Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vancouver hikes empty homes tax by 25 per cent - could Ireland learn from this?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Did you also have an Englishman wearing a top hat peering in periodically and tutting?

What is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Should triple or quadruple rates on empty business premises too, wouldn't be long before towns were rejuvenated.

Most towns are empty because councils allow large retail parks at the edge of towns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

elperello wrote: »
    What is your point?

Oh none, I was making a humorous observation, it was actually a common theme at the time for English reformers to come to Ireland and be shocked at the levels of rural poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Oh none, I was making a humorous observation, it was actually a common theme at the time for English reformers to come to Ireland and be shocked at the levels of rural poverty.

Oh sorry I misunderstood.
    I have a book that one of them wrote.
    We are forever marked by the events of the 1840's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Thats an important point but do cross reference it with two important facts; firstly that figure includes the north and secondly the peak figure in the 1841 census is thought to be around 9 million, with some measure of undercounting in certain areas.

Now the corollary to this is how many people would accept the housing standards of majority of the 19th century population, to which the answer is I suspect, not many.
    Of course.
    But if the laisse faire and agricultural economy of 19th century Ireland could support around 9m people here, then today's ecommerce and high density living can do better surely?
    The original argument was that we are over-populated, it's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Of course.
    But if the laisse faire and agricultural economy of 19th century Ireland could support around 9m people here, then today's ecommerce and high density living can do better surely?
    The original argument was that we are over-populated, it's nonsense.

Quite possibly, I suppose the logical counter argument is that when Ireland had 9-10 million people, Great Britain had around 20 million, today they manage about 60 million - granted, not perfectly and obviously there is the property crisis both our nations are facing, but still they seem to broadly manage it.

Advertisement