Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was I right?

Options
  • 05-12-2019 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

So today I went to Pennys to get a new pair of jocks. There was a middle aged lady in the menswear section talking loudly on a speakerphone in either Polish or Latvian etc. She seemed oblivious to the rest of the store and I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing, in fact I couldn't even hear myself think. So I went over to her and said excuse me, and took the phone out of her hand and hung up the phone and handed it back to her. She immediately started screaming at me, calling it assault and threatened to ring the guards. I knew I had the wrong thing done then so I exited the store briskly. hence no jocks. It just annoyed me that some people think they are the only person the planet and have no consideration of others. Should I have done what I did?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

How hard do you need to think to buy underwear?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Would you have done it if it was an 18 stone Polish/Latvian bodybuilder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Very hard

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You did wha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Depends how bad your current Jocks are:P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

where was ur consideration dude?
    she cudv been ordering pizza or or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Do you need to “converse” with your underwear?

They have pictures on the “packaging”, along with a, sort of, drawn outline showing the type of boxers they are.

You shouldn’t really be having any difficulty here and you certainly shouldn’t be “accosting” other, potential, shop customers.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Tonight, on “Things that Never Happened”..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

When i get to the check-out at my local 'Little store' [ i won't name them] I have found the staff member are having a conversation with someone on their ear piece while checking the items, I find this a bit ignorant.

• Advertisement

decky1 wrote: »
    When i get to the check-out at my local 'Little store' [ i won't name them] I have found the staff member are having a conversation with someone on their ear piece while checking the items, I find this a bit ignorant.

Cryptic comment of the year. I wouldn't mind that too much, they are just staff having chat trying to get through the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You both sound wrong. You don’t know why she was speaking loudly due to the language barrier. What if she was receiving bad news?

She was wrong to say you assaulted her. But you did invade her personal space which isn’t illegal but isn’t cool. Nobody is coming out of this story well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ooooooh! Matron!

You both sound wrong. You don’t know why she was speaking loudly due to the language barrier. What if she was receiving bad news?

She was wrong to say you assaulted her. But you did invade her personal space which isn’t illegal but isn’t cool. Nobody is coming out of this story well.

She didn't look like she was receiving bad news, if she did she wouldn't have been looking at clothes whilst doing so for several minutes. But anyway, I did what I did, probably shouldn't but I felt I needed to make a point, probably went in one ear and out the other. To the people who say I should have been able to shop for a pair of boxers regardless, shopping is an endeavour that requires concentration, comparing prices etc when there is someone buzzing in your ear whilst trying to come to rational conclusion aint that easy, you should try it sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

So today I went to Pennys to get a new pair of jocks. There was a middle aged lady in the menswear section talking loudly on a speakerphone in either Polish or Latvian etc. She seemed oblivious to the rest of the store and I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing...

She could have been speaking to someone who is hard of hearing. Could have been doing them a good turn in that department at that moment.

Does the fact that she was speaking a foreign language make it worse for you ? What would that say about you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

She didn't look like she was receiving bad news, if she did she wouldn't have been looking at clothes whilst doing so for several minutes. But anyway, I did what I did, probably shouldn't but I felt I needed to make a point, probably went in one ear and out the other. To the people who say I should have been able to shop for a pair of boxers regardless, shopping is an endeavour that requires concentration, comparing prices etc when there is someone buzzing in your ear whilst trying to come to rational conclusion aint that easy, you should try it sometime

Do you think people have never shopped before? An incredibly quotidian activity.

In public, there are many variables you can’t control. Better to learn to not be such a delicate doily.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Penneys selling Scotsmen in two's? That's a new one.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If she was causing a genuine disturbance then it would be up to the shop staff to have a word with her, not you. Your action, if indeed it really happened, was just dickish imo.

She could have been speaking to someone who is hard of hearing. Could have been doing them a good turn in that department at that moment.

Does the fact that she was speaking a foreign language make it worse for you ? What would that say about you ?

That I'm racist? No I don't think so. Its a pet hate of mine people talking loudly and being inconsiderate, in fact I think the conversation would have annoyed me even more could I understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So today I went to Pennys to get a new pair of jocks. There was a middle aged lady in the menswear section talking loudly on a speakerphone in either Polish or Latvian etc. She seemed oblivious to the rest of the store and I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing, in fact I couldn't even hear myself think. So I went over to her and said excuse me, and took the phone out of her hand and hung up the phone and handed it back to her. She immediately started screaming at me, calling it assault and threatened to ring the guards. I knew I had the wrong thing done then so I exited the store briskly. hence no jocks. It just annoyed me that some people think they are the only person the planet and have no consideration of others. Should I have done what I did?

Why da fcuk do people think that other people need to hear what the person that they are talking to on the phone is sayin' back to them.

Whether you did, or didn't do, what you say you did, I would bet there are many who would like to just do what you said you did.

It's bad enough having to listen to one loud ass cnut without having to listen to two loud ass cnuts.

Speaker phone use should be banned in public places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

Another sad made up story on boreds.ie. there was a woman on the phone talking loudly so i couldnt concentrate on buying my jocks.mother of god! Go out and meet real people!

Another sad made up story on boreds.ie. there was a woman on the phone talking loudly so i couldnt concentrate on buying my jocks.mother of god! Go out and meet real people!

Why would you think I made this up? Its quite a common scenario. But its up to you believe what you want to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would you have done that on public transport or in a pub, you'd probably get a punch.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Would you have done that on public transport or in a pub, you'd probably get a punch.

Good point, but those are different settings with people doing different things, so probably not. But I would still be annoyed at obnoxious behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Would you have done it if it was an 18 stone Polish/Latvian bodybuilder?

This.

No of course you shouldn't have done that.

You did perfectly right. Anyone out in public with a phonecall on loudspeaker should be punched in the face repeatedly actually.

Always wear headphones in public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

No, you were wrong

wrong for starting this abomonation of a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Last night I was at my local supermarket and wanted to buy two frozen pizzas for a quick dinner.
    The Freezer in the store is about 10 metres long and was full with many different kinds and brands of pizza. I was trying to concentrate on what I would have liked the most and was walking up and down along the the freezer looking at them all.
    There was a woman speaking on her phone (no speakerphone or earpiece, just phone) and was walking up down along the same freezer, but she wasn't looking for anything in it, just walking while speaking. And she was constantly on my way.
    She was speaking my same language, in fact I was catching her whole conversation.
    I was really annoyed by her behaviour, she could have had her conversation in another spot of the large store.

It's not the language, it's how some people are disrespectful to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Good point, but those are different settings with people doing different things, so probably not. But I would still be annoyed at obnoxious behaviour

The obnoxious behaviour was you.

Advertisement