Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Farah to defend Olympic 10k title

  • 30-11-2019 7:10pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ Ceepo


    So 2 years after retiring from the track Mo Farah decides to head back to the track.

    https://t.co/7LQbfSBAcE

    “I decided after Chicago, not straight away, but it was on my mind,” said Farah, who confirmed he would not attempt to double up in the 5,000m. “I was watching the world championship in Doha. I watched the 10,000m, and I watch other races, and part of you gets excited.

    To qualify for the 10,000m in Tokyo, Farah will need to run 27min 28sec by 21 June. However he does not have to compete at the Night of the 10k PBs in Highgate in June, which doubles as the official British trial.

    It will be interesting to see if he retains his same coach in the lead up to the Olympic's.

    Hope his doorbell is working and UKA medical record keeping has improved.


«13

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ BDI


    Wouldn’t it be great if he was caught out this time when he could have retired.


  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ Unthought Known


    BDI wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be great if he was caught out this time when he could have retired.

    Caught out on what this time?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭ IvoryTower


    Caught out on what this time?

    Salazars special massage I assume


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ Ceepo


    IvoryTower wrote: »
    Salazars special massage I assume

    Or could be referring to the un -recorded amount L-carnitine infusion he had on instruction of Salazar, or why he was using Calcitonin or Thyroxine off prescription


  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭ yerwanthere123


    Hoping we won't be seeing him on the podium in Tokyo tbh. And at 37 years of age I think he'd had his work cut out for him? The likes of Cheptegei and Kejelcha will hardly allow a slow pace and have him there at the bell. Anyway, long way to go before then.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ Ceepo


    One plus of Farah moving back to the 10k is Callum Hawkins should get an automatic spot for the Olympic marathon, without having to run London to be selected..


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭ MY BAD




  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭ average_runner




  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭ Itziger


    Imagine defending this dialogue..........


    Farah was questioned by Usada officials for nearly five hours - and Panorama has obtained a transcript of that interview.

    Asked specifically and multiple times whether he had an L-carnitine injection before the London Marathon, Farah repeatedly denied it.

    He was asked: "If someone said that you were taking L-carnitine injections, are they not telling the truth?"

    Farah said: "Definitely not telling the truth, 100%. I've never taken L-carnitine injections at all."

    He is then asked: "Are you sure that Alberto Salazar hasn't recommended that you take L-carnitine injections?"

    Farah responds: "No, I've never taken L-carnitine injections."

    He is asked again: "You're absolutely sure that you didn't have a doctor put a butterfly needle… into your arm… and inject L-carnitine a few days before the London marathon?"

    Farah says: "No. No chance."

    We have learned that minutes after the interview, Farah then met Fudge, who had been interviewed by Usada the day before.

    Farah then rushed back in as the investigators were packing up. He changed his account.

    Farah tells Usada: "So I just wanted to come clear, sorry guys, and I did take it at the time and I thought I didn't…"

    He is asked: "So you received L-carnitine… before the London marathon?"

    Farah answers: "Yeah."

    He adds: "There was a lot of talk before… and Alberto's always thinking about 'What's the best thing?' 'What's the best thing?'"

    The Usada investigator says "… a few days before the race… with… Alberto present and your doctor and Barry Fudge and you're telling us all about that now but you didn't remember any of that when I… kept asking you about this?"

    Farah responds: "It all comes back for me, but at the time I didn't remember."

    Mo Farah declined to be interviewed by Panorama.

    In a letter, Farah's lawyers said: "It is not against [Wada rules] rules to take [L-carnitine] as a supplement within the right quantities.

    "The fact some people might hold views as to whether this is within the 'spirit' of the sport is irrelevant.

    "Mr Farah… is one of the most tested athletes in the UK, if not the world, and has been required to fill in numerous doping forms. He is a human being and not robot.

    "Interviews are not memory tests. Mr Farah understood the question one way and as soon as he left the room he asked Mr Fudge and immediately returned… to clarify and it is plain the investigators were comfortable with this explanation."


    No Farah.


  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭ yerwanthere123


    I'll give this a watch tonight. I wonder what else Mo has "forgotten" about :pac:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭ skyblue46


    I'll give this a watch tonight. I wonder what else Mo has "forgotten" about :pac:

    He forgot what his doorbell sounds like....


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭ YFlyer


    Documentary on the bbc tonight

    What time?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭ Lazare


    YFlyer wrote: »
    What time?

    8.30, BBC1


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭ and still ricky villa


    Itziger wrote: »
    Imagine defending this dialogue..........




    "Mr Farah… is one of the most tested athletes in the UK, if not the world

    Wasn't there another guy who used that defence? And he was definitely innocent


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭ YFlyer


    YFlyer wrote: »
    What time?

    Thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭ Needs Must


    His legacy will be forever tainted after Salazar was exposed.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭ BarryD2


    Lazare wrote: »
    8.30, BBC1

    If the Beeb are after him, you'd think the PR game is up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭ YFlyer


    Lazare wrote: »
    8.30, BBC1

    Anyway can one watch this online from outside the UK?


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭ NIMAN


    He can claim all he likes, in my mind he'll always be a drugs cheat.

    Pity he wasn't caught officially.

    Will always be a British athletics hero despite his shady past.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭ Jizique


    skyblue46 wrote: »
    He forgot what his doorbell sounds like....

    How does he get away with it?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ Ceepo


    Jizique wrote: »
    How does he get away with it?

