Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Capital Gains Tax Query

• 06-12-2019 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ smndly

Hi all, So ive realised €788 profit on sale of shares this year. Im sitting on some other shares which are currently profitable and I want to continue to hold them.

Does it make sense if I sell some shares to bring my realised profits up to €1270 before the 31st of December and then just rebuy the shares next year?

Is there a limit on how quickly I can rebuy the shares? For example can I sell some shares today and realise €400 profit bringing me up towards 1270 and rebuy those same shares tomorrow?

TIA!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭ Millionaire only not

smndly wrote: »
    Hi all, So ive realised €788 profit on sale of shares this year. Im sitting on some other shares which are currently profitable and I want to continue to hold them.

Does it make sense if I sell some shares to bring my realised profits up to €1270 before the 31st of December and then just rebuy the shares next year?

Is there a limit on how quickly I can rebuy the shares? For example can I sell some shares today and realise €400 profit bringing me up towards 1270 and rebuy those same shares tomorrow?

TIA!

Yes u are spot on , just run it by ur accountant for sake of phone call as they will be doing ur returns

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ Mach 3

smndly wrote: »

TIA!

Check out the term bed and breakfast.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/cgt-on-sale-of-shares-bed-and-breakfast-rules.208636/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭ Millionaire only not

OSI wrote: »
    Why would you bother your nut hiring an accountant to do your tax return for the sake of share sales that didn’t even realise a tax liability, you’d lose most of the profits you made for something that would take you 10 minutes.

Mine would be fired in with all the rest of my stuff , I wudnt have time for trivial things like that !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ tesla38

As a Revenue online user do I need to register separately for CGT tax?
    Thanks

Advertisement