Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW F30 320D as first car

Options
  • 05-12-2019 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Does a used 150K-ish Miles used 2012 BMW F30 320D as a first car make sense (Budget 8-9K)?
    I just got my full license and looking to get my first car.. My daily commute would be from city centre to citywest Business Park.
    I've read many horror stories about the DPF issues, if not enough highway usage done with a diesel car, and many articles suggest a highway run of 30-40 minutes once in a fortnight to avoid any potential DPF issues.
    Would I get any DPF issues with the above commute ?

And any other potential issues to look out for specific to 320D or F30 in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

think there was a link to a 330e for not much more, would have one of them over a diesel every day of the week. Will try find link for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you priced insurance?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    think there was a link to a 330e for not much more, would have one of them over a diesel every day of the week. Will try find link for you...

Not much more then 9k? A 330e :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Why bother. Just chalk it up as 3k!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Unless you're doing 20-25k km per year get a petrol. Hen's teeth but I wouldn't settle if I could make the choice again. Import if needed.

I've had an E90 320i and now an F30 320d.
    I just barely get better mileage (mid 30s) in the diesel, because my commute is only 10k each way. Also 38 more horses.
    And that's using miles plus and driving with what I would consider "medium" BMW aggressiveness.

By contrast 116d ED averaged 55mpg.

Issues to look out for with F30
    Door seals will make annoying sounds. Easily fixed with a tube of lubricant from bimmer "gummi pfledge"
    On my driver door the little locking knob is loose in its housing and rattles like hell. Probably also easily fixed.
    Mine only 2017 and 42k km but had steering angle sensor fail. Covered under warranty.

It's a BMW. Set aside some cash for these sort of things that WILL, not may, break.

• Advertisement

here is the thread, sorry from around 16k ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111943044

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

Getting quotes around 2200-2400

sdanseo wrote: »
    Unless you're doing 20-25k km per year get a petrol. Hen's teeth but I wouldn't settle if I could make the choice again. Import if needed.

I've had an E90 320i and now an F30 320d.
    I just barely get better mileage (mid 30s) in the diesel, because my commute is only 10k each way. Also 38 more horses.
    And that's using miles plus and driving with what I would consider "medium" BMW aggressiveness.

By contrast 116d ED averaged 55mpg.

Issues to look out for with F30
    Door seals will make annoying sounds. Easily fixed with a tube of lubricant from bimmer "gummi pfledge"
    On my driver door the little locking knob is loose in its housing and rattles like hell. Probably also easily fixed.
    Mine only 2017 and 42k km but had steering angle sensor fail. Covered under warranty.

It's a BMW. Set aside some cash for these sort of things that WILL, not may, break.

E90 is too old now and way too many issues with that engine. I was actually hoping to get a golf 1.4TSI around that price, but none available right now. So the F30 320d seemed like a good option, is modern enough and Also within budget with a bulletproof engine.

here is the thread, sorry from around 16k ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111943044

That’s wayyyy over my budget at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Getting quotes around 2200-2400

Get a qoute on an Audi A4 , a lot more insurance friendly and a better car too, especially for reliability.

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »
    Get a qoute on an Audi A4 , a lot more insurance friendly and a better car too, especially for reliability.

Similar quotes but my main concern is, would my type of usage damage a diesel car and will I be getting okish Fuel economy

id be wary of a car with 150k miles on it, not because its over a hundred thousand miles and Irish people think they self destruct at 100k! But the sheer amount of stuff that may need attention with that kind of mileage, suspension related, gaskets etc. I personally think you would be mad to touch diesel and i wouldnt go for a manual either!

if insurance is very pricey, Id be shopping around and see if some cars offer far better value than others from insurance point of view. Would you consider a merc? my insurance went down when I went from bmw to merc.

id be wary of a car with 150k miles on it, not because its over a hundred thousand miles and Irish people think they self destruct at 100k! But the sheer amount of stuff that may need attention with that kind of mileage, suspension related, gaskets etc. I personally think you would be mad to touch diesel and i wouldnt go for a manual either!

if insurance is very pricey, Id be shopping around and see if some cars offer far better value than others from insurance point of view. Would you consider a merc? my insurance went down when I went from bmw to merc.