    Simple really.....
    He is clean. ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭ OOnegative


    Like Ms Pedcliffe, he never tested positive so will be forever a glorified hero to the Beeb commentators and the like.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭ skyblue46


    Jizique wrote: »
    How does he get away with it?

    In that case he produced a video which showed if he was in his bedroom on the third floor, there was a step machine on the go on the second floor, the radio was on at first floor level it was hard to hear the bell...so he was only charged with negligence rather than evasion...


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭ robinph


    Felt it was missing the knockout blow we were promised.

    Athletes are all idiots, Magness, Goucher, other Goucher, other female who's name I forgot and Farah all said they they were given injections of stuff which they had no idea about what it was and why and never really seemed that bothered at the time. They had all been "groomed" to just do whatever the Dr/ coach told them without question.

    Not saying Farah is innocent, just more idiotic than the others for staying with Salazar.

    I don't get how the GMC bought the UK team doctors excuse around forgetting to write up what he did, or happened to have forgotten the emails which he'd been sending about sourcing some drug from Switzerland from someone they didn't use before and that he was forgetful when doing the strange dosing of Farah the week before London Marathon in a hotel room infront of Salazar. That is not odd for a doctor to be doing in the slightest.

    I can belive Farah had no idea what was going on as that what the system has programed him to be. Don't for a second trust the doctor for being such an idiot though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭ cmac2009


    robinph wrote: »
    Felt it was missing the knockout blow we were promised.

    Athletes are all idiots, Magness, Goucher, other Goucher, other female who's name I forgot and Farah all said they they were given injections of stuff which they had no idea about what it was and why and never really seemed that bothered at the time. They had all been "groomed" to just do whatever the Dr/ coach told them without question.

    Not saying Farah is innocent, just more idiotic than the others for staying with Salazar.

    I don't get how the GMC bought the UK team doctors excuse around forgetting to write up what he did, or happened to have forgotten the emails which he'd been sending about sourcing some drug from Switzerland from someone they didn't use before and that he was forgetful when doing the strange dosing of Farah the week before London Marathon in a hotel room infront of Salazar. That is not odd for a doctor to be doing in the slightest.

    I can belive Farah had no idea what was going on as that what the system has programed him to be. Don't for a second trust the doctor for being such an idiot though.

    Not sure the word believe and Farah should be used in the same sentence. You can give a person the benefit of the doubt once or twice, but he's been consistently caught lying over the years. He clearly has something to hide, really hope some irrefutable evidence comes to light at some stage.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭ robinph


    Murph_D wrote: »
    However if athletes are not in fact idiots, the above does not hold water.

    Besides, is there something in the rules that says if you don’t know what’s going on, you’re exempt to the rules? Some sort of plausible deniability defence?

    Nope, being an idiot isn't an excuse. But when the whistle blowers are admitting that they did exactly the same thing as Farah, took injections and drugs which they had zero idea about or even seemed to think of asking for the name of at the time, its a bit hypocritical of them to acuse Farah of being part of the conspiracy when they themselves did exactly the same idiocy in the past.

    The common theme is that the athletes are idiots and the coaches/ doctors are manipulative. That doesn't mean we give athletes a pass for being idiots, but we should also not be directing the blame solely at them for things they knew nothing about.


  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭ KSU


    robinph wrote: »

    I can belive Farah had no idea what was going on as that what the system has programed him to be. Don't for a second trust the doctor for being such an idiot though.

    For me the fact that his interview at weekend where he admitted to lying about Jama Aden as well as the USADA interview shows a consistent pattern of lying as well as the host of lies previously makes me less likely to give benefit of the doubt


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭ robinph


    cmac2009 wrote: »
    Not sure the word believe and Farah should be used in the same sentence. You can give a person the benefit of the doubt once or twice, but he's been consistently caught lying over the years. He clearly has something to hide, really hope some irrefutable evidence comes to light at some stage.

    Glad you are acknowledging that this was a long way from being some irrefutable evidence.

    It's certainly not a good look for Farah, but it's also not actually proof of anything much. Other than the doctor should have been struck off, Salazar has been up to dodgy practices for a long time and trying to see how far the lines can be pushed, and UKA are negligent in their care of their athletes in not removing their star player from the influence of dodgy doctors an coaches ASAP when previous evidence came out.

    If we are believing the whistle blowing athletes that they were innocently manipulated into doing dodgy activities though, then why do we suddenly have to think that Farah was somehow different from them and he knew exactly what was being given to him and or directing things himself?


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭ NIMAN


    I think the show was a letdown because it's entire premise was his use of a LEGAL supplement.

    Ok so he denied it then admitted to it, but it wasn't illegal to use it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭ KSU


    robinph wrote: »
    Glad you are acknowledging that this was a long way from being some irrefutable evidence.

    It's certainly not a good look for Farah, but it's also not actually proof of anything much. Other than the doctor should have been struck off, Salazar has been up to dodgy practices for a long time and trying to see how far the lines can be pushed, and UKA are negligent in their care of their athletes in not removing their star player from the influence of dodgy doctors an coaches ASAP when previous evidence came out.

    If we are believing the whistle blowing athletes that they were innocently manipulated into doing dodgy activities though, then why do we suddenly have to think that Farah was somehow different from them and he knew exactly what was being given to him and or directing things himself?

    There is a difference though between Nike Athletes who group up in US being moved into the group by sponsors and an athlete relocating half way around the world.

    Also Farah spent long periods in Kenya/Ethiopia training so would have had to have had more control over set up (or Barry Fudge and UKA though still differentiates)


Advertisement