Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can old circulating pump be replaced?

Options
  • 03-12-2019 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi
    my old (1970's?) Myson circulating pump died overnight. It uses old, old, connectors and is plumbed into gun barrel iron central heating pipes. Two bolts connect the pump to the cutoff valves/connectors(?) on either side. As I have just discovered new pumps don't seem use these connectors anymore...

Does anyone know if there are any pumps available with these old connections?

Or, are there adaptors/flanges available to connect it to a newer pump?

All help appreciated!

I have been googling but haven't had much luck, and I'm not sure what I am looking for :-(
    Needless to say that my whole central heating should have been replaced years ago, but life intervened and that is not a runner right now..

Any advice or pointers appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

This type?
    496727.jpg
    I don't know the answer to your question. I just googled this to clarify your question.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 18 RandomAvatar

thanks! will see if any of those lead to a suitable pump!! by the pics above the first couple look similar
    much appreciated

Edit: not having much luck, all of those seem to be for the US (110v) and can't seem to find any in Ireland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

even if you cant get like for like any plumber should be able to thread the old pipe work and fit a modern pump for you

sounds like your old pump has flange type connections

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Post up a pic of the plate on the pump.

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Post up a pic of the plate on the pump.

Will do shortly, cant figure out how to do it on my phone

• Advertisement

Select reply, click on attach file at bottom left of screen, select camera, take picture, select tick top right ect post

you don't have enough posts to allow you post pics yet

min posts are 50 I think

Just put up the make number on the pump and if it's threaded pipe what size and the type of connection to pump.

Just put up the make number on the pump and if it's threaded pipe what size and the type of connection to pump.

It’s a Myson, no model number visible

The oval Flanges(?) connecting to the pipes are approx 4.1” / 105mm across the widest part and the two bolts are approx 81mm centre to centre

It’s a Myson, no model number visible

The oval Flanges(?) connecting to the pipes are approx 4.1” / 105mm across the widest part and the two bolts are approx 81mm centre to centre

The pipe is approx 1.25 inches external diameter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Best to drain and convert to standard type valves. Not a hard job for someone decent

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Best to drain and convert to standard type valves. Not a hard job for someone decent

Two plumbers have said no so far, although one of them was kind enough to say that they would come out if I would replace the whole boiler... sadly that is just not an option for me.

Issue appears to be having to cut out the flanges and then cut threads into the iron pipes to be able to connect a modern pump fitting. Not much space around the return pipe as flange is close to the back of the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Two plumbers have said no so far, although one of them was kind enough to say that they would come out if I would replace the whole boiler... sadly that is just not an option for me.

Issue appears to be having to cut out the flanges and then cut threads into the iron pipes to be able to connect a modern pump fitting. Not much space around the return pipe as flange is close to the back of the boiler.

Needs a pict really

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Needs a pict really

Cannot post pic or link because I am a new user, just tried

Cannot post pic or link because I am a new user, just tried

Upload it to Dropbox or similar and either link to it or pm the link to me.

You need something like this and a pump.

You need something like this and a pump.

Great thanks, looks like they could work. Do you know if they are available in Ireland? or can you give me any idea where to get them?

No not in Ireland but few places in UK
    Search Google
    "grundfos pump flange kit uk"

https://www.colglo.co.uk/productlist.php?category=Grundfos_Pumps_Unions_Valves_and_Flanges

If you don't have any wiggle room with those pipe's you might want to take the pump out. Take it and get a pump with a smaller diameter and bring it all over to your local engineering place to get them to make you up an adaptor plate to connect to the flanges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

Can you install a new pump in a different location?

tippgod wrote: »
    Can you install a new pump in a different location?

Possibly - bit of room around the outflow pipe that comes up from the top of the boiler before it goes through the wall.

Might need to be supported I would guess if a pump is up there. In that case could I just leave the old pump where it is and not remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭elgicko

Call PH Ross on old cabra road, they will help you out, or point you in right direction with fittings and new pump. Better still, go into then if your in Dublin. (Good bunch of lads)

System will have to be drained. Electrics will be same.

https://www.plumbingproducts.ie/524-gun-barrel-gb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The valves are ancient and leaking. Take the advice of several plumbers on here and replace both. Because I can guarantee you the new pump won’t last 40+ years.

Hi

the valves are ancient but they are not leaking, if it looks like that on the photo it is because I sprayed them with WD40 because I wanted to see if I could take off the head of the pump in case it was something simple like a loose wire.

Anyway they closed ok, and I took the head off the pump... lovely smell of burnt windings :rolleyes: some leakage but manageable.

I agree that the valves should be changed (along with pipes and the boiler) but I just can't do that right now. To be honest, all I care about is getting through this winter.

Pull off the pump and bring it into a few places to see if you can find a head to match up with the body. You might get lucky.

Myson Dual Speed Circulating Pump Oval Flanged U2A252 is the pump you have . Where you are going to find one I don't know.
    https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Pompe-de-chaudiere-circulateur-MYSON-UNIT-THREE-occasion-garantie-1/123830683416?hash=item1cd4e24718:g:aLsAAOSw7Vhaop5R

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Pompe-de-chaudiere-circulateur-MYSON-UNIT-TWO-Neuve-1/401809739166?hash=item5d8dba0d9e:g:1HIAAOSwMm1a4bD9

This head might fit. You would need to find out and make sure the body of yours is in good nick.

as we all know here valves turn off ok

but leak when turned back on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Myson Dual Speed Circulating Pump Oval Flanged U2A252 is the pump you have . Where you are going to find one I don't know.

This head might fit. You would need to find out and make sure the body of yours is in good nick.

The head might fit, but the impeller can be totally different and render the head useless.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The head might fit, but the impeller can be totally different and render the head useless.

Maybe, contact the seller in the link and op could find out or get one of the other flanged pumps he has. He might have the same one as op. Or op could as everyone else has suggested and get someone in to change over to a new pump. I know if it was me and I was two days without heat or electric I would be willing to try almost anything as a stop gap. Op might be able to get fittings that he could fit to existing pipe thread and convert to standard.

Advertisement