Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of stars moving across sky?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

HOE. LEE. CRAP.

I take it back. That was amazing. Didn't even venture further than the back garden. Gave myself ten minutes of dark adjustment time. Faced east (the darker direction) and looked up as high as I could. Forty sats passed through the zenith from 18:02 to 18:11 or so. Quite a sight! Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Slightly later for the main event tomorrow, 18:28 to 18:36 and sats not as high in the sky, around 70 degrees. Will make a difference in my suburban sky but should still be visible, weather allowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

ps200306 wrote: »
    HOE. LEE. CRAP.

I take it back. That was amazing. Didn't even venture further than the back garden. Gave myself ten minutes of dark adjustment time. Faced east (the darker direction) and looked up as high as I could. Forty sats passed through the zenith from 18:02 to 18:11 or so. Quite a sight! Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Slightly later for the main event tomorrow, 18:28 to 18:36 and sats not as high in the sky, around 70 degrees. Will make a difference in my suburban sky but should still be visible, weather allowing.

It was absolutely stunning to see them last night- I only saw them by accident and then checked here-I am conflicted by enjoying seeing them and then reading that there are eventually going to be thousands of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I would love to see this but too much cloud cover last night. Not looking good for this evening either.

baaba maal wrote: »
    It was absolutely stunning to see them last night- I only saw them by accident and then checked here-I am conflicted by enjoying seeing them and then reading that there are eventually going to be thousands of them.
    Same here. It's awesome seeing something that the ancients would have thought was a divine visitation had they seen it. But also, you know it's junk and there's going to be a lot more of it, and you definitely don't want it mucking up the view every night like a forest of celestial mobile masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Saw them this evening. It is indeed an impressive sight. Thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

What time tomorrow???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

What time tomorrow???
    0705-0710 tomorrow morning could be ok if still dark enough. Evening doesn't look as good for timing. Download the Heavens Above app as is mentioned above. You can add your location for exact predictions

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
    Jan. 29Falcon 9 • Starlink 3
    Launch time: 1406 GMT (9:06 a.m. EST)
    Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida
    A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is expected to launch the fourth batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 3. Delayed from Jan. 20 and Jan. 21. Scrubbed on Jan. 27 by upper level winds. [Jan. 27]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Im surprised people are so excited about this here, his fleet of satellites are going to ruin dark sky sites and astrophotography ...

It's kind of like those glitzy parades in Pyongyang. You can agree it's an amazing spectacle while still being filled with horror. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

It's kind of like those glitzy parades in Pyongyang. You can agree it's an amazing spectacle while still being filled with horror. :pac:

Excellent analogy!

Looking at 60 is "wow". Looking at 42,000 will be like the background to a JG Ballard novel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

_110800770_2-3-2020-st27.jpg

One Web / Airbus chucks up their first batch of 34 out of 648 satellites.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51405079

How many different "internets in the sky" do we actually need? :confused:

How many different "internets in the sky" do we actually need? :confused:

When advised not to become a lawyer because the profession was crowded Daniel Webster replied "There's always room at the top"

Advertisement