Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate making home unliveable

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Looshkins

I have had tenants in the past, one very similar to the one you describe, no landlord wants their property trashed, and tension going on. I gave him two chances to change his ways, after that he was given immediate notice, despite his protests and promises to change.I suggest you and your other housemate sit down together with this other housemate and tell him, things as they are not working out, and it is highly likely the letting agency will get to find out what is going on, and then you will all be given notice to leave. Tell him firmly, that unless he starts to be a bit more considerate then you will have to ask him to leave. I wish you all the best with this.
    Cheers man but to be honest i dont quite know how it will go. The place isnt really getting trashed. Theres smoking happening in the room now which is a major issue with me personally but in terms of the lease i dont know.

degsie wrote: »
    Love how a brand new poster drops a bombshell thread starter, let's other posters quibble about the 'apparent' situation and then totally fails to engage any further. Smells of another 'social experiment' thread.

Sorry dude. Been a busy few weeks in the run up to christmas so I havent been able to read or post.
    Just to clarify as its not clear....is this a new partner ? He was fine with the previous one but now this one as all but moved themselves in?
    The partner staying over nightly is in itself enough to chuck them out surely no ?

New partner. Dont know to be honest. Can we get 1 person out or do we all end up sinking together?

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Who interviewed and accepted the tenants?

Anyway if the room was let for one and now the partner is over 5 nights a week inform the letting agency who inform the landlord. Only fair the rent is jacked up on that room and also a more equal split of bills is formalised. The OP would be a sucker to pay for the partners share of bills

Likely the landlord will say no anyway and hopefully the nutter will leave. No shortage of sound & cool easy going potential housemates out there, The summer is a long time away, dealing with tension is no way to live

The other house mate did. I only met then briefly. Seemed ok.

I dont think they can jack up the rent on just a room. It will be a flat increase. Our bills are up 100-150 euro on what they were last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Looshkins wrote: »
    Cheers man but to be honest i dont quite know how it will go. The place isnt really getting trashed. Theres smoking happening in the room now which is a major issue with me personally but in terms of the lease i dont know.

Sorry dude. Been a busy few weeks in the run up to christmas so I havent been able to read or post.

New partner. Dont know to be honest. Can we get 1 person out or do we all end up sinking together?

The other house mate did. I only met then briefly. Seemed ok.

I dont think they can jack up the rent on just a room. It will be a flat increase. Our bills are up 100-150 euro on what they were last year.

I note you say you were to busy to reply.. read like it's not all that much of an issue as your making out. If it were youd be acting not writing at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Friday night for example. The 2 of them smashed in the door at 4am. Turned on music and chatted away. I waited an hour or so in the hopes they would go to bed. No luck. At half 5 I had to get up and tell them to shut up and the entire room was filled with smoke from them smoking with some random dude. Annoyingly the random dude was the only one who seemed apologetic. The one who lives here just sat there smirking at me. Similar stuff has happened over the last few weeks but this was the most infuriating.
    Check your own lease, about what it says about smoking in the house, and more than one person living in your room. If it's not allowed, tell the LL about the infractions.
    I can get rid of them in the summer when lease renewal rolls around by just telling them we dont want them to renew
    They can say that you can leave then.

Advertisement