Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apparently it's Christmas.....

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

From today on I will tolerate Christmas, any thing before today I give out about, usually to myself mind.
    Christmas tree will go up in about 10 days time and it comes down just after new years day.
    I will now try to contain my spending on shi**e - I like the Christmas season, mostly, especially Christmas Eve, but the day itself
    is like, meh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Realtine wrote: »
    From today on I will tolerate Christmas, any thing before today I give out about, usually to myself mind.
    Christmas tree will go up in about 10 days time and it comes down just after new years day.
    I will now try to contain my spending on shi**e - I like the Christmas season, mostly, especially Christmas Eve, but the day itself
    is like, meh.

I prefer Christmas Eve and St Stephen's Day, Christmas day is almost always a bit anticlimactic and forced. Be worn out from cooking and rushing about in the week up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Happy Holidays!

Yester wrote: »
    Happy Holidays!

Get out....:D

Why is it that they only time of year you see that awful brand Lemon's sweets on the shelves is Christmas? Is there really any nostalgia for such vile muck when there's better things on offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Are Christmas songs cursed ???

Dean Martin and George Michael died on Christmas day
    Kirsty MacColl died in tragic circumstances near Christmas
    John Lennon was killed on dec 8th

No, I don't buy that. However it can be a bit of morbid fun to list artistes connected to Christmas songs who died around the Christmas period!

Greg Lake, who is associated this time of the year with I Believe in Father Christmas, died in December 2016. In fact, it was the same year as George Michael.

Rick Parfitt of Status Quo fame also died in December 2016. What has he got to do with Christmas, I hear you say! For starters, he participated in the original Band Aid single Do They Know It's Christmas (as did George Michael for that matter). But, also, Status Quo had a Christmas song entitled It's Christmas Time, which is regularly played on Christmas FM.

Another song that tends to get played on Christmas FM is Grown-Up Christmas List. One of the versions features Natalie Cole. She also did a version of The Christmas Song, a song her father Nat King Cole is most associated with ("Chestnuts Roasting on an Open File..."). Natalie Cole died on New Year's Eve 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Seems to me though that there is a bit of a backlash going on from certain quarters against those who do not buy into the whole fantasy of all this Christmas mullarkey.

Christmas, as many know can be a very emotional and sad time for many. Look at what lies beneath before calling out the Grinches and Scrooges please.
    It must be an absolutely horrible time for people going through emotional pain. It just emphasises what they've lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

blueshade wrote: »
    I think the message about spending Christmas with other people is important in the sense that Christmas can be an extremely lonely time for many people, it's also a bit of a peak time for suicide attempts. There's this forced jollity in ads and the message is pushed that Christmas is a lot of people sat around a huge table laden with all kinds of luxuries when for many people it's anything but that. Realistically most of us are a bit selfish and aren't thinking about anyone in our communities who are living alone and might not see anyone at all over Christmas.

May is the highest month for actual suicides. Followed closely by April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ah feck it, each to their own. Who cares?

Seems to me though that there is a bit of a backlash going on from certain quarters against those who do not buy into the whole fantasy of all this Christmas mullarkey.

Christmas, as many know can be a very emotional and sad time for many. Look at what lies beneath before calling out the Grinches and Scrooges please.

This year nobody in either my family or my husband’s family is bothered about presents. We haven’t discussed it at all. There is some sea change this year, like we’ve all simultaneously become fed up of the pressures of the season.

I won’t fully get into the spirit til I finish work but I love it. Thinking of presents and shopping can be a pain but it’s a small price to pay. Maybe when the parents are gone I won’t bother any more (probably won’t) but for now it’s what keeps me going from around September every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I had to get a new set of fairy lights for the tree. I don’t know they’re casting a weird light..... have the rads on yet it feels cold?! Definitely out of whack with the general tone If the place. They’re goin back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Food galore, sitting on your a** with not one responsibility for a week except watching your waistline expand. Throw in some drinks, movies, vid games and binge-worthy tv series and what's not to love.

That is literally my life outside of work. I've deliberately ensured to get to this point*, whereas most people my age have the stress of marriage, kids and mortgage, I don't. So Christmas is nothing special anyway, just surrounded by the same decorations, the same f*cking music, and the same 'everything is happy' BS that comes with it. People are free to enjoy it, just like I'm free not to! :D

*Granted, I had hoped it would be in my own house, but such is life.

Advertisement