Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords rights

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

mollycasey wrote:
    So I gave them what they were owed minus the deductions and I then found out yesterday that they never paid an electricity bill for the time they were in the house. Any ideas how I can get this back?

If its in their name its nothing to do with you its between them and the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mollycasey

If its in their name its nothing to do with you its between them and the company.

They never transferred the account over. Electric Ireland have it on their system the date I closed the account and when I spoke to them yesterday they advised the tenants never contacted them or another supplier to take the account. I have no idea why they didn’t cut it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

mollycasey wrote: »
    They never transferred the account over. Electric Ireland have it on their system the date I closed the account and when I spoke to them yesterday they advised the tenants never contacted them or another supplier to take the account. I have no idea why they didn’t cut it off.

Did you receive the final bill when you closed the account? Give EI their new address, I’m sure you had it on your lease agreement that they were responsible for utilities.

I know you are getting advice here to give them nothing/you owe them nothing. But you and the posters should bare in mind, they had no obligation to move, you had no right to make them move during their term lease. So they have been discommoded in order that you move back in. They deserve the money you are giving them, they could have exercised their rights, that could have cost you a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd make a complaint about the supplier also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

beauf wrote: »
    I'd make a complaint about the supplier also.

Look at the bigger picture, how much electricity can be used in the period of time they were there? Draw a line under it. If the tenant dug their heals in and stopped paying because the owner was trying to force them out, a small electricity bill would be inconsequential.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seriously- clock it down to experience, you're unlikely to get satisfaction if you go chasing them. Its not worth the headwreck. If they do play silly buggers with you- its simply another item in your arsenal to use against them- however, for now, I'd park it, take the pain of the bill and move on- a little wiser.

Sometimes you have to choose your battles- and I'd suggest that this simply isn't one of them.

Personally I don't know how people are so fast to let things slide. That's why this goes on as people like these know they won't be followed up for it, if everyone followed up all the time then people would think twice about it.

Even if you don't want to put too much effort into it just make up a few things to try scare them. Tell them you are in contact with the RTB in relation to the house who fell its a clear cut case in your favour and are in contact the guards in relation to not paying the ESB as that's theft and they are very interested in following it up. Offer to drop the cases if they pay up for the bill and pay over x amount of money to tidy up the house.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Look at the bigger picture, how much electricity can be used in the period of time they were there? Draw a line under it. If the tenant dug their heals in and stopped paying because the owner was trying to force them out, a small electricity bill would be inconsequential.

Making a complaint cost nothing.

Suppliers have a habit of doing this. Transferring a tenants debt to the LL, and as in this case allowing a tenant to rack up bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Personally I don't know how people are so fast to let things slide. That's why this goes on as people like these know they won't be followed up for it, if everyone followed up all the time then people would think twice about it.

Even if you don't want to put too much effort into it just make up a few things to try scare them. Tell them you are in contact with the RTB in relation to the house who fell its a clear cut case in your favour and are in contact the guards in relation to not paying the ESB as that's theft and they are very interested in following it up. Offer to drop the cases if they pay up for the bill and pay over x amount of money to tidy up the house.

Maybe the OP should let it go on this occasion. The tenants had a 1 year lease & could have insisted on staying put & the op would have had the hassle of finding somewhere else to live plus all the costs of that. A small electricity bill plus the cost of buying out the tenants interest in the lease...OP was lucky to get this sorted so quickly imo.

You have to look at as a business and certain amount bad debts are inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I believe once you furnish the letting contract to the electrical supply company... as far as I know it's not your problem..

Advertisement