Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ruling Needed?

Options
  • 10-12-2019 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

Had a funny moment on the course in the middle of a stableford competition on sunday last.

My drive flew into heavy rough, the top of the ball could be seen and was playable.
    As it was so deep I took out a wedge and made sure I carried through the rough to give the ball best chance of clearing out to the shorter grass.

I swung and two balls popped out. I did not see the other ball as it was well buried (ironically it went further than the ball I was trying to play). What is the rulling in this case? The other ball did not belong to another member of my 4 ball so it was effectively a lost ball, does it have the same status as any other object at that point? Or do I encur a penalty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's as if you hit a loose stone.

If you called your own ball as found and played it, it's business as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I guess it would depend on which ball you hit first...did you identify your ball before you hit it (in which case you 100% hit your own ball first) or is it possible that you hit the other ball and then your own ball?

Strange one, would be worth checking the decisions or sending a mail to randa (not that it will probably ever happen again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Hit my ball and two balls came out. Just pocket the extra ball and count yourself one up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

No penalty as you played the correct ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Hit my ball and two balls came out. Just pocket the extra ball and count yourself one up. :D

was going to say that i'm pretty sure i read a very similar instance on here a short while ago. might have been yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

There was a decision on this in the old Decisions Book that can probably still be looked up, can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was no penalty and play it as it lies.
    No idea where its covered in the new rules but I'd imagine with their focus on simplicity and fairness, there's no penalty.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    No penalty as you played the correct ball.

6.3.c
    Says
    "A player must not make a stroke at a wrong ball."
    So what matters is which ball was hit first.
    If he hit the wrong ball first, then arguably its a penalty.

GreeBo wrote: »
    6.3.c
    Says
    "A player must not make a stroke at a wrong ball."
    So what matters is which ball was hit first.
    If he hit the wrong ball first, then arguably its a penalty.

But he didn't make a stroke at the wrong ball. He made a stroke at his ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I didn't see the other ball until after I hit it.
    They were both hit at the same time (same swing)

willabur wrote: »

Something similar happened to me a while back.

You play on with your own ball without penalty. There is absolutely NO WAY you or anyone could ever determine that you hit the other ball first.

• Advertisement

willabur wrote: »

Did you identify the first ball as your ball before you hit it or assumed it was yours since thats where you hit yours?

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    But he didn't make a stroke at the wrong ball. He made a stroke at his ball.

OP hasnt clarified yet whether or not he actually identified the ball that he could see the top of as his ball...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

GreeBo wrote: »
    OP hasnt clarified yet whether or not he actually identified the ball that he could see the top of as his ball...

It was definitely my ball, its one of the Callaway tru-viz balls so quite distinctive in itself. Right number, right location etc. the other ball was a fully white titleist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

No penalty. You made a swipe at your own ball after identifying it.

Advertisement