One amp from mid 80s, still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

So I bought my first vinyl record over Christmas, dont even have a record player.

John Mayall and the BluesBreakers with Eric Clapton - if you haven't heard it then you need to, Clapton was 21 at the time. This was the album that ended up with Clapton is God graffiti all over London.

Absolute masterpiece...

Keyzer wrote: »
    So I bought my first vinyl record over Christmas, dont even have a record player.

John Mayall and the BluesBreakers with Eric Clapton - if you haven't heard it then you need to, Clapton was 21 at the time. This was the album that ended up with Clapton is God graffiti all over London.

Absolute masterpiece...

That is a good album.. Jesus.. haven't heard it in years..must, ah, acquire it online..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

StealThisAlbum.png

Got a great rush out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

What turntables are people using?

I have a Thorens TD-150 MK II.

Have a Td 160 myself since last December, got it modded and have a Vm95ml on it , sounds amazing, love vinyl and hi-fi, my main hobbies.

Advertisement