Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starters for Christmas

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

We used to eat Christmas dinner at around 8pm, but since my brother had kids we’ve had to do it earlier. We usually have melon as a starter, it’s quick to do and there’s plenty of food in the main course!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Do selection boxes count as a starter?

We, as in I don't do a starter. Himself likes salmon so there's salmon and brown Bread there so grazing happens more so than an actual course.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I call my starter breakfast. Porridge, coffee, maybe toast. No point in filling up before big bird lands on the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Traditionally we do soup. Used to be tinned consommé for which I have a weakness :-)

More recently, smoked salmon makes a regular appearance. (No cooking! No pots!)

Can't be anything too filling or fussy sine a very good main course follows after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Late breakfast of Smoked Salmon & Brown Bread instead of a starter, pancakes with toppings bar for the kids, eat early/mid afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Either a homemade smoked salmon moose or scallops with chorizo. I fecking love scallops

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Similar to other, we do melon wrapped in Parma ham, salmon on brown bread and Blini canapés.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been doing the same two nibbles she last few years and bring it to parents house.

Mother tends to follow up with veg soup (that brother in law makes) and prawn cocktail:

- Bacon Wrapped Cherries (wrap strands of good quality bacon around glace cherries, drizzle juice from glace cherries over them, throw in oven for about 8 minutes)
    - Bacon & Cheese Pinwheels: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/cheese-recipes/cheese-bacon-pinwheels/

Both easy recipes and seem to go down well.

Bacon Wrapped Cherries sounds odd but is strangely satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

of course you cam have pate when your pregnant.
    small bit if vitamin a do you no harm.

Advertisement