Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Capital Gains Tax Query

Options
  • 06-12-2019 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi all, So ive realised €788 profit on sale of shares this year. Im sitting on some other shares which are currently profitable and I want to continue to hold them.

Does it make sense if I sell some shares to bring my realised profits up to €1270 before the 31st of December and then just rebuy the shares next year?

Is there a limit on how quickly I can rebuy the shares? For example can I sell some shares today and realise €400 profit bringing me up towards 1270 and rebuy those same shares tomorrow?

TIA!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

smndly wrote: »
    Hi all, So ive realised €788 profit on sale of shares this year. Im sitting on some other shares which are currently profitable and I want to continue to hold them.

Does it make sense if I sell some shares to bring my realised profits up to €1270 before the 31st of December and then just rebuy the shares next year?

Is there a limit on how quickly I can rebuy the shares? For example can I sell some shares today and realise €400 profit bringing me up towards 1270 and rebuy those same shares tomorrow?

TIA!

Yes u are spot on , just run it by ur accountant for sake of phone call as they will be doing ur returns

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

smndly wrote: »

TIA!

Check out the term bed and breakfast.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/cgt-on-sale-of-shares-bed-and-breakfast-rules.208636/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

OSI wrote: »
    Why would you bother your nut hiring an accountant to do your tax return for the sake of share sales that didn’t even realise a tax liability, you’d lose most of the profits you made for something that would take you 10 minutes.

Mine would be fired in with all the rest of my stuff , I wudnt have time for trivial things like that !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tesla38

As a Revenue online user do I need to register separately for CGT tax?
    Thanks

Advertisement