I’m getting similar insurance quotes for any make/ model within 120-140hp.
    Let me check for any mercs within that price range.

Why should I stay away from the manuals?
    I thought the automatic gearboxes might be less reliable over the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

I have driven BMWs for the last 12 years, bought as 1 year olds and then driven for 3 - 4 years, full BMW service history and 15k km / year. I have been fairly lucky that I never had any problems. However, one lad who bought my E92 had a lot of issues with it, timing chain and air con being the 2 big ones. Even though he got the car for really good price he ended up shelling out approx €4k over 2 years.

Just be wary, BMWs may be expensive, but that extra cost doesn't translate into better reliability. Same goes for cars with high mileage, parts will eventually wear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dacia duster?

Dacia duster?

Looking for a sedan or a hatchback. I don’t think I would be too comfortable with such a big car since I just got my license.

Bottle wrote: »
    I have driven BMWs for the last 12 years, bought as 1 year olds and then driven for 3 - 4 years, full BMW service history and 15k km / year. I have been fairly lucky that I never had any problems. However, one lad who bought my E92 had a lot of issues with it, timing chain and air con being the 2 big ones. Even though he got the car for really good price he ended up shelling out approx €4k over 2 years.

Just be wary, BMWs may be expensive, but that extra cost doesn't translate into better reliability. Same goes for cars with high mileage, parts will eventually wear out.

Yea all I can see in my budget are all high mileage. 100k miles +

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Looking for a sedan or a hatchback. I don’t think I would be too comfortable with such a big car since I just got my license.

Renault Megane get you going look at gt line, nice yokes...

How are Audi A5 1.8 TFSI?
    Car price around 5000
    Insurance around 2200.

• Advertisement

How are Audi A5 1.8 TFSI?
    Car price around 5000
    Insurance around 2200.

The insurance is insane. I’d look to compensate by buying something that will have very little depreciation left

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The insurance is insane. I’d look to compensate by buying something that will have very little depreciation left

Insurance on my first car (a 1998 Rover 400) after I got my full licence was €2,000 back in 2004. The car only cost €2,500!

OP, I would advise against buying a diesel given your commute. You'll spend a lot of time in traffic which does not suit a diesel. DPF issues will be on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To put it into context, I’m paying €700 but got quotes of twice that, and I have 20 years no claims. €2200 isn’t insane for a first car which isn’t a 1.0 Yaris.

To put it into context, I’m paying €700 but got quotes of twice that, and I have 20 years no claims. €2200 isn’t insane for a first car which isn’t a 1.0 Yaris.

Stop Showing off your NCB man!!

There seems to be some issue with chill.ie. Last night I was getting a quote for the A5 for EUR2200, but now it says, they won't be able to give a quote now.

Fishy..:confused:

That will result me in buying a ****box with 100-150k miles, which would require to visit the garage, every other day..
    I'd rather pay a few thousand extra for a good car rather than a cheapo car and drive with a scare that something would fall off every time I drive it..

That will result me in buying a ****box with 100-150k miles, which would require to visit the garage, every other day..
    I'd rather pay a few thousand extra for a good car rather than a cheapo car and drive with a scare that something would fall off every time I drive it..

But in your op you ask about a 150k mile car ..

But in your op you ask about a 150k mile car ..

Yes, I was asking if buying a high mileage 320d makes sense for my usage, but it apparently doesn't now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭quokula

A 320D is longer than a duster and the same width.

If it's a first car, and you're predominantly driving in the city, you're probably better off with a hatchback - you could get something much newer and lower mileage for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i think save your money, buy a bangernomic car and run it for the year. Once your insurance goes down next year, hopefully, then splash out on a nice car
    I also think avoid diesel no matter the car you buy
    I drive an 08 e90 320i
    its a sub 5k car, 390 to tax for the year, i renewed insurance recently foor under 500 and i get 35mpg
    been a reliable car so far

• Advertisement

Exactly my current thinking right now..

Advertisement