Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pleiades - Importance to early sailing

• 15-12-2019 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Doing a bit of research on Pleiades and I thought here might be the place to ask. The star cluster appears on an bronze age item called 'The Nebra Sky Disc'.

I want to know how relevant that would have to been to people boating from the Mediterranean as I know it couldn't have been that relevant to people from landlocked central E.U.

Here is a small part of the Wikipedia entry on Pleiades.

''cluster's importance in delimiting the sailing season in the Mediterranean Sea: "the season of navigation began with their heliacal rising".[10]''

What does the meen? Was there atmospheric or sea conditions more favorable to sailing when they started to see Pleiades in the night sky? Or were their better more brighter stars to navigate by at that time of year?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'd hazard a guess that they probably knew from experience the threat of bad weather was a lot less after a certain time of the year/season, that time being when Pleiades began to rise in the sky, meaning it was safe to assume at that time that storm season was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I suppose it must be been hard for them to explain they couldn't guarantee a specific time of their arrival. 'Heliacal' means the specific stars appear with the sun on the horizon. So people on shore could do all the solar and lunar they liked. ''We sail with that!'' Would have been the end on the conversation.

Advertisement