Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Extension. Normal or high ceiling

• 28-12-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭ Cal04

Thinking of putting a small extension onto living area of kitchen. Kitchen and living area are a normal ceiling. There will be a slider door and a window at either side of stove. If I'm having a higher ceiling, I was advised to put in velux windows. Don't want to make the area harder to heat because of higher ceiling. Also, which one would be cheaper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52

lower ceiling will be cheaper to heat but may make kitchen darker.
    velux can be ducted down into the flat ceiling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭ Millionaire only not

Cal04 wrote: »
    Thinking of putting a small extension onto living area of kitchen. Kitchen and living area are a normal ceiling. There will be a slider door and a window at either side of stove. If I'm having a higher ceiling, I was advised to put in velux windows. Don't want to make the area harder to heat because of higher ceiling. Also, which one would be cheaper

If u have money to burn do the velux !
    If u haven’t don’t , the job will double in price for high ceilings and velux !
    And possible loss of heat if ur not going to spend on extra insulation as ur area to insulate will be verity walls , roof as against your more straight forward flat ceiling !
    Again hard to advise without seeing the plans !

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭ Cal04

Thank you both. Will have slider doors and some windows so hard to know really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭ wexfordman2

Cal04 wrote: »
    Thank you both. Will have slider doors and some windows so hard to know really

In the vekux side of things, my honest advice is, if you need it to give light into the room, then absolutely put them in, there is ithing worse than a dark kitchen.

We self built 20 years ago, and the kitchen was constantly dark, even in the summer, as we didnt put enough sunlight into it. Put velux in about 2 years ago and it's like a different house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BryanF

And possible loss of heat if ur not going to spend on extra insulation as ur area to insulate will be verity walls , roof as against your more straight forward flat ceiling !

Double the price?

Are you a builder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 31,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo

OP, get proper advice. Velux or a higher than standard ceiling will not double the price of the job.

Advertisement